Apple's iPhone 7 camera tops competition despite smaller sensor in DxOMark review

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    sog35 said:

Apple's iPhone 7 camera tops competition

But 6 phones got a higher score...headline doesn't seem to match story. image
    Those phones ranked above the iPhone7 are MUCH larger phones. Of course they will have higher scores because of having more room for a bigger lense. Just wait till the review of the 7+ come out.
    Regardless, headline seems inaccurate. That's all I was pointing out.
    Soliboredumbtmay
  • Reply 22 of 47
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    mclarenf1 said:
    I'm tired of the 'drink the Kool Aid' form of reporting on this site.  Apple DID NOT 'top the competition' with the new iPhone 7 Camera.  They came is 7th place.  Why won't you report news instead of spinning it?
    iPhone tops all smartphones under 5 inches.

Of course larger phones will have better scores because of having larger lense and more room for larger hardware.

Thinner design does not justify mediocre camera.

iPhone 6s camera without OIS is better than 7 in terms of tonal range. Both phones have the same form factor.
    Come on dude. The 7 is much smaller and thinner than those other phones.

if you don't understand that it isn't much easier to put a great camera in a bigger phone, then I can't help you.

Bottom line is the iPhone 7 is the best camera for any phone under 5 inches
    The headline says tops competition...not tops any phone under 5". Who's making a flagship device under 5" that the 7 could be compared to?
    boredumbtmay
  • Reply 23 of 47
    I like Apple products too but come on. If you go to the DxO site you can clearly see it is not the top score. If there was a particular score you're referring to that was tops, then mention it, don't just boast some click bait title. I swear no one reports factual information anymore. Its all sensational journalistic B.S.
    Soli
  • Reply 24 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    The headline says tops competition...not tops any phone under 5". Who's making a flagship device under 5" that the 7 could be compared to?
    1) How fucking bizarre is that  argument? To claim that there's some demarcation point right at 5"... for a smartphone display… on the diagonal… when it comes to the camera… that means a smartphone with a 4.9" display does not compete with a smartphone with a 5.0" display. You'd think that internal volume would be a more important factor along with the depth of the depth due to the state of the art in the camera components. 

2) Does he not know that they all buy camera components from other companies, that other companies prioritize cameras more than Apple to the point that they arguably "unbalance" their device, and that the iPhone is the most popular camera in the world because the synergy of the whole system is the best, not because AI made an erroneous title claiming something false?
    edited September 2016 boredumbmagman1979
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    how do you not understand that its much harder to make a great camera in a smaller phone?

iPhone7 is the top rated phone under 5 inches.

So the title is correct.
    1) "iPhone7 is the top rated phone under 5 inches." is your qualified title, not AI's. Unless AI qualifies their title it's as accurate as "Dewey beats Truman."

2) I'm not sure how I let you jack this thread. There is no rule where the display size directly affects the camera components you use. Apple could make the camera components much larger if they wanted. There are innumerable phones with much larger cameras and much smaller displays that have been around for well over a decade. I seem to recall some Nokia and Sony phones that looked more camera than phone.

Here's a Samsung device you can currently buy that has a sub-5" display and considerably larger camera components… which you claim is impossible due to some erroneous tie-in to the display size. Now, you can claim that's ridiculous in a smartphone for the masses (I'll add the qualifier that you would have failed to include), that it's a much thicker phone, that it's at the expense of many other components (e.g.: battery capacity), and that it doesn't necessary take better phones just because their lenses and sensors are better. Those would all be great points regarding this product except they are meaningless to your original device that the title is accurate as stated—which it's not.

