Review: Apple Watch Series 2 is a great improvement, but watchOS 3 steals the show

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    I was waiting for the second version and planning to buy, but when I tried it on yesterday it felt overly bulky to me.  I love tech so lamentably decided to wait until Apple thins it down.  What I am wondering is if they plan on doing so.  Although Apple certainly prioritizes thinner products, with such a small device perhaps Apple Watch will be the exception and they will prioritize battery life and new features instead. If Series 3 adds cell connectivity I may reconsider waiting for a thinner watch as full iPhone independence would be very compelling.  
  • Reply 42 of 49
    JustinTO said:
    I was waiting for the second version and planning to buy, but when I tried it on yesterday it felt overly bulky to me.  I love tech so lamentably decided to wait until Apple thins it down.  What I am wondering is if they plan on doing so.  Although Apple certainly prioritizes thinner products, with such a small device perhaps Apple Watch will be the exception and they will prioritize battery life and new features instead. If Series 3 adds cell connectivity I may reconsider waiting for a thinner watch as full iPhone independence would be very compelling.  
    I kinda felt that way, but bought the original watch anyway. In no time I ceased perceiving it as thick. Suggest you do as I did, get the small sport model. The aluminum brings the weight down and reduces any sense of bulk. Plastic or woven band helps that way too. Don't deprive yourself of all the geeky fun for what I am sure you'll find a non-issue. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 43 of 49
    I hate my Apple Watch. It has so much potential but it just never works reliably. 9 times out of ten I just get my phone out as I watch the little spinner endlessly loop on the watch. No matter if its trying to über, get directions or look at text messages everything is just hit and miss. I had high hopes for Watch OS3 but mehh it made bugger all difference.

You need to put your most used apps in the dock. With WatchOS 3 you can select 10 apps that pretty much load instantly or near it.  I don't really use more than 10 apps I noticed things are working great for me. I can understand having this issue with OS 1 and 2, but still? Pretty much all my Series 1 loading problems have been taken care of with the update. 
    Soliwilliamlondontcuprofwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 49
    I cannot find the swim app on my Series 1 watch running WatchOS3. Did Apple write a program that knows I have a Series 1 watch that is not Swim proof so the swimming part of the app does not show on my Series 1watch?
  • Reply 45 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    RickHolly said:
    I cannot find the swim app on my Series 1 watch running WatchOS3. Did Apple write a program that knows I have a Series 1 watch that is not Swim proof so the swimming part of the app does not show on my Series 1watch?
    They simply don't include the "program" on watchOS for Series 1 build.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    I have the original Apple Watch and I'm on a budget. I don't bike or swim but I do go to the gym. The Series 1 and 2 have similar processors , the only difference is the series 2 has the GPS functionality built in the processor. Is the speed difference in the series 1 worth the upgrade from my original Apple watch ? Also future watchOS upgrades could will limit the life span of the original Apple Watch 
  • Reply 47 of 49
    hollya33 said:
    I have the original Apple Watch and I'm on a budget. I don't bike or swim but I do go to the gym. The Series 1 and 2 have similar processors , the only difference is the series 2 has the GPS functionality built in the processor. Is the speed difference in the series 1 worth the upgrade from my original Apple watch?
    I'm sure you can find one of the many videos comparing performance of watchOS 3 on Series 0 v Series 1, but I'd wager that most people with Watch Series 0 are getting more than expected with their watchOS 3 performance boost. As noted in this thread, use your iPhone to put your top 10 used apps in Dock for near instant access. Unless you really want swimming, GPS, or ceramic, a new watch right now, I'm guessing most people will be happy with their Series 0 model for another year.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    "When paired with a newer iPhone, the Apple Watch will track steps climbed. But on its own, it does not." 

Thank you for this review- I had the first apple watch but the tracking of my steps was so off that I started using a fitbit - I am not sure I understand if that has been improved with the 2 series and also do you have to have your phone on you to get your steps tracked accurately ?  
  • Reply 49 of 49
    "When paired with a newer iPhone, the Apple Watch will track steps climbed. But on its own, it does not." 

Thank you for this review- I had the first apple watch but the tracking of my steps was so off that I started using a fitbit - I am not sure I understand if that has been improved with the 2 series and also do you have to have your phone on you to get your steps tracked accurately ?  
    Their sentence is poorly worded. Series 0 didn't wasn't able to track stairs climbed—it needed an iPhone for that. I can't recall if it can do it now, but I do know that GPS connecting to 4 satellites in Series 2 should technically be able to determine altitude; however, that doesn't mean it will do that, and that's not how the iPhone does it.

Personally, I found the Watch to be the most accurate with steps of any fitness tracker I've owned, save for the caveat of a pocketable tracker whilst pushing a shopping cart at the grocery store.