Troubleshooting macOS Sierra: FileMaker, Logitech and Razer devices, 4k display issues

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Sierra has been the most problematic OSX update I have ever had on my 2009 iMac (late year model).   I installed it on Wednesday morning and let it do its thing all day and overnight (these updates have a lot of indexing and now cloud syncing).  Thursday the computer became more and more sluggish (beachball) finally grinding to a near halt. It was uploading gigabytes of data to iCloud.  After calling Apple I was told to run First Aid using Disk Utility.  That took a while but after completing and rebooting, things seemed to improve a bit, but still very sluggish.  Today (Saturday) it is unusable again (still trying to upload 24+ Gb to iCloud).  Another call to Apple Support and apparently as a part of the install it automatically chooses iCloud Optimize Mac Storage, which according to Apple uploads all of my Document and Desktop folder files to iCloud -AND THEN DELETES THEM FROM MY HARD DRIVE.  Since I live where internet access is sometimes limited, this is a mess as I need access these files offline.   So I cancelled this only to see all of my Desktop files disappear (and probably my Documents also).  Note that before upgrading I had 113Gb of disk storage, which is now down to 88 Gb, and to re-download just my Desktop files will take up over 24Gb (and 6 hours of time).  

I have not installed Sierra on any of my other machines and won't until I sort this all out and the point one release comes out.  
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Razer driver has prevented me from getting to the desktop without a crash/reboot.  I tried booting into safe mode with no joy.  Seems any way I do it there's no time to get into the Library and remove the offending file. Any suggestions welcome.  
  • Reply 43 of 51
    wigby said:
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    CS6 does use java 6. I had heard that sierra would no longer support java 6, so I thought that would be the end of updating for me. As soon as the beta was released I installed it only to see what's happening with CS6. I was surprised to discover that the java 6 download from apple, released last year for El Capitan, was installed on sierra with no issues and my CS6 works fine! You should try it. 
    P.S. I left CS5 after Yosemite was out. Removing all effects in order to be able to choose a font in illustrator, was definitely a deal breaker. CS5 was good, but it's long gone...
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Canon EOS camera utilities had to be restarted several times before they would begin to work, and Camera Window for the G16 won't detect the camera now.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Looks like users of older versions of Filemaker are not much better off:

"FileMaker 14 and earlier versions of FileMaker have not been tested or certified with macOS Sierra.  These products were developed and released before macOS Sierra became available.

While these earlier versions may install and run, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution."

:/
  • Reply 46 of 51
    I've noticed a few things so far:

1) Someone already mentioned that you can't get AFP fileshares to automount on login

2) I have a Logitech m100 USB optical mouse, it's about as basic as you can get, with two buttons and a scrollwheel, scrollwheel is the third button. There is no software to install, no special drivers, been using it since 10.6 and it's always worked fine. Upgrade to Sierra and now there is a scrollwheel speed threshold. If you scroll the wheel slower than the threshold, it doesn't register that the scrollwheel is moving. You can slow scroll all day, nothing will happen. I tried my Apple wireless mouse and it worked fine, registered my scroll-wheeling at all speeds, from glacial to zippity-zip.

3) finder is displaying generic file icons for my .m4v files in column view, cover flow, and list views. Seems OK in icon view.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    I'm surprised by FileMaker not being fully compatible. They are owned by Apple, after all.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    wigby said:
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    First of all CS 5 is outdated version and in general not supported anymore - it was replaced by CS6 long time ago. All Adobe requires outdated Java 6 with special download from Apple and that has been known since Maveric or even older versions of Mac OS (X). So nothing new here especially that Java is no more installed by default by Apple... not even newest Java 8 (which would not work with Adobe Suite anyway. We have been running Adobe tools for professional design and publishing studio and so these steps have to be taken every time during upgrades. What worries more is that some hardware like Intuos Wacom for design and others might have problems with MacOS Sierra. It is hard to believe that we would have to buy new input device after only 1.5 year of use.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    ymppaymppa Posts: 1member
    Still no update from Razer as promised :(
  • Reply 50 of 51
    JPGriffithJPGriffith Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    After update to Sierra, can no longer use two Acer K272HUL monitors in portrait with Mac mini '14 (thunderbolt to displayport cables).  Can use one in portrait but one must be in landscape to preserve 1440 resolution.  Spent a long time working with Apple Support on various remedies, but no success.  Support has followed up in days since, and it sounds like the fix will be in an update unless a workaround surfaces.