Review: Apple Watch Series 2 is a great improvement, but watchOS 3 steals the show

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    That was an excellent review. Thank you!
    I am quite happy with OS3 on my first generation watch.
    I am glad that Apple did not reserve it for the second generation to force us to upgrade. Many other companies would have done just that.
    Absolutely agree. I'm not an athlete and typically take off any jewelry before swimming. While OS3 is a wonderful update, I'll be waiting for Watch Series 3 next year.
    albegarc
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    watchOS3 is killing the battery on my series 1 Apple Watch. Used to get 16 hours and have 30-40% left at night. My Apple Watch is now dead after about 6 hours, making the watch unusable. I've reported it to Apple; the rep has acknowledged the problems and expects an update to solve. Many people on the forums are reporting it.
    I kind of understand when there are multiple CPU/GPU/board combinations across 5+ years for an OS, but with Apple Watch there's just the one S-series SIP. I've, personally, gotten better battery life since the betas. 
    I took all third party apps off, tried multiple restart and re-parings. Easily <1/3 my previous battery life now. Have to wait for a OS update to make my watch usable again. Too bad - I liked and used it a every day for a year and a half. Goes in the drawer for now.
    Is it possible reinstall watchOS, or just wipe it when you unpair it? It's such chore considering how long it takes, too. The size of the OS compared to the communication and processor performance isn't very good. Maybe that will change (next year?) when BT 5.0 is introduced.
    Did that 2x. Tried both reinstalls from backup and even as a new watch. Nada.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    watchOS3 is killing the battery on my series 1 Apple Watch. Used to get 16 hours and have 30-40% left at night. My Apple Watch is now dead after about 6 hours, making the watch unusable. I've reported it to Apple; the rep has acknowledged the problems and expects an update to solve. Many people on the forums are reporting it.
    I kind of understand when there are multiple CPU/GPU/board combinations across 5+ years for an OS, but with Apple Watch there's just the one S-series SIP. I've, personally, gotten better battery life since the betas. 
    I took all third party apps off, tried multiple restart and re-parings. Easily <1/3 my previous battery life now. Have to wait for a OS update to make my watch usable again. Too bad - I liked and used it a every day for a year and a half. Goes in the drawer for now.
    Is it possible reinstall watchOS, or just wipe it when you unpair it? It's such chore considering how long it takes, too. The size of the OS compared to the communication and processor performance isn't very good. Maybe that will change (next year?) when BT 5.0 is introduced.
    I have a dev account. If you've like to grab the latest beta in hopes that in solves your issue, I can send you the watch profile.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Why not downgrade? Isn't Apple still signing the old version?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 25 of 49
    foggyhill said:
    Why not downgrade? Isn't Apple still signing the old version?
    One MAJOR drawback to that is that you have to send it in to Apple. I think the actual service is free if you're covered under your regular 12 month warranty or the 12 month warranty of AC+. I don't recall if they pay for shipping, or not. Still, that seems like a chore to me.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    I have a dev account. If you've like to grab the latest beta in hopes that in solves your issue, I can send you the watch profile.
    I thought about the beta, but it first requires the iOS10 beta too right? And I'm not familiar with use of a profile. I appreciate your help though - sure like to get this solved.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    I thought about the beta, but it first requires the iOS10 beta too right? And I'm not familiar with use of a profile. I appreciate your help though - sure like to get this solved.
    I believe iOS 10, but not its beta.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Funny, I found the Series 2 a musthave upgrade, as I always wanted my Apple Watch to be a swimming companion.

On the contrary, I am happy to save money as I see nothing particularly striking in the iPhone 7 (compared to my 6S)
  • Reply 29 of 49
    I hate my Apple Watch. It has so much potential but it just never works reliably. 9 times out of ten I just get my phone out as I watch the little spinner endlessly loop on the watch. No matter if its trying to über, get directions or look at text messages everything is just hit and miss. I had high hopes for Watch OS3 but mehh it made bugger all difference.

Exercising with it also pointless as the screen always turns itself off when you run and you can't just quickly glance at the watch while running usually you have to run awkwardly waiting for the face to turn on, also the timer on the thing sucks.

Things may be better with Watch 2 but currently I tell everyone that its my most regrettable purchase from Apple. Yeah I still wear mine everyday as a time piece but all the cool stuff just does not work smoothly.

I don't think you'd feel this way with a Series 2. I upgraded from an original Watch and find that the examples you cited are not a problem (anymore). 
  • Reply 30 of 49
    linkman said:
    The rest of the possible hardware changes remain obvious, though their necessity is debatable depending on each user's particular needs. Some features, like integrated Touch ID or a FaceTime camera, seem superfluous. Others, like blood pressure or blood oxygen level monitoring, could appeal to a certain subset of the market.
    Blood pressure monitoring in a device like a watch would require using pulse wave monitoring, which is currently in the experimental stage. It would probably have worse accuracy than the oft-criticized heart rate monitoring. The only other non-invasive method is a blood pressure cuff, and that would be interesting to add to the watch and band. I'd suspect it would make for a rather large device.
    Qardio makes a BT one that connects to the AW. 
  • Reply 31 of 49
    cmaus said:
    Funny, I found the Series 2 a musthave upgrade, as I always wanted my Apple Watch to be a swimming companion.