3) You sound like the crazy Trump supporters claiming that the debate was rigged against Trump so didn't have a change or winning while also saying that he handedly beat Clinton. You're claiming the website's testing methodology is completely flawed while also claiming their testing results show the iPhone won, after you afix your own qualifiers to it. Why does it bother you that other smartphones have good cameras, too? How does that negatively affect your iPhone's camera usage?
    I'm not sure why this still alludes people, unlike its competition Apple considers every aspect of its product it regards the specs from a point of view of whether or not the amount of pixels or the size of the sensor will be meaning fully reproduced by the display as to diliver the benefist of those specs, so it's pointless to install a camera that takes pictures the display can't "meaningfully" display, it would be a waist, like everything els Apple builds the aim is as it has always been to make products that, overall, perform sufficiently well, in all essential categories, with no one feature out performing any other. The iPhone doesn't just take pictures it's not a camera, it's a smart device that happens to have a camera system that just 5 years ago was unthinkable in a device of its form factor. Like always Apple focuses on the entire experience which is much harder to do that to just build the best camera possible, consider this how close is the iPhone to DSLR quality ? And how close is DSLR to A10 fission and retna HD and all the other things the iPhone is king at ?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jannl said:
    That's how Apple tops the competition.
    There are currently 6 phones with a better DxO score than the iPhone 7.  I'm not sure topping the competition is a fair remark.  Let's wait and see when further updates come and improve the camera further.  I'm especially waiting on improvements on the bokeh as it's severely lacking at the moment.  IMO software bokeh is the wrong way to go.  Up to 3 or 4 years ago camera phones did better bokeh than what we get now with iPhone 7.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Name one phone that can do a better job than the iPhone 7 Plus with the bokeh effect? There are none. It's impossible for a smartphone to create the bokeh effect without the use of software. If you didn't use software, you would need a wide aperture lens. That would take up more than half that back of a phone. The way Apple is creating the bokeh effect is more advanced than any other phone out there. It will only get better as Apple improves the technology. 
    brucemctmaymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    sog35 said:
    Bottom line is the iPhone 7 has the best camera in its class
    A class you arbitrarily created so that anything that bests on DxO is stated as not being a choice a smartphone owners would want because of size. You're better off claiming that iPhone users don't want an Android-based device, not that the iPhones users who have a 4.7" device would never consider buying a 3.5", 4", or 5.5" iPhone.
    xTradaTrade
  • Reply 28 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,416member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:

sog35 said:
    Those phones ranked above the iPhone7 are MUCH larger phones. Of course they will have higher scores because of having more room for a bigger lense. Just wait till the review of the 7+ come out.
    Their camera components are larger, but that's a moot point since Rogifan's comment is regarding's AI's falsified title.
    Rogifan is wrong.

iPhone 7 does top all competition in the sub 5 inch phone catergory
    Again, AI's title in no way specifies that that they are referring to a "5 inch" phone, or the more accurate "below 5 inch" range. If AI wants to retroactively latch onto your poor defense which includes an invisible title and claims that DxO gets paid to shit on Apple despite your lack of evidence, they need to change their title and article substantially. 

Personally, I had never heard of DxO and I find the both the differences in scores and quality to be marginal. My concern is the camera working well and being easily accessible on the few occasions I have to use it. Having read the original article I see pictures of what looks like an excellent and fair lab for testing, and nothing in the writing that reads as bias against Apple. The only bias I found is seeing this article today on AI, and then your posts defending AI's inaccurate title.

PS: They are all (or mostly) in the 5" range, which can measured by being 4.51—5.49" or 5.00—5.99".
    how do you not understand that its much harder to make a great camera in a smaller phone?

iPhone7 is the top rated phone under 5 inches.

So the title is correct.
    Go read the article.

The iPhone 7 punches above it weight in a thinner format than the top rated models, but ultimately, you can't beat having a larger sensor area and all of the tradeoffs that brings. I don't expect that the 7 Plus will exceed that mark of 86 points, excepting the value of the "normal" lens and the combination with the primary lens. There have been dual lens smartphones tested before, but this will be the first that composed of differing imager size and focal length. Pretty difficult to develop a metric to assess the value of a feature hitherto unavailable in a smartphone.

Myself and others have already decided that the 7 Plus likely does offer advantages, prior to this dxomark.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 47
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    A class you arbitrarily created so that anything that bests on DxO is stated as not being a choice a smartphone owners would want because of size. You're better off claiming that iPhone users don't want an Android-based device, not that the iPhones users who have a 4.7" device would never consider buying a 3.5", 4", or 5.5" iPhone.
    Its not an arbitrarily created class.

Do you not agree there are regular sized phones and phablet sized phones?

