Drake debuts new short film as Apple Music exclusive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2016
Mainstream rapper Drake on Monday released a 23-minute film -- Please Forgive Me -- as an Apple Music exclusive, further cementing his close business ties with Apple.

The movie was shot in Johannesburg, South Africa's Soweto township, and features several tracks from the album Views, including "One Dance," "Controlla," and the title song. The plot involves a rich man offering Drake and his girlfriend -- played by a Belgian model, Fanny Neguesha -- $1 million in an Indecent Proposal-style scenario. The pair decide to escape with the money instead.

The film is free to watch with or without an Apple Music susbscription. Notably, it was originally supposed to debut Sept. 30, but was released today for reasons unknown.

The explosive visual companion to #VIEWS. @drake's Please Forgive Me.
Only on #AppleMusic:https://t.co/86DnYZFruv pic.twitter.com/ANlLgr2imC

-- Apple Music (@AppleMusic)

Although his music is available on other services like Spotify, Drake has become increasingly tied to Apple Music. He appeared on stage during the announcement of the service, and Views was a one-week Apple exclusive. Drake's record label, OVO Sound, has a show on Beats 1 radio. Recently Apple signed a deal to offer exclusives from Cash Money Records, which counts Drake among its stable of artists. Apple funded the video for "Hotline Bling," using that leverage to make it a brief Apple Music exclusive.

The company has often wielded exclusives as one of its primary weapons in on-demand music streaming. It's already up to 17 million subscribers -- though it's still well behind Spotify, which has 40 million paid customers plus many more using its free ad-based tier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
     ...  and I should care because ...?  The word rapper still invokes an involuntary action to switch off for me.  I admit it just maybe because I am a musician and not tone deaf.
    edited September 2016 dachar
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I guess I don't get this younger generation. This guy is a prefab rapper if ever I saw one... and my generation had Vanilla Ice!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
     ...  and I should care because ...?  The word rapper still invokes an involuntary action to switch off for me.  I admit it just maybe because I am a musician and not tone deaf.
    Even if you don't like Drake, there's plenty of talented rappers out there. I suggest listening to The Roots, Jurassic 5, or A Tribe Called Quest.

In any case, Drake is incredibly popular - whether any of us like him or not - and important to Apple financially.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Even if you don't like Drake, there's plenty of talented rappers out there. I suggest listening to The Roots, Jurassic 5, or A Tribe Called Quest.

In any case, Drake is incredibly popular - whether any of us like him or not - and important to Apple financially.
    Ok on the last point if true that's fine then, I still have Hey Siri MUTE!  ;)