Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps adds power, simplicity to iPhone navigation

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple introduced a new look in Maps with iOS 10, but more importantly implemented key search and discovery features, as well as backend tools for app extensibility that make navigating everyday life a little more convenient.

The most apparent change in Maps is the design -- graphics are brighter and text is bolder, especially convenient for navigating while in the car. Working in cooperation with the revamped aesthetics are powerful functions for point of interest queries, navigation aids and handy features like placing a way finder for a parked car.

Search Bar and Searching Nearby Locations

As seen above, Apple incorporates a new search bar located in a swipe-able card at the bottom of the screen. Tapping on the search bar brings up familiar icons that represent nearby attractions. While the update includes the usual options such as Food and Gas Stations, a number of other categories have been added in iOS 10, including Travel, Health and Services.

Subcategories offer further information on nearby POIs, for example Services breaks into Beauty, Laundry, Banks and ATMs, Home Services, Pet Services and Post.

Under the Search Bar and icons are entries for previous searches and suggestions based on calendar appointments, favorite locations, home location and work address.

Adding Quick Stops

With Siri integration, Maps now offers users the ability to estimate how much extra time it will take to get to your final destination if you decide to take a detour. For example, adding a Quick Stop at a gas station or coffee shop automatically calculates additional time to a given route.

With a designation entered and navigation en route, slide the bottom menu up to reveal Gas Stations, Lunch, Coffee, Overview, Details and Audio icons. Click on the detour type to find information on nearby businesses.

Selecting an options and pressing the "Go" button adds the Quick Stop and switches the navigation view to direct toward that location. At the top of the screen is a "Resume Route" option, which can be tapped when a detour stop is completed.

Booking Reservations and Ride-shares

Thanks to third-party app integration, Maps can now be used to book restaurant reservations or hitch a ride with ride-sharing options like Uber and Lyft. Once a desired destination is located, tap on "Directions" to find information on the amount of time it will take to drive, the exact distance, the fastest route option and directions via Drive, Walk, Transit or Ride. Click on Ride for fare and wait time estimates for Uber and Lyft.

If a restaurant accepts OpenTable reservations it will be available next to the button offering you directions to the restaurant. However, you do have to download an app like OpenTable to book via the Maps app.

Finding Your Parked Car

The new Maps app also helps remember where your car is parked. Maps will automatically log an iPhone user's vehicle's location at the end of of a trip that does not end at a user's home address. The information can be quickly recalled as a Destination within Maps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Adding new features is nice, but the one thing I hope they have, or could, fix is when you search for something that you know is nearby your current view but Maps doesn't know about it and sends your map view half way around the world to something that partially matches your request. It needs to prompt you with the distance before it sends you more than a couple miles away.
    edited September 2016 patchythepiratetallest skiljony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Much improved. My number one ask was the ability to avoid highways. 

Now my number one ask is for bike routes.

iqatedo
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I think they've made a big step forwards with this release of Maps.  Especially with Car Play, where it is significantly better.

What I've not really worked out yet is whether or not there is an improvement in search accuracy (which I would argue was Apple Maps biggest weakness when compared with Google Maps).  Apple have always had the lead with UI design, and this has just served to move them further ahead, but Google have generally seemed to be more accurate.

I'd like to see Apple add bike routes as well, but, step by step it's getting better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The car finder requires either a Bluetooth connection to the car or CarPlay?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I used Apple Maps for walking to and from a destination today. I was 100% impressed with the updated UI/UX.

On a side note, since I was not using the iPhone connected to my Apple Watch, I wondered if Maps' ETA estimates would have been improved by accessing my Apple Watch Activity logs on the iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Car finder works fantastic. I did not know about it but I just tried it. Very nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    jfc1138 said:
    The car finder requires either a Bluetooth connection to the car or CarPlay?
    That's what I remember reading elsewhere. Which I suppose I understand, it could be difficult for Maps to determine if you parked, are in traffic, at a light, etc. However, it would be nice to be able to use the feature manually in Maps. One work around is to mark (used to be "drop a pin") your location when you park, because Maps does bring up recent marked locations when you search for a location.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    "With Siri integration, Maps now offers users the ability to estimate how much extra time it will take to get to your final destination if you decide to take a detour. For example, adding a Quick Stop at a gas station or coffee shop automatically calculates additional time to a given route. "

Really?! All this time I thought I was smart enough to know how long it takes to get gas or stop for lunch and incorporate into my plans. What was I thinking?

