Twitter takeover being considered by Google, Salesforce, other tech firms - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Several major tech corporations -- Google and Salesforce among them -- have allegedly expressed in buying Twitter, as much for the data the social network generates as its actual media revenue.

The company could receive a formal bid in the near future, sources told CNBC on Friday. One person claimed that the pace of talks is picking up, and a deal could be announced by the end of 2016.

The sources added that Twitter's board of directors are largely in favor of an acquisition. Despite the service's continued popularity, it has struggled with how to grow, and seen a number of high-level staff leave.

Earlier today Salesforce's "chief digital evangelist," Vala Afshar, took the unusual step of praising Twitter online after CNBC's news. That might suggest strong interest in a takeover, even though Salesforce is a largely enterprise-focused company.

Why @twitter?

1 personal learning network
2 the best realtime, context rich news
3 democratize intelligence
4 great place to promote others

-- Vala Afshar (@ValaAfshar)

It's unknown if Apple is among Twitter's interested parties. It failed to gain any traction with its past social media efforts, namely Ping and the Connect tab in Apple Music. In fact the recent refresh of Apple Music de-emphasizes Connect, hinting that Apple may be going in the opposite direction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I think it would be a mistake for Apple to even consider this. It doesn't fit into their product path.

I would like to see LinkedIn and Twitter be merged, though. That makes sense.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I kinda want Apple to buy them I kinda don't. 

• Reply 3 of 44
    I doubt an exec from Salesforce would be tweeting about how much he loves Twitter if this was close to being true.
    mike1
  • Reply 4 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple missed a golden opportunity to acquire Twitter before they went public and also clean up the product and bring it back to its roots. It was the perfect social network for Apple and even Dorsey acknowledged at the time that if they were to sell it would be to Apple. As of now Twitter is worth too much. Apple's Ping and Connect efforts suggest they have social ambitions so the opposite argument holds no water. They should have bought Twitter way back when and made Dorsey their social media exec. I cannot think of a more perfect fit. And while they were at it they could have hired Loren Brichter to work alongside Dorsey to build the perfect Twitter clients for Apple's platforms.
    edited September 2016 fotoformatbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 44
    If either of them purchases Twitter I will delete my Twitter account.
    SpamSandwichtallest skilcalibadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Not sure about "democratize intelligence". Evidence: AirPods reactions. 
    stompyperkedelnolamacguybadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 44
    No you won't. 
    nolamacguybadmonk
  • Reply 8 of 44
    cali said:

Shareholder?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I think it would be a mistake for Apple to even consider this. It doesn't fit into their product path.

LinkedIn, I detest.
    badmonk
  • Reply 10 of 44
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Apple would kill Twitter. There are too many Windows, Linux and Android fans that would refuse to use it. Twitter's success is partially due to being platform agnostic.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    mac-daddy said:
    No you won't. 
    You never know. When facebook acquired Instagram, I stopped using the service.
    mike1cali
  • Reply 12 of 44
    mac-daddy said:
    No you won't. 
    Wanna bet?
    SpamSandwichtallest skilmike1cali
  • Reply 13 of 44

I think Apple should consider buying Twitter and it would integrate very nicely with Messaging, Siri and tvOS.
    Twitter could be great for interactive TV and Twitter data is very valuable for all sorts of big data analytics and machine learning.
    Twitter could be a great services play for Apple.

Microsoft / LinkedIn should focus on integrating themselves and they would not know what to do with Twitter but then again I wonder about Salesforce's angle.

• Reply 14 of 44
    mac-daddy said:
    No you won't. 
    For me, I will keep my two Twitter accounts if Salesforce purchases Twitter. I will not hesitate to delete my Twitter account if Google purchases Twitter. Gmail is now my secondary email and is used 99.9% via the iOS email client. I do not use any other Google product nor any Facebook product.

