Piper Jaffray downplays reports of bad iPhone 7 sales, sees similarities to iPhone 6 launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Another analyst firm has chimed in on negative reports of Apple iPhone 7 first week sales, and instead views trends as similar to the record-breaking iPhone 6 launch of 2014.

Piper Jaffray

Investment research firm Piper Jaffray provided a research note to AppleInsider, showing that the firm performed stock checks of 134 Apple retail stores 9 days after the iPhone 7 launch. The survey showed that 20% of iPhone 7 SKUs were in stock overall, with 34% of the iPhone 7, and 6% of the iPhone 7 Plus models available for purchase.

During the iPhone 6 launch, the research firm claims that two weeks after launch, the sought-after iPhone 6 showed 33% availability, with the iPhone 6S hitting 50%.

Regarding negative interpretations of Apple sales data by third parties, such as information put forth by KGI Securities on Sunday, Piper Jaffray believes that the data is impacted by "essentially zero" iPhone 7 Plus models available for weekend sale, with no similar constraints for the launch of the iPhone 6S.

Piper Jaffray

Noting that other analysts, and third-party data aggregator's reports weren't in line with "positive commentary and Apple's own commentary about stock outs", Piper Jaffray is sticking with previous estimates of an iPhone 7 sales cycle similar to that of the iPhone 6, and not the iPhone 6S.

Lending weight to Piper Jaffray's interpretation of sales data, T-Mobile's CEO and am assortment of South Korean analysts claim record sales of the Apple iPhone 7 family. Based on supply chain data, analysts expect 100 million sales of the new iPhone models before the end of the 2016 calendar year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Still not sure why Apple is struggling to supply 7+s... Strategic move or supply issue?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Hey Gene the stock is actually up this morning so no need to panic.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Lets play guess iPhone 7 sales since Apple isn't going to release any sales numbers! Any other resident expert care to join in? 

I think its pretty safe to say its selling really well. It doesn't always need to outsell the previous model. To me, that does't dictate how successful a phone is. There are many factors that go into someone decision to buy a new phone. Its not always because I can. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Apple has never broken out model specifics, and likely never will, so it will remain speculation.  Many people (the vast majority perhaps) don't even consider many of the individual features of a specific model.  Storage, camera, colours perhaps.  Those with an iPhone are overwhelmingly likely to upgrade to an iPhone.  They upgrade to either the latest one for the "best features", or to the previous model for a better deal, or now the SE.  The iPhone 6s, now with 32GB as the base storage, is looking like a pretty good option for a lot of people.  Apple is very happy if you upgrade to that model as well.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Yes, I agree with the analyst. We had only 3 of the different configurations for launch day (independent Apple reseller) and only one configuration of 7 plus.

Lots of people looking…
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Just went to my local Apple store again today.  No 256GB 7+ Jet Blacks in stock.  I preordered the opening day and I'm waiting until November to receive mine.  I guess it's awesome that they are in such demand that there's an insanely long wait.  Every other iPhone I've purchased the day of release at the Apple Store.  I guess this is the new world we live in.  Makes me want to invest in Apple though.  Seems like everyone wants their products.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    Oh man I'm so glad to read this. With all the spin and manipulation by media with agendas I was starting to worry that I was getting paranoid. Friggin corrupt media.
    sog35 said:
    I really thinking of buying another 200 shares of Apple stock.

But with all the BS being throwing around I'm not sure if its a good time to buy right now. I can see the manipulators pushing this down to $106 in the next few weeks.