On the contrary, I am happy to save money as I see nothing particularly striking in the iPhone 7 (compared to my 6S)
    Hmm... I'm kind of in your camp. Will purchase Series 2 (NIKE) because of swimming proof and having the activity recorded but wait for next gen iPhone because 7 doesn't have dual camera.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    I hate my Apple Watch. It has so much potential but it just never works reliably. 9 times out of ten I just get my phone out as I watch the little spinner endlessly loop on the watch. No matter if its trying to über, get directions or look at text messages everything is just hit and miss. I had high hopes for Watch OS3 but mehh it made bugger all difference.

Exercising with it also pointless as the screen always turns itself off when you run and you can't just quickly glance at the watch while running usually you have to run awkwardly waiting for the face to turn on, also the timer on the thing sucks.

Things may be better with Watch 2 but currently I tell everyone that its my most regrettable purchase from Apple. Yeah I still wear mine everyday as a time piece but all the cool stuff just does not work smoothly.

Kind of understand where you're coming from. Instant feedback is essential for the watch but I guess we have to wait for CPU/GPU and battery to catch up.
    That said i'm much more happy and less annoyed with OS 3 on my gen 1 watch. SIRI is usable again.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    If I remember correctly, the first applewatch also got a solid 4 out of 5.
    has the scoring methodology changed to have a superior product rate as well than the lesser product?
    mayve the first watch wasn't worth the 4 in the first place (just as much as this one doesn't deserve it either)
  • Reply 34 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Ejecting water out of the speaker cavity post swimming exercise — neat!

but what about after taking a shower? Would seem like a good idea to remove corrosive water in any situation where water may intrude.

Is there a software mechanism to eject water other than ending a swimming exercise? 
    And why is it so hard to just take off the damn watch before shower? Duh!
    edited September 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 49

easy to fix: $269 at Apple store to get rid of that little spinner on the watch.
    robin huberbb-15
  • Reply 36 of 49
    I won't upgrade Apple Watch until it can sync remotely with the phone through any free WiFi meaning that I can even actually make WiFi calls from the watch away from the phone. That won't be long hopefully.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 37 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    blitz1 said:
    If I remember correctly, the first applewatch also got a solid 4 out of 5.
    has the scoring methodology changed to have a superior product rate as well than the lesser product?
    mayve the first watch wasn't worth the 4 in the first place (just as much as this one doesn't deserve it either)
    Yep I knew that the original apple watch must be kind of bad if the OS was so un-intuitive that Apple was scheduling 15 training sessions before selling them.
    This was a major sign of bad UI/UX design in the watchOS 1.x.

And all the promotion that they were doing with the gold Apple Watch editions (giving them away to celebrities and fashion designers) was marketing overkill 
    for a company where the products can usually sell them selves).    I bet you none of these giftees are still using their watches.

The one really innovative feature of the Watch was the watch band connection mechanism.

It was good to see both the watch and OS improve this time.    Hopefully by the 4th or 5th model it will actually be a good product
    but that really depends up SIRI also being very good (not just getting to decent) as voice should be the primary interface for interacting with the watch.

I'm really curios if there are any half way decent Android Wear watches that work with the iPhone.    
  • Reply 38 of 49
    fallenjt said:
    I won't upgrade Apple Watch until it can sync remotely with the phone through any free WiFi meaning that I can even actually make WiFi calls from the watch away from the phone. That won't be long hopefully.
    That's not likely to happen. You can't have your phone on a network in Wichita and think you can make a phone call from Kyoto simply because you're on WiFi. The call quality would be exceptionally poor and conversations would have too many pauses. It would be a satellite news interview by 5x worse.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Soli said:
    Ejecting water out of the speaker cavity post swimming exercise — neat!

but what about after taking a shower? Would seem like a good idea to remove corrosive water in any situation where water may intrude.

Is there a software mechanism to eject water other than ending a swimming exercise? 
    I don't think it's necessary unless you submerge the device and cause water to replace the air pockets. This isn't likely to happen with a shower unless you really soak the device or get a water jet right in the speaker holes. Now that they have two mic and two speaker holes, the air flow will allow water to be removed more naturally over Series 1, and I can't say it was a problem then, even while I used it when swimming.

But it's a moot point since I think there's an always-available option to remove water.

The most important new feature beyond speed or GPS is its water resistance and inside a comprehensive review of the device the most Apple friendly website gives and it eschews away its lack of an opinion on said water resistance by excusing itself because theyre gym doesn't have a fucking pool?
    Ridiculously insufficient. Corrupts the entire piece. Garbage.
    spheric
  • Reply 40 of 49
    The most important new feature beyond speed or GPS is its water resistance and inside a comprehensive review of the device the most Apple friendly website gives and it eschews away its lack of an opinion on said water resistance by excusing itself because theyre gym doesn't have a fucking pool? 
    Ridiculously insufficient. Corrupts the entire piece. Garbage.
    One "eschews," not "eschews away." Corrupts the entire response. Garbage. 
    ibillnhughesspherictcuprof