The Verge founding member Chris Ziegler worked at Apple for two months before leaving website

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    entropys said:
    You do understand, qwwera, that you just described modern 'journalism' in all its forms? 

The fourth estate have come to believe they are players, rather than observers. They form a club, divergent opinion is cast out, and anything that does not align with the club's rules and views is either pilloried, or more effectively, turfed in the forgettery and not reported.

Half-ass reviews with a touch of sensationalism, hastily put together by amateurs and rushed out to be click-bait first??

Yes I gues you're right.  
    That's modern joourmalism. In the olden days there were monopolies that would dictate the news.
    Now TMZ and Fox News are the Gold Standard. 
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 22 of 43
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Nilay's an ass, anyone else remember his "Old white guy" comment?  Or his bitch about the Apple Watch style while wearing a goofy leather strap?

http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

That he was missing for over a month speaks volumes about the culture at The Verge.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguySpamSandwichperkedelcalilostkiwiwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 23 of 43
    esoom said:
    Nilay's an ass, anyone else remember his "Old white guy" comment?  Or his bitch about the Apple Watch style while wearing a goofy leather strap?

http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

That he was missing for over a month speaks volumes about the culture at The Verge.
    So he shops at Hot Topic. I can't believe he brags about that like its a badge of honor. What a complete loser! 15 yr old mall kids would laugh at him as an old man. 
    nolamacguycalitallest skilwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The last article signed with his name is dated to July 1. So he hasn't written anything since he joined Apple, or a few days before. The situation is strange. But he doesn't seem to have done anything as a writer, or editorially that was improper. Just perhaps collecting two saleries for a short while.
    calilostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    "Conflict of interest" because The Verge is paid by iPhone knockoffs to bash Apple.
    It is strange considering how much Apple gets knocks on that site. They gave the iPhone 7 a 9.0 in their review, which seems great until you realize the Galaxy Note 7 got a 9.3. Sure, they aren't measuring the battery issue in their review, but after ooking at, holding, using, and comparing benchmarks from both I don't see how the Note 7 would be ahead of the iPhone.
    edited September 2016 SpamSandwichcalikudulostkiwinolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

i wouldn't trust a word Patel says. 

OMG I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed how ridiculous his comment was.
    SpamSandwichcalilostkiwiwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Soli said:

OMG I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed how ridiculous his comment was.
    For me, his "high point" came when he went on the This Week In Tech podcast and was drunk and combative. Judging only by what I've been seeing, he's probably an alcoholic who has been pushing out all of his coworkers with his behavior. IMO, he's a POS.
    edited September 2016 brucemccaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
    "Conflict of interest" because The Verge is paid by iPhone knockoffs to bash Apple.
    Are you joking? The Verge never stops praising Apple. 
    Wow. You might be the first evidence of a person from another universe. 
    calikuduanantksundaramlostkiwipscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 43
    entropys said:
    You do understand, qwwera, that you just described modern 'journalism' in all its forms? 

The fourth estate have come to believe they are players, rather than observers. They form a club, divergent opinion is cast out, and anything that does not align with the club's rules and views is either pilloried, or more effectively, turfed in the forgettery and not reported.
    True, real journalism died back when "news" became a billion dollar business, ironically I just finished watching Citezen Kane :)
    tallest skilSolilostkiwi
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
     care to back that up with links? because i can post nearly any of Patel's irrational jibber. 
    Actually Vlad Savov has given Apple plenty praise. Walt Mossberg is also a regular contributor. 
    As far as tech publications go, the Verge is one of the better ones. 
    Now you want to see trash, head over to CNet, ZDNet and the like. 
    ronn
  • Reply 31 of 43
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
    A live bizzaro at last!
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Double dipping. If no wrong doing was found the man probably needed the extra cash.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    What's with all the journalists going to Apple?

There was Anand from AnandTech... then this guy from the Verge/Vox.

And wasn't there another one?  A former MacWorld writer or something?

What exactly is Apple having these people do?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 34 of 43

Brian Klug from Anandtech also left for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    mazda 3s said:

Brian Klug from Anandtech also left for Apple.
    Ah... I knew there was someone else.  Thanks!

So yeah... what are all these tech writers doing at Apple?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    thedba said:
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
     care to back that up with links? because i can post nearly any of Patel's irrational jibber. 
    Actually Vlad Savov has given Apple plenty praise. Walt Mossberg is also a regular contributor. 
    Walt is a concern troll in my book. ever since Jobs died he's been dooming it up; probably because he no longer has the CEO's ear the way he did with Jobs. 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    thedba said:
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
    Forbes seems really invested in negative articles for the iPhone 7. One right after another. And some really inane. Seems to me like stock manipulation more than anything else. 
    Apple has put itself in the crosshairs of stock manipulation in a way we don't see for Exxon, Microsoft, or Amazon. I guess because it's like a celebrity itself in a way that Exxon isn't. Put Apple in a headline and it will get far more clicks than and attention than anyone including Kim Karrdashians butt. 
    Celebrity has its price. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43

Or how about his obesity. That always looks hot
    tallest skilpatchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 43
    The Verge is the National Enquirer of the technology world. Trash.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 43
    bdkennedy said:
    The Verge is the National Enquirer of the technology world. Trash.
    When joshua topolsky was at the helm it was cool and had so much promise. Now it's pretty trashy. When Joshua left, Patel took something cool and just screwed it all up.
    patchythepirate