I do like the way Maps works for a while now. Two gripes that I don't remember noticing before...
    1. Where is the 3D/2D view selector?
    2. Why does it not remember my preferred map choice (satellite) and always defaults back to MAP?
    edited September 2016 king editor the gratebaconstang
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mike1 said:
    "With Siri integration, Maps now offers users the ability to estimate how much extra time it will take to get to your final destination if you decide to take a detour. For example, adding a Quick Stop at a gas station or coffee shop automatically calculates additional time to a given route. "

Really?! All this time I thought I was smart enough to know how long it takes to get gas or stop for lunch and incorporate into my plans. What was I thinking?

I do like the way Maps works for a while now. Two gripes that I don't remember noticing before...
    1. Where is the 3D/2D view selector?
    2. Why does it not remember my preferred map choice (satellite) and always defaults back to MAP?
    I've liked maps and so far like most of what I see with the update.
    When you do the 2 finger swipe up for 3D the 2D toggle shows in upper right.
    Agree with 2 except for me it does stay at satellite getting back in for a little while then goes away at some point.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I absolutely love the new dynamic traffic analysis in Maps. I've been using it extensively this week just to go to work and back home. I've had Maps re-route me several times on my trip to take subtle but important changes that have shaved several minutes off my normal 25 minute commute.
    I decided to listen to Maps more closely after seeing it suggest a different route one morning than my normal routine, and as soon as it realized I hadn't taken the route, added 6 minutes onto my commute time; I laughed, and then almost immediately had to stop as I was mired in a 2 mile long traffic jam -- one the Maps knew about, but I couldn't see due to a hill in front of me. And I was 7 minutes late to work.
    Since then, I've tried to follow the suggestions, and just about every time there's been a change, I've been able to see why as I take the alternate route and wave bye to my fellow motorists stuck in traffic. Some of the routes have been weird, but the time estimates have all been spot on. AI FTW.
    Thanks, Apple -- that's a huge win for me. Even if I do feel dorky for asking Siri for directions to work every morning...
    SpamSandwichbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    volcan said:
    Adding new features is nice, but the one thing I hope they have, or could, fix is when you search for something that you know is nearby your current view but Maps doesn't know about it and sends your map view half way around the world to something that partially matches your request. It needs to prompt you with the distance before it sends you more than a couple miles away.
    Yes, I agree. I also would like some kind of route planning. A separate tab for instance where you can enter a number of way points. I ride a motorcycle and often go on day trips. I imagine this would be handy for cyclists, too. 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Mine doesn't show Travel, Health and Services. How do I get them to show?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    volcan said:

I love Apple Maps, except for search. It blows my mind how terrible it is; it's not even 'just ok,' or 'not great,' it's terrible. One letter or digit off and what you are trying to find is impossible. Yet Maps confidently sends me multiple hours away to a completely obscure location that only vaguely matches my search request. At the very least, how hard can it be for Apple to program in a radius limit for non-obvious search results? It's so frustrating, mostly because such a basic fault taints what would otherwise be a terrific experience in almost every other way. I'm trying hard not to say the "E" word, but almost everything under his direction seems to be sloppy and un-Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I like the bigger font when making a quick glance to check directions. The route change notifications also seem stronger, however placing the acceptance button at the bottom of the screen (iOS 9.x was at the top) makes it difficult to use, if the phone is in a cup holder or "phone slot" in the center console. It has to be physically lifted to accept, whereas previously, you could accept at the top of the screen. If you do not accept it continually attempts to re-route you, even if you are on your chosen route.

I understand if you are walking or using transit, this is easier, but in the car it may attract unwanted attention.

Parked car feature is good with a timer showing when left - might help avoid a meter ticket!! 

Edit: typo
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Anyone know of a quick way to get home directions as before you could 3D touch and quickly get home directions with one click? Miss that feature a lot. Also find it annoying that the search field covers half the screen when opening the app after some time. And still don't understand why there is no button for zoom out for a truly one handed usability, very frustrating when driving.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    For car navigation, Waze is years ahead of Apple Maps.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mike1 said:

you do realize that's exactly the same crit old timers could say about new fangled phones telling you how to get where you're going, right?
  • Reply 18 of 18

alphaman said:
    Since then, I've tried to follow the suggestions, and just about every time there's been a change, I've been able to see why as I take the alternate route and wave bye to my fellow motorists stuck in traffic. Some of the routes have been weird, but the time estimates have all been spot on. AI FTW.
    Thanks, Apple -- that's a huge win for me. Even if I do feel dorky for asking Siri for directions to work every morning...
    fyi, you can set up a Maps card on the new lock screen view thing that is for common or expected trips. it will learn your work destination and time of day, so you don't need to request it every time.