Video: Unboxing Apple's ceramic Apple Watch Edition

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2016
For the 2016 version of its luxe Apple Watch Edition model, Apple swapped out a proprietary gold blend in favor of all white ceramic, a material that boasts a pearlescent sheen and is four times harder than stainless steel. AppleInsider gives the device a proper unboxing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    But can you wear it after Labor Day?
    Solislprescottwlympscooter63ktappelevitallest skilfolk fountainbigpicsforgot username
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Well done on the video!  Watch looks great.  It's cool that they give you the circular dock to go with it...
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 43
    If these super expensive Apple watches could have their internal electronics replaced as technology improves I could almost understand them because, at least the casing and form factor could be timeless. But as it is these things are just nuts. They're not even good as a "status symbol" after a couple years.

Edit: Oh for some reason I thought I saw the price for this new model at $10,000. They're actually $1300. That's more in line with a status symbol price for something that loses its cool factor in a couple years.
    edited September 2016 fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 43
    What, no white-suited Mickey for the Edition?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I really don't get why they didn't do a ceramic black, to go with the glossy black iPhone. I think in general a ceramic black would sell better anyway. But yeah ... if we're moving to an annual upgrade cycle, I don't see much value to investing in these upper end watch casings. As someone who paid the extra for stainless last time, I'll just get aluminium this time.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Mickey watchface is the first thing I deleted from my watch. F****ing ugly. As a kid I always skipped Mickey stories and only read the Donald ones.
    edited September 2016 spice-boybigpics
  • Reply 7 of 43
    I really don't get why they didn't do a ceramic black, to go with the glossy black iPhone. I think in general a ceramic black would sell better anyway. But yeah ... if we're moving to an annual upgrade cycle, I don't see much value to investing in these upper end watch casings. As someone who paid the extra for stainless last time, I'll just get aluminium this time.
    They couldn't do ceramic black because Rosenthal (china ware) has a patent on that. Everything on the market is painted porcelain but not solid. And that is what people would expect from Apple.
    Soli
  • Reply 8 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eyekey said:
    Mickey watchface is the first thing I deleted from my watch.
    I can't say I've ever understood the Mickey Mouse watch face interest. 
    spice-boybigpics
  • Reply 9 of 43
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I expect SOME future iPhone to be ceramic, and yes, in many colors, especially black.

I think the Gold Watch edition was an experiment and that this ceramic watch is the same;  A way of testing new casting and machining tech on a profitable, but relatively low (compared to the iPhone) volume.
    Soliredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 43
    eyekey said:
    Mickey watchface is the first thing I deleted from my watch. F****ing ugly. As a kid I always skipped Mickey stories and only read the Donald ones.

The Edition should have a Scrooge McDuck face.
    spice-boybigpicskevin kee
  • Reply 11 of 43
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    If these super expensive Apple watches could have their internal electronics replaced as technology improves I could almost understand them because, at least the casing and form factor could be timeless. But as it is these things are just nuts. They're not even good as a "status symbol" after a couple years.

Edit: Oh for some reason I thought I saw the price for this new model at $10,000. They're actually $1300. That's more in line with a status symbol price for something that loses its cool factor in a couple years.
    My ex used to work for a designer clothing and handbag store in a upper middle class to wealthy area. She had several regular customers who bought a bag from the new line with every season - most selling for several thousand dollars. They wouldn't be caught wearing one from a previous season. The old bags I assume were stored in a closet somewhere. They wouldn't think twice about buying a $1300 watch only to be used for a year.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 43
    eriamjh said:
    I expect SOME future iPhone to be ceramic, and yes, in many colors, especially black.

I think the Gold Watch edition was an experiment and that this ceramic watch is the same;  A way of testing new casting and machining tech on a profitable, but relatively low (compared to the iPhone) volume.
    Ming-chi Kuo noted that Apple was experimenting with all glass and ceramic designs as iPhone cases. The latter would certainly be easier to work with and provide better protection. I think we'll see more of this material, along with finishes similar to the Jet Black iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I suspect so owners could show it off - use it as a conversation piece. Though a black ceramic watch would be stunning, I suspect it would look too much like a space black case, and not have the same desire effect. The white looks really premium. It also comes with a hint of nostalgia for the white MacBook.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    That's a lot of money for a watch that looks like it is made out of plastic.
    Here is what a white "ceramic" iPhone would look like.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 15 of 43
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Soli said:
    eyekey said:
    Mickey watchface is the first thing I deleted from my watch.
    I can't say I've ever understood the Mickey Mouse watch face interest. 
    I would like a Donal Duck watch face.
    in the mean time my wife loves her Miney mouse watch face, specially when she taps it and it tells the time
  • Reply 16 of 43
    grangerfx said:
    Mind you, things change the moment you strap it on your wrist.  It's apparently very durable and should stay looking nice unless you have a really bad accident (say, dropping it from several feet up on to a hard floor).  My biggest beef: that white makes it hard to find a suitable alternative strap beyond what's in the box.
    stevenoz
  • Reply 17 of 43

even for the gold it remains a status symbol -- in fact a bigger one because only the super super wealthy could afford a $10,000 gizmo with limited life span. 

that being said, it's been two years since the AW1 was announced and i'm not upgrading my SS model, so will i perhaps get another 2 years out of it? that's a total of 4 years. even if i had a $10,000 model that's only $2500 a year. to the very rich that's absolutely nothing to be concerned about. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 18 of 43
    who said they're moving to an annual cycle? it's been 2 years since the last watch announcement. but even if they were it wouldn't be rational to think you had to upgrade every year. most people don't upgrade their phones every year.  (readers here being an obvious exception)

there's already a shiny black SS model.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 19 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    But can you wear it after Labor Day?
    In the tropics it's totally acceptable.  ;)
  • Reply 20 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

grangerfx said:
    Here I was thinking they were all just Melamine! ;)