Video: Unboxing Apple's ceramic Apple Watch Edition

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 43
    That mouse made me lose my watch boner instantly.
  • Reply 22 of 43

    grangerfx said:
    That's a lot of money for a watch that looks like it is made out of plastic.
    Here is what a white "ceramic" iPhone would look like.
    Here I was thinking they were all just Melamine! ;)
    That's my current iPhone, Bro! :) I've always had an affinity for the "white" plastic Apple stuff.

    I still have a working original white Intel 20" iMac running SL sitting on a desk in my den. I never use it, but can't bring myself to recycle it just yet. Also, loved my original white macbook...long gone tho. 

    P.S. $1,300 is too much to spend on the Apple Watch. :)

    Best
  • Reply 23 of 43
    I wish Apple had designed a better "matching" complimentary band for this watch besides that cheap plastic thing.
    stevenoz
  • Reply 24 of 43

    I really don't get why they didn't do a ceramic black, to go with the glossy black iPhone. I think in general a ceramic black would sell better anyway. But yeah ... if we're moving to an annual upgrade cycle, I don't see much value to investing in these upper end watch casings. As someone who paid the extra for stainless last time, I'll just get aluminium this time.
    who said they're moving to an annual cycle? it's been 2 years since the last watch announcement. but even if they were it wouldn't be rational to think you had to upgrade every year. most people don't upgrade their phones every year.  (readers here being an obvious exception)

    there's already a shiny black SS model.
    Yeah, I think Apple wants to get off the "every year" cycle. Kind of like what they do with the iMac-find a great form factor and make internal upgrades for 5 years. Smart.

    I still think my original Apple Watch is a bit "thick," but I'm glad they didn't make the Series 2 thinner. I'll be upgrading to the S-2 (48mm) around June for the Swim feature (and the GPS for running). Can't wait.

    Best
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I think every year we will see only one special edition watch, so you only have one chance to buy it and then it's gone for good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    When it's available in black, you've got a deal! 
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Nice video but close ups of the ceramic part itself would have been very helpful. 

    I confess, this is tempting. 
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    xsmixsmi Posts: 138member
    Has Apple made a square face for the Apple Watch? The round inside the square casing has ALWAYS looked odd to me. 
  • Reply 29 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    xsmi said:
    Has Apple made a square face for the Apple Watch? The round inside the square casing has ALWAYS looked odd to me. 
    You mean an analog watch face that pulls the watch face to the corners? I haven't seen it, and I doubt we will since it kills the opportunity to include complications in the corners.

    Personally, I don't kniw anyone that uses the analog watch watches. Seems like a waist of a smartwatch's core benefits. 

  • Reply 30 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,241member
    Soli said:
    xsmi said:
    Has Apple made a square face for the Apple Watch? The round inside the square casing has ALWAYS looked odd to me. 
    You mean an analog watch face that pulls the watch face to the corners? I haven't seen it, and I doubt we will since it kills the opportunity to include complications in the corners.

    Personally, I don't kniw anyone that uses the analog watch watches. Seems like a waist of a smartwatch's core benefits. 

    I do. The only non-"analog" watchfaces I use are the ones with photos/city animation as backgrounds.

    The "modular" face looks ugly as shit to me; actually, I have one "cinema" face based upon it that turns off everything - everything - except the time itself, shown in red. I've used it once, I think - in a cinema.

    The "core benefits", to me, are beauty with unobtrusive notification and streamlined, simple interface for accessing the most important notifications. The modular face in its default configs seems inelegant, cluttered, and overbearing. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 31 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    spheric said:
    Soli said:
    xsmi said:
    Has Apple made a square face for the Apple Watch? The round inside the square casing has ALWAYS looked odd to me. 
    You mean an analog watch face that pulls the watch face to the corners? I haven't seen it, and I doubt we will since it kills the opportunity to include complications in the corners.

    Personally, I don't kniw anyone that uses the analog watch watches. Seems like a waist of a smartwatch's core benefits. 

    I do. The only non-"analog" watchfaces I use are the ones with photos/city animation as backgrounds.

    The "modular" face looks ugly as shit to me; actually, I have one "cinema" face based upon it that turns off everything - everything - except the time itself, shown in red. I've used it once, I think - in a cinema.

