Raycer Graphics and Nothing Real

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do you think that Apple's purchase of Nothing Real and Raycer Graphics could amount to one kick-ass Compositing/3d modeling system?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    stevessteves Posts: 108member
    True. But, enough time has elapsed since the purchase of Racer that I don't think we'll see anything come of it. It's quite possible, that Apple could have bought the company for the engineering talent on board. There are other possibilites of course, but the problem is that the graphics technology has been moving at such a fast pace, I just don't see Apple moving in this direction.

Steve
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Some of the things I have heard...

Apple wasn't really looking to purchase a compositing application at the time, but Nothing Real was shopping their company around... So Apple snatched it up, and now they are trying to figure out exactly what to do with them...

Seems to me there are really only two choices...

One - Offer Shake in a new Apple wrapper, business as usual...

Two - Scrap Shake as a stand-alone product, integrate it into Final Cut Pro...

I like number two myself...

Now if Apple (or Pixar) would purchase Alias|wavefront, and integrate PRRenderMan as the default renderer...!

cheers!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple's Raycer people is who I imagine is the party responcable for all our Nvidia cards. Unless someone knows of another 3rd party that is definately the manufacturer of them I'd say that is who is creating them. Nvidia does not make any gaphics cards. Only the GPU's. 3rd partys make the cards. Who makes ours, Anyone know? I dont have any info on this, but that's my guess.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>Apple's Raycer people is who I imagine is the party responcable for all our Nvidia cards. Unless someone knows of another 3rd party that is definately the manufacturer of them I'd say that is who is creating them. Nvidia does not make any gaphics cards. Only the GPU's. 3rd partys make the cards. Who makes ours, Anyone know? I dont have any info on this, but that's my guess.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really don't know who makes them, but as someone here pointed out before Microstar lists Mac OS compatibility on some of their GeForce cards on their website. I think it is a typo, but why would they even be thinking about Mac OS unless some of their cards are shipped to Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    In other visual effects news, Discreet/AutoDesk wanted to move the whole development of combustion to Montreal, and the combustion people didn't want to go there, so they quit.

There's definately something big brewing at Apple with regards to film/broadcast visual effects, because when Apple heard about this, they went and hired the entire combustion development team!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Wasn't it Scudling that posted the most information on why Apple bought Raycer.

Didn't he say that most of the engineers ended up working for Nvidia?

I think he said or implied Apple bought Raycer as a more of less preemptive strike to prevent some one else from aquiring them?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Their loss, Montreal is great!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>Their loss, Montreal is great!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed it is, but not everybody is prepared to up stakes and move thousands of miles to another country, leaving behind their homes, families and friends just because the boss thinks it's a good idea.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Intel was looking to pick up Raycer...

From what I heard, Discreet wanted to move part of the Combustion team, and the rest were cut...

Haven't heard anything about Apple hiring the cuts though...

Would be interesting if it were true...!

Now, about Apple & A|w...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Let's face it, this ain't about hardware -- it's expensive and it get's outdated fast. Look at the trouble Apple has with PPC. [I don't think it's that bad really (personally I feel the platform competes well enough) but there is no end to the griping that goes on about it.] They don't want to spend a lot of money developing custom graphics solutions that third party manufacturers will overtake in a matter of months and at a fraction of the cost. Apple has worked hard to move to industry standards so that they can take advantage of savings. -- PCI, AGP, USB, firewire, dimms -- Whether or not they pass those savings on, they certainly won't spend time to deploy a more expensive solution. They bought talent, and maybe some patents. Yet in both cases the real payoff will come in software.

Just look at FCP 3. It shouldn't run as well as it does, but it does things you needed dedicated hardware for only 12 months ago. What if Apple brings a 3-d setup with similar overachieving performance? Maybe not a stand-a-lone app, but some kinda enablers in the OS itself to make 3-D run much faster/smoother? I dunno. I just feel Apple's innovation comes from the software side. The hardware is just sufficient to support it's end of the platform overall, but anything new will be a software innovation/integration.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by gafferino:

<strong>

I really don't know who makes them, but as someone here pointed out before Microstar lists Mac OS compatibility on some of their GeForce cards on their website. I think it is a typo, but why would they even be thinking about Mac OS unless some of their cards are shipped to Apple?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm guessing these cards aren't the one in the towers...they probably don't have ADC, they are just compatable, like a Kensington USB mouse is *compatable* but it's not the one that comes with the computer.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:

<strong>Intel was looking to pick up Raycer...

From what I heard, Discreet wanted to move part of the Combustion team, and the rest were cut...

Haven't heard anything about Apple hiring the cuts though...

Would be interesting if it were true...!

Now, about Apple & A|w...</strong><hr></blockquote>

My friend was on the beta program for combustion2 and he's still in contact with the ex-combustion team. It would appear to be true.

