Troubleshooting macOS Sierra: FileMaker, Logitech and Razer devices, 4k display issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    dachar said:
    This seems to me the worst upgrade in a few years.  I can't understand how Apple can release software that appears to have many hardware compatibility issues. I for one will not be upgrading ey.
    I've had fewer issues with this update than many in recent memory. Your results may vary.
    Soli
  • Reply 22 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wigby said:
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    Photoshop works fine for me, but it looks like Illustrator won't open.

UPDATE: They'll both open now, but Illustrator crashes when attempting to choose a font from the font panel. If a font is chosen from the top bar menu instead, it does not crash.
    JFI:  Muse CC has worked throughout all developer versions and still does on 10.12.1 glad to say.
  • Reply 23 of 51

williamh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Why are there FileMaker issues? 

But it’s all Apple’s fault, right?
    Filemaker is owned by Apple.  WTH.
    Pretty amazing they didn't sign up to be a macOS Sierra developer tester eh?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dachar said:
    This seems to me the worst upgrade in a few years.  I can't understand how Apple can release software that appears to have many hardware compatibility issues. I for one will not be upgrading ey.
    I've had fewer issues with this update than many in recent memory. Your results may vary.
    Every year I feel there are more stable betas—even from the first one—and stable releases, but others feel that releases are less stable.

Apple does have to service a lot more machines and the Internet has grown considerably since the first Mac OS X Public Beta "Kodiak" delivered on CD-ROM 16 years ago, so the number of people with issues has grown. Not to mention that the size and complexity of the SW has increased. But on the flip side, Apple doesn't really have that many more HW configurations, has considerably more beta testers (both developer and public), has an update every year instead of 3–4 years which allows for more gradual changes. All in all, I'd say that the odds are that major macOS issues are greatly reduced per capita.

edited September 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 51
    There's also problems with compatibility between Sierra and Fujitsu software for its ScanSnap scanners: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/topics20160914.html
  • Reply 26 of 51
    adrayven said:
    Parallels needs a patch as well. Not working well at ALL under Sierra. Windows drag really SLOOOOOW.. redraw sucks... Mouse moving is lagging very badly.
    What version of Parallels are you using? I'm using the previous Parallels Desktop 11 and haven't had any issues. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro. I run Parallels on my 5K iMac that is fully loaded with 32GB of RAM.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    rexbinary said:
    You know if Apple distributed beta copies of macOS before new releases so vendors could have their hardware drivers ready we wouldn't have these problem. Apple could even take it a step further and release public betas so end users could report problems to vendors as well.

See what I did there? :)
    Here, I'll save you the trouble. And thank you very much! https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 51
    tarfungo said:
    wigby said:
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    Unfortunately, your issue is unlikely to ever be resolved.   CS5 is a dead product.  Short of making some other move (Adobe Cloud or some other set of tools) you're probably going to be stuck on El Capitan for the duration. 
    Random idea, can you run a VM of El Capitan in Parallels to run CS5?
  • Reply 29 of 51
    rexbinary said:
    You know if Apple distributed beta copies of macOS before new releases so vendors could have their hardware drivers ready we wouldn't have these problem. Apple could even take it a step further and release public betas so end users could report problems to vendors as well.

See what I did there? :)
    Here, I'll save you the trouble. And thank you very much! https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
    /woosh!
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 51
    A GIANT FYI - After installing Siera my mac was incredibly sluggish with everything, pretty much unusable. I saw nothing on the net about this anywhere. Opened up monitor and saw CPU cores were all pegged and nothing was open. Turns out Seira re-indexes everything and does the same thing when you open photos for the first time. Plan on installing Seira and leaving it overnight to index, but would recommend to open photos and have it do it's thing only after it has already indexed everything on your drives or it will take a lot longer.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    jimthedj said:
    A GIANT FYI - After installing Siera my mac was incredibly sluggish with everything, pretty much unusable. I saw nothing on the net about this anywhere. Opened up monitor and saw CPU cores were all pegged and nothing was open. Turns out Seira re-indexes everything and does the same thing when you open photos for the first time. Plan on installing Seira and leaving it overnight to index, but would recommend to open photos and have it do it's thing only after it has already indexed everything on your drives or it will take a lot longer.

