Snapchat announces Spectacles video-recording sunglasses, available this fall for $130

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Snap, Inc., the company formerly known as Snapchat, on Friday announced its first hardware product in Spectacles, a $130 pair of sunglasses with an embedded camera that captures 10-second point-of-view video clips at the tap of a button.

Snap, Inc. CEO Evan Spiegel pictured wearing Spectacles. | Source: The Wall Street Journal

Revealed to the The Wall Street Journal by company cofounder and CEO Evan Spiegel, Spectacles are designed to break free from the literally square confines of conventional smartphone video by recording circular footage from a first-person vantage point. The effect, Spiegel says, is akin to reliving a memory.

"It's one thing to see images of an experience you had, but it's another thing to have an experience of the experience," he said. "It was the closest I'd ever come to feeling like I was there again."

Despite the WSJ's lengthy writeup, little is known about the actual product set to ship this fall. The report notes Spectacles achieve footage akin to human vision by utilizing a 115-degree-angle lens, though it is unclear if the glasses feature two lenses, as suggested by the photo above. A button located near one of Spectacles' hinges -- likely the left side, again gleaned from the photo -- starts the recording process, wirelessly transmitting 10-second clips to a host smartphone for easy sharing.

Battery life, weight, available onboard storage and other basic device specifications are at this point unknown.

In any case, Spiegel views Spectacles as a lark, not a major revenue driver. Users might wear the glasses for fun at a barbecue or concert, the publication muses. That being said, Spiegel hinted at potential far-reaching implications (big money) if Snapchat app were to gain control over camera hardware instead of relying on smartphone surrogates like iPhone.

Alongside Spectacles, Spiegel announced Snapchat has been renamed to Snap, Inc., as the company now offers more than app-based sharing of ephemeral photos and video. The CEO imagines Snap, Inc. a camera company, not a social media platform, the report says. Comparing it to Kodak and Polaroid, Spiegel says, "First it was make a photo [...] Then it was take a photo [...] And finally it became give a photo."

Priced at $130 and available in black, coral and teal, Spectacles will see limited release later this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    "...Spectacles will see limited release later this fall."

Should probably read, "Limited project will spectacularly fall after release ."
    baconstangnolamacguydoozydozenidreylkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Snap Inc are going to corner the ironic and gag gift market!
    baconstangnolamacguypscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    NERD ALERT
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Hate the round videos it produces.
    teejay2012
  • Reply 5 of 55
    YES!
    For less than a tenth of the price of Google Glass, you can proudly declare "I'm a loser!".

edited September 2016 slprescottwilliamlondonnolamacguylkrupppscooter63jony0
  • Reply 6 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    You all can laugh all you want, this is a seriously interesting product, if it can have two cameras

The real applications — or implications — would be revolutionary, if that were the case. 
    kudu
  • Reply 7 of 55

macseeker said:
    Hate the round videos it produces.
    Please link to where you've seen these "round videos."

Edit: Never mind, I see the videos are at Recode and elsewhere. They're just wide angle shots, seems to me, which I don't care for either. But then they're in 2D, which is the real problem.

I'm pretty sure that the whole thrust of this device is toward 3D video, meaning it will eventually have two cameras, if it doesn't already. And that will make all the difference. Being one-eyed and split-brained was the creepiest thing about Google Glass. Not to mention it was aimed at left-brained Google types — no accident the camera was on the right side, in other words.

Snap's approach seems to be different.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 8 of 55
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Geniuses release a sunglasses product in the fall.
    frantisekfotoformatperkedel
  • Reply 10 of 55
    When I see ridiculous looking contraptions such as this, it reminds me why I like Apple's products so much. Simplicity being the word.
    For years we've been hearing pundits talk about Apple's lack of innovation and how companies such as Google are doing great stuff with Project Ara or Glass. Where are they now?
    I'm willing to bet that in few weeks time, this thing will be nothing more than an afterthought. 
    nolamacguycaliwlymlkruppdysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Being one-eyed and split-brained was the creepiest thing about Google Glass.
    Not even close.  The creepiest thing is that you never know if you're being recorded and you are recorded without your consent. It's just wrong. There's a reason the users are/were called "Glassholes."
    williamlondonperkedelkududysamoriabaconstangmac_dogpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 55
    ...I use http://www.liquidimageco.com/collections/all-sport goggles & find them excellent... A sunglasses option suitable for water sports might be compelling, even better with a 3D option...?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Is this … a joke?
    dysamoriaButidonttweetpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 55
    my god they're awful. 

cameras are small. tech is small. why do these companies keep failing to put their tech into the folding arms of the glasses, rather than bolting it on top? think about apple's Airpods, they've put all the tech into the stems to achieve the same form factor. until glasses makers do the same they're DOA. 
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 15 of 55
    williamh said:
    Being one-eyed and split-brained was the creepiest thing about Google Glass.
    Not even close.  The creepiest thing is that you never know if you're being recorded and you are recorded without your consent. It's just wrong. There's a reason the users are/were called "Glassholes."
    True, that is an obvious reason. I am giving a deeper, subconscious reason. One-eyedness and facial asymmetry are used to convey sinister character or intent; any horror flick make-up artist knows this. 

Glass inspired instant, visceral hatred whether it was turned on or not. We're wired from infancy to respond favorably to an evenly bilateral, binocular face. 
    edited September 2016 nolamacguydysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 55
    I just spent 10 minutes resetting my password and signing back on to appleinsider just to say.

YUK!

It isn't April 1... surely this is a joke? Right? 
    kududysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Privacy?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Well users can't be Glassholes. So what to call them? 
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Back in the golden age of science fiction (last century lol) featured an author saying that photo eyeglasses would eliminate crime etc. I forget if it was Clark
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Editing in this app is so very broken :-(
    calidysamoria