I'm with you on Alias Wavefront. I'm betting that Apple's making moves to buy that as we speak.

Just imagine if they owned Shake, Maya and Final Cut. And just imagine what they could do with that combination and how great it would run on (future) Apple Hardware (just to keep this back on topic).
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I dunno about Apple releasing new types of software. I think the company will stay with the iApps and the Pro production software for a while. The thing is, Apple shouldn't step on its big SW companies' toes - Maya is kickass and should not be trifled with.

As for using the engineering talent, I'm all for it. I hope Apple doesn't pull out any moere pink slips anytime soon/
  • Reply 14 of 28
    They stepped on Premier pretty good. I don't think it would be wise to move into too many directions with software. Apple does Video production and authoring 'better than/as well as' anyone right now. That's good enough for now. They're surely moving into photoshop 'extra-light' territory at the moment. Eventually they could have a very decent photo package on their hands, certainly iPhoto could grow to Photoshop Elements proportions in the comming years. I think they need to be able to deploy ceratin apps just to keep th big players on their toes. FCP proves they can move into a software segment and create a market leader in pretty short order, maybe they have to buy up some technology on the way, but they buy up the right combinations and put together the right packages.

Some apps, like DVD Studio Pro (and even iDVD) and Quicktime, add value to a host of other 3rd party apps. Using Premiere, or After Effects? Make video. Now you want to make a DVD? Apple's got you covered. Or publish to the web? Again Apple's got the tool for you, even for your 3-d animated short. I can't really think of possible innovations right now, but there is no reason Apple can't can't continue to make everyone's apps more useful. Tools to facilitate 3-D users under MAYA? Who knows? But I think that they've demonstrated an ability to turn messy areas of content creation into great supporting role type software, and if nothing else Apple's braintrust ought to keep looking for ways to help out in new areas of content creation as they arise.

Still there is room for some competitionwitht the major apps. You just need to have a talent for cutting the fat. Photoshop, and Maya are huge programs. If Apple identifies an area of common use between the two programs, why not have an app that talks to both, but does this hybrid job better than either of the two, and offer that for sale. I dunno what it'd be, but there must be alll sorts of things that people write custom 3D for right now that would be nicely served by an intelligent/flexible grouping of templates and tools.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>They stepped on Premier pretty good. I don't think it would be wise to move into too many directions with software. Apple does Video production and authoring 'better than/as well as' anyone right now. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I pretty much agree ... I wonder what would happen if Apple wrote a basic yet powerful "MIDI sequencer/audio sampler recorder" to hi-lite the power of the up and coming audio engine in X?

Don't get me wrong Gerhard Lengeling is God - and to compete directly with him Apple may as well try to re-write shuttle launch code ... but I'm sure Apple could probably whip up something in Cocoa and ship it with the machine to tempt users ever more into the "Apple Experience".
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Regardless of what exactly all these purchases mean individually, I think one thing is clear: Apple is building infrastructure. They're buying hardware and software talent and intellectual property. Their eyes aren't just on the next iApp or Pro app, but building the next creative environment like they did for DP before. They laid the base with the OS, OpeGL, a PDF-based 2D layer, and QuickTime. They supplied the processing power specifically for these tasks, AltiVec. Now they're fleshing out the software to make desktop video editing easy, fast, and inexpensive. I think its nearly impossible to analyze these purchases on an individual basis, they're part of a much larger corporate strategy.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Sorry about the dumb question, but who is Gerhard Lengeling?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I think it is completely okay for Apple to introduce products like FCP which compete with 3rd party products -- as long as they aren't free. The Mac needs leading edge products and if some 3rd party is too busy sitting on their a$$es to deliver a decent product and differentiate it from the PC version, then Apple should deliver the product itself if it feels the market is important enough for its strategic position.

The "i" apps are treading a thin line where they deliver basic functionality to the consumer, without the consumer having to shell out even more dough. Apple needs to be careful not to step on any of the 3rd software out there that provides higher end features. They did that with the original MacWrite and MacPaint, which caused a terrible lack of word processing and image editting 3rd party apps in the early days -- especially considering that the bundled apps were not enhanced for a long time. I agree that the Mac should be useful straight out-of-the-box, but it is also necessary to ensure that the market for 3rd party apps is a healthy one. Tricky balance.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    They need to keep developers honest too. I agree that they can't give away too much for free. Apps that define niches, or make other apps all the more useful are a good place for Apple to be. I always thought Apple should develop a few killer photoshop plug-ins. That way photoshop users on the mac get functionality that photoshop users on other platforms just don't get. Plus, nobody would likely tweak a plugin to take advantage of a mac the way that Apple itself would. If you could get some high quality, fast pluggins for the mac that you just can't get on a PC that might be all the more reason to stay on the mac, or switch too it for that specific line of work.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    That's a stunningly good idea Matsu....