It was mentioned by me yesterday.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2894873/#Comment_2894873

• Reply 32 of 51
    There are issues with AFP. Connecting to external drives is a bit problematic. It could be authentication issue but keychain's integration is not working properly with external drives (NAS, Time Capsule). It will not connect automatically, and you would have to press 'Connect' every time, after the drive is disconnected, to connect back.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 51
    There's also problems with compatibility between Sierra and Fujitsu software for its ScanSnap scanners: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/topics20160914.html
    Mine works fine with several Macs all running macOS Sierra.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    WELL.. I have 3 Razer devices at the moment and had no problems with the mice (death adder and OLD pro click) But the black widow stealth kind of die on me after I updated the stupid synapse software. So i uninstalled it and it became alive. To me racers software on Mac is a waste but I do use it when play Arma3 and Call of Duty's on windows.
    Razer needs to really test better.

Then, once I updated to Sierra the volume and play/skip controls are no longer supported on Sierra. So I guess with a lil tweaking from Razer that will come back when they release next synapse.

For those who still have a dead keyboard but do not know how to fully uninstall synapse.. just use spotlight and search for "razer"  
    One of the results will be: uninstall synapse
  • Reply 35 of 51
    No problems here yet. Sierra has been good to go.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    First and foremost: the logitech software for MacOS has always been crap - this is prior to Sierra. However I have noticed that installing the latest version fixed the problem with my house - along with a few other issues which had been lingering (like the software reporting it as two mouses and it crashing constantly upon reboot.)
    Soli
  • Reply 37 of 51
    I've seen both the Logitech mouse and Dell 4K monitor issues. Lucky me. The mouse issue is most noticeable in Outlook, of all things. The Dell 4K display resolution issue is sporadic, sometimes the correct resolution settings appear and sometimes they don't.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    The USB issues are definitely being underplayed a little bit. In addition to kernel panics with Razer devices, people who use MIDI devices and external USB audio DACs are experiencing usability issues and kernel panics as well. I myself ran into kernel panics when playing music through a Nuforce uDAC 3. Some people have even reported sudden loss of USB connectivity that requires a full restart. 

On examining some of the kexts and other system files in Sierra, a lot of people are now theorizing that Apple may some incredibly drastic changes to the USB and USB audio subsystems. If you're worried about support for your peripherals, you may want to hold off on this upgrade until 10.12.1.
    We've had reports of this, and we've been looking into it -- but don't have a lot to say about it just yet. Personally, I've had the problem you talk about with a DacMagic XS.
    how's the report coming on the so called "touch disease"? or has that controversy fallen off the radar now?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    dachar said:
    jesus. because things change and it's up to hardware vendors to supply current drivers for their crap. that's their actual job. when they don't do it, they break. 

but yeah, blame apple. all a conspiracy to upset you by making things crappier. 
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The USB issues are definitely being underplayed a little bit. In addition to kernel panics with Razer devices, people who use MIDI devices and external USB audio DACs are experiencing usability issues and kernel panics as well. I myself ran into kernel panics when playing music through a Nuforce uDAC 3. Some people have even reported sudden loss of USB connectivity that requires a full restart. 

On examining some of the kexts and other system files in Sierra, a lot of people are now theorizing that Apple may some incredibly drastic changes to the USB and USB audio subsystems. If you're worried about support for your peripherals, you may want to hold off on this upgrade until 10.12.1.
    We've had reports of this, and we've been looking into it -- but don't have a lot to say about it just yet. Personally, I've had the problem you talk about with a DacMagic XS.
    how's the report coming on the so called "touch disease"? or has that controversy fallen off the radar now?
    Fine, thanks. Has not fallen off the radar.