I do not see Apple purchasing Twitter. I will not be upset if proven wrong. Amazed. Not upset.
    mike1
  • Reply 15 of 44
    cali said:

I'll go with a don't, too expensive
    ireland said:
    Apple missed a golden opportunity to acquire Twitter before they went public and also clean up the product and bring it back to its roots. It was the perfect social network for Apple and even Dorsey acknowledged at the time that if they were to sell it would be to Apple. As of now Twitter is worth too much. Apple's Ping and Connect efforts suggest they have social ambitions so the opposite argument holds no water. They should have bought Twitter way back when and made Dorsey their social media exec. I cannot think of a more perfect fit. And while they were at it they could have hired Loren Brichter to work alongside Dorsey to build the perfect Twitter clients for Apple's platforms.
    yeah they also missed instagram
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 44
    ireland said:
    I can think of zero synergies between Apple and Twitter. I can think of plenty negative synergies between the two, however. Also, before it went public, Twitter had a much smaller number of users than it currently does.

What exactly would Apple do with a 140-character communication system to meet its "social ambitions" (whatever those were)? Even Google and Microsoft -- almost entirely software companies -- couldn't make a go of their "social ambitions". Facebook has, for better or worse, run away with that market. Given that Facebook has aggressively pursued and bought high-priced social networking companies in the past (recall their $19B acquisition of WhatsApp a couple of years ago), the fact that they have had zero interest in Twitter tells us all we need to know about the quality of the asset.
    edited September 2016 thepixeldoc
  • Reply 17 of 44
    ireland said:
    I can think of zero synergies between Apple and Twitter. I can think of plenty negative synergies between the two, however. Also, before it went public, Twitter had a much smaller number of users than it currently does.

What exactly would Apple do with a 140-character communication system to meet its "social ambitions" (whatever those were)? Even Google and Microsoft -- almost entirely software companies -- couldn't make a go of their "social ambitions". Facebook has, for better or worse, run away with that market. Given that Facebook has aggressively pursued and bought high-priced social networking companies in the past (recall their $19B acquisition of WhatsApp a couple of years ago), the fact that they have had zero interest in Twitter tells us all we need to know about the quality of the asset.
    There would be nothing but downside for Apple. I could see Amazon buying it. I could see the NSA buying it.
    mike1
  • Reply 18 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    What would they actually need Twitter for?
    How would it help the brand?
    Could it generate profit?
    These are the questions any company would need to ask. Google would do it just to acquire data. Apple is not in the habit of offering unprofitable products.
    perkedelcali
  • Reply 19 of 44
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Twitter should be open source, dependent on contributions like Wikipedia. It rubs me the wrong way that a service that appears to be tantamount to speech on the internet is going to be pimped out to whatever company wants to data mine it the most.

propodiqatedothepixeldoc
  • Reply 20 of 44
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    ireland said:
    mac-daddy said:
    No you won't. 
    You never know. When facebook acquired Instagram, I stopped using the service.
    When Fox acquired Myspace, it was quickly abandoned.
    When Facebook acquired instagram, everyone abandoned it. It was a fad product to begin with.
    When Yahoo acquired Tumblr, I stopped using it... well mostly everyone reduced their usage knowing how god-awful Yahoo has been about product management.
    When Google acquired Youtube, it was largely independent until they tried to force G+ on everyone and turned it into a huge pain in the ass, and that also did nothing to curb the trolling on it. Google is now trying to turn Youtube into a social media platform (wtf google, you failed) so it would make sense for Google to try and acquire Twitter, but I have a feeling that they will screw it up, much like every acquisition, and people who already hate G+ will abandon it. Youtube is something that I think Google regrets buying much in the same way eBay regrets buying Skype. Back in 2007 there was much talk inside eBay about how eBay, Paypal and Skype were meant for each other, and now look at it.
    When Microsoft bought Skype, it shutdown it's own MSN messenger service, but people started abandoning Skype for other products, eventually Slack becoming the winner. This is again, because everyone who has handled Skype has ignored the core technology (a peer to peer messaging/VoIP product) and tried to take the P2P aspect out of it.
    Verizon bought AOL and is buying Yahoo, largely to expand their advertising base. If they bought Twitter you'd see Twitter become 60 second ads between tweets. 

Of all the suitors, Salesforce is probably the worst one, they've acquired 40 companies and extinguished them in favor of their own brand. You'd see Twitter become "Salesforce social messenger" or some dorky name. When I think salesforce, I don't think of a successful cloud computing company, I think of the CRM software it started with.

So what is the lesson nobody seems to be learning here? You can't buy a good product and turn it into your vision. If you don't honor the original products vision, it decays rather quickly and is abandoned. "Your" (as in the acquiring company) vision for the product is stupid.

volcantmaybadmonk