New Galaxy Note 7 fire raises worries Samsung didn't fix battery problems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

they should put all samsung phones in a refridge on the plane
    Nah, they should put them with the pocket knives, handguns and bombs

edited September 2016 magman1979lolliverkevin keewatto_cobra[Deleted User]badmonkpalomine
  • Reply 22 of 60
    sog35 said:
    what a fiasco.

Samsung is truly SAMDUNG.

And Wall Street and Tech media boogers eaters thought Samsung would overtake Apple? LOL

And even the new Note7 that don't have the explosive feature are having horrible battery life, overheating, and laggy performance. Seems like the safety precautions installed in the new Note7 is making it a crappy performer. 

This is true karma for all those years that Samsung shamelessly copied Apple, cheated on test results, bribing officials, allowing employees to die from hazardous material, ect, ect, ect, ect.
    They didn't just think Samsung would overtake Apple. They hoped and prayed Samsung would beat the crap out of Apple. I guess they're going to have to wait a little longer before they see Apple run over. It's so weird how people hope some business fails or gets destroyed. Well, I suppose if they've put all their money on the other company winning they can only hope for the worst happening to Apple. There are going to be a lot of disappointed investors on Wall Street if Apple continues to stay at the top of the heap. Maybe someone has learned a valuable lesson about the rush for innovation not outweighing the need for quality control. If this battery problem had been on Apple's iPhone every media outlet would be happily declaring the death of Apple. Nothing can stimulate their juices more than some Apple product failure.
    perkedelwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 23 of 60
    volcan said:
    magman1979 said:

How long until there is a sweeping ban on ALL Samsung devices on ALL flights around the world?
    As a frequent flyer this worries me a lot, but how do the airlines enforce a ban? No one is going to convince a Samsung owner to voluntarily comply. That is just not their mindset, damn the other 200 passengers on the plane.
    If there is a ban, it most likely won't be against any single brand. It's more probable that it will be against all brands, and rightfully so. When safety is at risk, compromise cannot, and should not, be made.

Enforcement is carried out at security checkpoints. TSA, or the agency for whatever country you're in, will be the ones enforcing such a ban, and it is those agencies that would be implementing such a ban, not an individual airline.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 24 of 60
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    I was in a Best Buy a few days ago and made my typical joke to the cell phone 'kid' on duty - "Hi, do you have any Samsung Galaxy Notes in stock? I hear they are a 'hot' item!!" Got the customary fake laugh, then the kid actually said to me, "Even with the battery problem it is still a better phone than the iPhone."

Really? Wow, they used to say how badly Apple users were 'brainwashed'...

magman1979anton zuykovronnlolliverperkedelpscooter63watto_cobra[Deleted User]chianetmage
  • Reply 25 of 60
    duervo said:

If there is a ban, it most likely won't be against any single brand. It's more probable that it will be against all brands, and rightfully so. When safety is at risk, compromise cannot, and should not, be made.

Enforcement is carried out at security checkpoints. TSA, or the agency for whatever country you're in, will be the ones enforcing such a ban, and it is those agencies that would be implementing such a ban, not an individual airline.
    Banning all cellphones at the TSA check in is going meet with incredible resistance from the general public. It is more complicated than banning handguns for example. Those can be confiscated. You can't legitimately confiscate someone's cellphone. That is their business and personal life line. Forcing people to check their phones in their luggage is a horrible idea and even riskier than having them on their person or carry on. Besides with the expense of checked luggage most people don't check anything. Mostly it is all carry on these days.
    edited September 2016 netmage
  • Reply 26 of 60
    sog35 said:
    Why isnt the Verge, Wall Street Journal, Business Insider, Forbes, CNET, ect picking up this story?

So friken obvious these a-holes are trying their best to keep this quiet.