    The "core benefits", to me, are beauty with unobtrusive notification and streamlined, simple interface for accessing the most important notifications. The modular face in its default configs seems inelegant, cluttered, and overbearing. 
    I hadn't heard of the cinema face. I looked it up and saw an AI article on creating one. I just turned mine Watch off, but that's much nicer, considering how long it takes to turn on.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Soli said:
    xsmi said:
    Has Apple made a square face for the Apple Watch? The round inside the square casing has ALWAYS looked odd to me. 
    You mean an analog watch face that pulls the watch face to the corners? I haven't seen it, and I doubt we will since it kills the opportunity to include complications in the corners.

    Personally, I don't kniw anyone that uses the analog watch watches. Seems like a waist of a smartwatch's core benefits. 

    i do - a trimmed down Utility with three complications. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 43
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    eyekey said:
    Mickey watchface is the first thing I deleted from my watch. F****ing ugly. As a kid I always skipped Mickey stories and only read the Donald ones.
    Mickey was (and is) a tool.  Donald and others, Goofy and Pluto, were OK, but outside of Donald it was the Warner Brothers stable that had all the real anarachic pizazz....  ...Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Sylvester, Tweety, Porky, Yosemite Sam, Martin the Martian, Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner, Foghorn C. Leghorn, etc. 

    Apple's just hooked with the wrong licensee company here by an accident of history going back to Steve's relationship with Disney.  But they have access to the Marvel Superheroes if they want 'em....
  • Reply 34 of 43
    bigpics said:
    …an accident of history going back to Steve’s relationship with Disney.
    How long before Disney buys Warner Bros?  >:) :(
    bigpics
  • Reply 35 of 43
    eyekey said:
    I really don't get why they didn't do a ceramic black, to go with the glossy black iPhone. I think in general a ceramic black would sell better anyway. But yeah ... if we're moving to an annual upgrade cycle, I don't see much value to investing in these upper end watch casings. As someone who paid the extra for stainless last time, I'll just get aluminium this time.
    They couldn't do ceramic black because Rosenthal (china ware) has a patent on that. Everything on the market is painted porcelain but not solid. And that is what people would expect from Apple.
    Cite?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,500member
    bigpics said:
    …an accident of history going back to Steve’s relationship with Disney.
    How long before Disney buys Warner Bros? 
    Where's Hanna  Barbera in all this?   Tom and Jerry would be cool.

    As an aside, I was so shocked to learn from my daughter I could not let my granddaughter watch Tom and Jerry as 'it is so inappropriate for children' ...jeez what is the world coming to?  I want Itchy and Scratchy back!  
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 37 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    bigpics said:
    …an accident of history going back to Steve’s relationship with Disney.
    How long before Disney buys Warner Bros? 
    Where's Hanna  Barbera in all this?   Tom and Jerry would be cool.

    As an aside, I was so shocked to learn from my daughter I could not let my granddaughter watch Tom and Jerry as 'it is so inappropriate for children' ...jeez what is the world coming to?  I want Itchy and Scratchy back!  
    There's a lot of racially insensitive content in a lot of old cartoons. There are plenty of YouTube videos that have compiled these clips.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Soli said:
    There's a lot of racially insensitive content in a lot of old cartoons.
    Who gives a shit? It’s a fucking cartoon. The content isn’t endemic.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    Soli said:
    There's a lot of racially insensitive content in a lot of old cartoons.
    Who gives a shit? It’s a fucking cartoon. The content isn’t endemic.
    So you're claiming that pro-Nazi cartoons are good for children? How exactly does being a cartoon automatically make it patently unoffensive?

    One could argue that your increasingly hateful rhetoric is proof that the content can have ill effects on certain individual's ability to feel empathy.




    edited September 2016
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Soli said:
    So you’re claiming that pro-Nazi cartoons are good for children? How exactly does being a cartoon automatically make it patently unoffensive?
    You’re better than this. You know what you’re doing here. And you’ll want to watch that Disney one again if you think it’s pro-Nazi.
    …empathy.
    I don’t have empathy for people who don’t deserve it. Read: people who, when presented with objective truth, reject it. That’s it. Moral relativists get nothing from me but disdain. They either have to save themselves or they get to enjoy the fruits of their work.
Sign In or Register to comment.