Anything over 5 inches is viewed as a Phablet or 2 handed device.
    1. No, I don't agree that class and competition are interchangeable terms.
    2. No, I don't agree that there is clear demarcation right 5" that keeps a 4.9" smartphone from competing with or being in the same class with a 5.0" smartphone.
    3. No, I don't agree that display size is an indicator that camera components can only be so large (as previously noted).
    4. No, I don't agree without retroactive reimagining of the iPhone 7 and bashing of DxO to justify fandom.
    PS: If you want to make an argument for the iPhone 7 being the best camera for it's weight, internal volume, total volume, sensor size, lens aperture, SW design, usability, etc., there are plenty of viable arguments you can make to compare the iPhone 7 more favorably.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 30 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,357member
    sog35 said:

Based on the DxOMark review that you've already decided is worthless anyway with you going on to say "Most people in the camera world don't respect DxO. They really are a joke in circles who know the industry". ?

Well OK then. 
    edited September 2016 clemynx
  • Reply 31 of 47
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The iPhone camera is among the best and just 2% points of the best smartphone cameras, which means it's almost the same.
    But it still doesn't top the competition.
    The difference in resolution with the Note 7 or S7 is clearly visible with the naked eye. There is nothing wrong in saying that, Apple can't be the best in everything, but they still are among the very best in almost everything. And that's very good. But apparently some have difficulty accepting this benign reality.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    I've risked my well being comparing iphone 7 plus with the explosive galaxy 7 Note, and without a doubt Samsung has a much better camera.  The striking thing was auto-focus, on Samsung its instant on the 7 it felt very slow in comparison.  This is why many of photos you take quickly are blurry on the iPhone, if you take the time it comes out great.  Especially evident when you take pics of kids running, or just objects moving.  Its also better when you are taking video, as you move around the camera it focuses so quickly, so the video is clear. I've actually considered switching to android, and prolly would've if it wasn't for their shoddy quality, specifically explosive batteries.  About 4-5 years ago, I tried switching to an Android device, and I've got a first Nexus phone at the day of the launch, which I've returned 2 weeks later, problems were the phone was rebooting if I was on the phone, and I got a text message, yeah the quality was that bad, and unlike most people on here I actually use my phone to talk.  So when people tell me that the tech in an iphone hardware is superior, they are talking out of their a##, its the software that is superior, everything else the screen, the weight, the battery life, ergonomics, and camera are firmly in the 2nd place!!!

This reviewers video concurs camera quality!

edited September 2016 netrox
  • Reply 32 of 47
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Its not an arbitrarily created class.

Do you not agree there are regular sized phones and phablet sized phones?

Anything over 5 inches is viewed as a Phablet or 2 handed device.
    1. No, I don't agree that class and competition are interchangeable terms.
    2. No, I don't agree that there is clear demarcation right 5" that keeps a 4.9" smartphone from competing with or being in the same class with a 5.0" smartphone.
    3. No, I don't agree that display size is an indicator that camera components can only be so large (as previously noted).
    4. No, I don't agree without retroactive reimagining of the iPhone 7 and bashing of DxO to justify fandom.
    Let me simplify it for you then.

The classification is 1 handed device vs 2 handed device

The iPhone 7 is a one handed device
    Those 5+ inch phones are not. Get it now?

You would have more of an argument if the iPhone 7 was 4.9 inches. But its 4.7 inches, which is significantly smaller than 5+ inches.

Here's a photo of the iPhone 6s vs the S7. The iphone is significantly smaller, narrower, and the corners of the screen are much easier to reach

And remember that the S7 is only 5.1 inches. Those other phones that are 5.5 inches are MUCH LARGER than the 6s. They are not the same class of phone.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.  You compare products in the same class. These larger phones should be compared to the 7+
    I understand your reasoning regarding comparing products in the same class, but that argument might work further against iPhone, because we almost know that iPhone 7+ camera has no superiority to iPhone 7 camera except the zoom lens. And how the zoom lens would make the unzoomed photos better is not clear, there is no such published test as far as I know.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 34 of 47
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    mclarenf1 said:
    I'm tired of the 'drink the Kool Aid' form of reporting on this site.  Apple DID NOT 'top the competition' with the new iPhone 7 Camera.  They came is 7th place.  Why won't you report news instead of spinning it?