Crazy that Samsung just excused the past half dozen Note7 fires in China as having nothing to do with the Note7. Right......
    If you've been following the Verge lately, they have become very anti-Apple(and pro-samsung) lately.  Especially that Vlad guy.  He's basically a shill for Samsung.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 27 of 60

gmgravytrain said:
    Well, I suppose if they've put all their money on the other company winning they can only hope for the worst happening to Apple. There are going to be a lot of disappointed investors on Wall Street if Apple continues to stay at the top of the heap. 
    Wall Street investors don't trade Samsung Electronics. It is a GDR and US residents are not allowed to trade GDR. You can try to invest directly in the Korean stock market but it is extremely difficult to buy or sell unless you have a brokerage account in either London or Korea.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 28 of 60
    volcan said:
    magman1979 said:

How long until there is a sweeping ban on ALL Samsung devices on ALL flights around the world?
    As a frequent flyer this worries me a lot, but how do the airlines enforce a ban? No one is going to convince a Samsung owner to voluntarily comply. That is just not their mindset, damn the other 200 passengers on the plane.
    I flew recently from Amsterdam to Zurich. In the plane they asked people to completely switch off their Samsung phones. 
    anton zuykovlolliverwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 29 of 60
    ronmg said:
    I was in a Best Buy a few days ago and made my typical joke to the cell phone 'kid' on duty - "Hi, do you have any Samsung Galaxy Notes in stock? I hear they are a 'hot' item!!" Got the customary fake laugh, then the kid actually said to me, "Even with the battery problem it is still a better phone than the iPhone."

Good thing that wasn't me... If I had received that response from that dumbass, I'd have whipped out my iPhone and showed him all the articles that show just how shitty Samsung phones are, and I mean ALL of them.
    ronnlolliverwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 30 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ronmg said:

Either that or he was messing with you the same way you messed with him.
    singularity[Deleted User]
  • Reply 31 of 60
    It seems like some fuckery is afoot...
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Galaxy is going down a blackened holes
    watto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 33 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    This issue may indeed wind up costing Samsung its reputation
    Then you haven't seen YT comments with 100+ thumb ups, saying they he/she will get that note 7 anyway and he/she doesn't care about bad engineering.
    I have seen that. One got attacked in the comments just because he was saying Apple engineering QA would not allow such defect. People were saying that no matter how good Apple was, it will be always second class compare to Samsung, no matter how bad the later was. And they still call us sheep?
    magman1979perkedelwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 34 of 60
    ronmg said:

Exactly!

I don't think this has anything to do with the product itself, and it has everything to do with the brand name. People becomes blind and lost their common sense when it comes to brand they love or in this case, they hate (Apple).
    watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 35 of 60

Just playing devils advocate here but what's the owner trying to hide?

"A Samsung representative allegedly visited the man in person and asked to take the phone, but Hui refused, as he didn't trust Samsung to expose the reason for the fire."

Here in Australia, Samsung is also famous for exploding washing machines:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-10/samsung-washing-machine-catches-fire-in-sydney-unit/6533960

magman1979badmonk
  • Reply 36 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 said:
    duervo said:
    volcan said:
    magman1979 said:

Only Samsung phones have explosive problems. 

No reason to ban any other brand except Samsung.

And yes they can ban a specific brand.
    How would you tell the difference? ;)
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]palomine
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Sometimes, it's not how good/great/awesome Apple is but how ignoble and sordid their competition has become.
    watto_cobrabadmonkchia
  • Reply 38 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    Why isnt the Verge, Wall Street Journal, Business Insider, Forbes, CNET, ect picking up this story?

So friken obvious these a-holes are trying their best to keep this quiet.

Crazy that Samsung just excused the past half dozen Note7 fires in China as having nothing to do with the Note7. Right......

Because its not Apple. If there were happening to any model of the iPhone it would be everywhere all day long for weeks on end. But, because its Samsung its not a story because Samsung isn't as big as Apple. Its like every media outlet wants Apple to fail because thats a story they can string on for weeks and get attention. Apple will always get more attention (positive or negative) than Samsung ever will. 
    Just like last year everyone in NBA wanted the Warriors to lose.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    ronmg said:

Consider the source. When the iMac first came out and was at Best Buy, most salespeople that worked there claimed that would be the death of Apple. 

Punks will be punks. 
    magman1979watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 40 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    magman1979 said:

Who cares about what Samsung mindset is. Their product is absolutely a fire hazard. This is like saying it isn't the mindset of someone with dynamite to not bring it on a plane. Too bad. Samsung owners should have ZERO CHOICE. Their phones should be powered down and left with thier check in baggage. If not, then get another phone. 

I don't a plane going down in flames because a Samsung owner felt not using his phone on a plane is not his 'mindset'
    oh no, Samsung phones should never be allowed in check-in. What if someone forgets to turn it off and the crap explodes in mid air? FAA recommended to carry it on board but power it off.
    watto_cobra