Of course larger phones will have better scores because of having larger lense and more room for larger hardware.

iPhone 6s camera without OIS is better than 7 in terms of tonal range. Both phones have the same form factor.

if you don't understand that it isn't much easier to put a great camera in a bigger phone, then I can't help you.

From the comparisons I've seen to date, the best camera for any phone under 5 inch is the iPhone 6s, not 7.

That shoud relieve you a bit.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    mclarenf1 said:

From the comparisons I've seen to date, the best camera for any phone under 5 inch is the iPhone 6s, not 7.

That shoud relieve you a bit.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    clemynx said:
    The iPhone camera is among the best and just 2% points of the best smartphone cameras, which means it's almost the same.
    The difference in resolution with the Note 7 or S7 is clearly visible with the naked eye. There is nothing wrong in saying that, Apple can't be the best in everything, but they still are among the very best in almost everything. And that's very good. But apparently some have difficulty accepting this benign reality.
    So you disagree that the camera system has to Mach the display perfectly such to maximize quality ? Are you saying that the camera system design should disregard the display and be the best it can be regardless of whether that actually translates on the display for the user ? Like giving the iPhone the same system that's on a DSLR jus because it's the best camera because you know that's the sole reason the iPhone exists to take pictures ? Seriously ? The non plus model isn't even true 1080p but it definitely should have a camera sensor that big ? Why ?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    No one talked about class, ever. Don't be ridiculous and quit being so butthurt for such a minor non-issue.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 38 of 47
    In the comparisons I have seen, Apple is generally slightly behind Samsung in some shots but particularly better in fine detail and low light. I think with their increased focus on the camera technologies in their phones, Apple will surpass Samsung again in a year or two. I think this is the only major area that Apple lacks in against the competition. 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-7-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-camera-comparison_id85823

While not a good comparison, the others I have seen generally show the same results.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,357member
    sog35 said:
    clemynx said:
    Note7 and the S7 are NOT the same class as the iPhone7. Those are much larger phones. They are phablets, 2 handed phones.

We shall compare the 7+ to the Note7 and S7.

The iPhone 7 is the best in class and does top the competition for 1 handed phones.

I doubt anyone has trouble using the Galaxy 7 one-handed. It's only slightly larger than the 6s despite the larger screen size. The Note 7 is of course MUCH larger. 
  • Reply 40 of 47
    romanmar said:
    I've risked my well being comparing iphone 7 plus with the explosive galaxy 7 Note, and without a doubt Samsung has a much better camera.  The striking thing was auto-focus, on Samsung its instant on the 7 it felt very slow in comparison.  This is why many of photos you take quickly are blurry on the iPhone, if you take the time it comes out great.  Especially evident when you take pics of kids running, or just objects moving.  Its also better when you are taking video, as you move around the camera it focuses so quickly, so the video is clear. I've actually considered switching to android, and prolly would've if it wasn't for their shoddy quality, specifically explosive batteries.  About 4-5 years ago, I tried switching to an Android device, and I've got a first Nexus phone at the day of the launch, which I've returned 2 weeks later, problems were the phone was rebooting if I was on the phone, and I got a text message, yeah the quality was that bad, and unlike most people on here I actually use my phone to talk.  So when people tell me that the tech in an iphone hardware is superior, they are talking out of their a##, its the software that is superior, everything else the screen, the weight, the battery life, ergonomics, and camera are firmly in the 2nd place!!!

This reviewers video concurs camera quality!

23 posts already nice, to you post, no offense, but you're post is one the most oxymoronic here, in that it tries to belittle the iPhone and show it to be inferior by exposing the facts that makes it the best, the iPhone isnt just a good camera it is good in all the things its designed to do, for everyone els to mach they have to pump up their specs so much that it starts becoming detrimental to all the other things the device is supposed to also do well , case an point, the note's exploding battery, every thing in that entire device is so over blown like each was made by competing groups of engineers all trying to be the best at the cost of the rest, the iPhone is NOT a CAMERA it's much much more the camera is ust a feature like the CPU or display it works in concert to perform multiple tasks exceedingly well
    watto_cobra