Apple to house 1,400 employees at London's restored Battersea Power Station starting in 2021

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46
    I wonder if the site has parking for all those employees or is reliant upon mass transit. 
  • Reply 22 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,001member
    jannl said:
    What a building, beautiful!
    Imagine a design that nice in a new power station today? Never happen.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    It needs more flying pigs.
    welshdogSpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 46
    A well balanced view is expressed in this film:
  • Reply 25 of 46
    It needs more flying pigs.
    Or flying Apple logos.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hmm... I thought multinationals were forecasted to head for the exit from the UK in droves after Brexit?

    There we go again, with the so-called 'experts'....
    Ha! 

    On the other hand, Apple is a supranational, not a multinational. Maybe the first. 

    As Marshall McLuhan might have said, it's a Global Village corporation, and the era of separate industrial nations is receding. Hopefully it would mean the end of industrial warfare as well.
    ai46
  • Reply 27 of 46
    I'm so glad to see all the Floyd references here. In my opinion the Animals album is Pink Floyd at its peak. It's a shame it doesn't get as much recognition as Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    flaneur said:
    the era of separate industrial nations is receding.
    lol  :D :p ;)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,625member
    seneca72 said:
    It is to be hoped the Architects do a better job of the conversion than they did with the Birmingham New Street Apple store.  Since they removed the mezzanine floor and reverted to the original banking hall, the place is one giant echo chamber which probably convenes noise regulations.  
    I think Apple completely ignores noise ramifications in their retail locations.   The hard stone or concrete floors, the stone walls and glass with no absorbent surfaces in many of the stores leads to incredible noise levels.   I went to the Lincoln Center store in NYC around the time that Siri was released and I couldn't get it to demo because there was so much noise in the store.   In addition, I thought there was a live band in the basement and it turned out to be a small speaker system playing recorded music.

    As for this London site, it looks like it will be quite impressive and if Apple is just leasing space at reasonable prices, that's fine.  But if Apple is funding the renovation of the building, that's got to be ludicrously expensive.   The other thing I noticed is that the only existing transit is the equivalent of at least 10 blocks from the front door.   This isn't California.  Typical workers do not drive in London traffic.    With so many workers intended to be working there, would it not have made more sense for Apple to have found facilities more centrally located with multiple transit (both Underground and commuter) lines located nearby?   They couldn't find anything suitable around Oxford St, Tottenham Court Rd, Regent St, Paddington Station, etc?  
  • Reply 30 of 46
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    PigsontheWingGate.
    welshdog
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Maybe Apple will have the smokestacks converted to a massive Beats sound system.
    Biggest subwoofer ports EVER  :D 
  • Reply 32 of 46
    What a "composition bin"? The same typo appeared in the 2015 article about the Roundhouse makeover.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    adm1 said:


    Artist's impression of the building/site once fully completed in circa 2021. Apple will lease 6 floors of the available office space. 
    Very nice although I am conflicted over whether I feel the chimneys should be removed or not.    Perhaps if they can be put to an obviously new use but if just a reminder of the coal age I'm not so sure.  I of course realize they represent an (in)famous visual land mark too, hence my inner conflict.

    Oh and the helipad seems missing.  
    I'm sure they wouldn't be permitted to remove the smokestacks. It's Grade II* listed, which means the exterior cannot be substantially altered, repairs must be made with original materials in the same fashion as the original etc. There are also rules about the interior with grade II* listings, but they've clearly been granted an exemption relating to the fact that its use is being substantially altered.
    chia
  • Reply 34 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,706member
    Soli said:
    adm1 said:


    Artist's impression of the building/site once fully completed in circa 2021. Apple will lease 6 floors of the available office space. 
    It's always interesting that the arjchitect drawings often have rooftop fooliage, yet that never seems to happen when finalized. Is it just garnish to make the building look more inviting, or is it really intended when first drawn?
    I like the rooftop in the background. l looks like a roof top golf course :) 
  • Reply 35 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,706member
    I wonder if the site has parking for all those employees or is reliant upon mass transit. 
    Ever driven in London? 
  • Reply 36 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    the era of separate industrial nations is receding.
    lol  :D :p ;)
    I take your guffaw as evidence that McLuhan was on the right track. And any gratitude for bringing this point of view to your honorable attention will be accepted. No time limit, of course.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    xbitxbit Posts: 357member
    The Roundhouse is a really interesting building too. It was built to turn trains around in the 1840s but became obsolete within 20 years. The march of technology meant that trains were getting bigger and the Roundhouse wasn't large enough to accommodate the new models.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,481member
    Somehow the idea of a cardboard cutout of the Battersea Commercial Centre including UK Apple Offices doesn't have the same romance.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    chiachia Posts: 712member
    adm1 said:
    Very nice although I am conflicted over whether I feel the chimneys should be removed or not.    Perhaps if they can be put to an obviously new use but if just a reminder of the coal age I'm not so sure.  I of course realize they represent an (in)famous visual land mark too, hence my inner conflict.

    The chimneys were added to the initial power station design only after residents of the affluent areas just across the river from the station voiced concerns about smoke affecting their health and buildings.

    the chimneys are iconic and Grade II listed.  The development company had to get special planning permission to replace the chimneys; the replacements have to look identical.

    https://www.batterseapowerstation.co.uk/#!/go/view/app/chimney?view=updates

    For those who are interested, here's my two photos of the site a few days ago, shot from a train window, using an iPhone 6S:



    Soli
  • Reply 40 of 46
    chiachia Posts: 712member
    zoetmb said:

    As for this London site, it looks like it will be quite impressive and if Apple is just leasing space at reasonable prices, that's fine.  But if Apple is funding the renovation of the building, that's got to be ludicrously expensive.   The other thing I noticed is that the only existing transit is the equivalent of at least 10 blocks from the front door.   This isn't California.  Typical workers do not drive in London traffic.    With so many workers intended to be working there, would it not have made more sense for Apple to have found facilities more centrally located with multiple transit (both Underground and commuter) lines located nearby?   They couldn't find anything suitable around Oxford St, Tottenham Court Rd, Regent St, Paddington Station, etc?  
    Battersea Power Station is massive, it's large enough to completely enclose ALL of St Paul's Cathedral in its main central section.
    I was fortunate enough to go inside just before the redevelopment started:


    To give you an idea of size, the grey "box" in the background is actually the back view of a 20 foot shipping container!  This photo was taken under the roof of one of the two side wings to the main section of the power station.

    That shipping container from another angle:


    Being such a huge site the transport links are being improved.   There is the London Underground Northern Line extension being constructed to the site.  Undoubtedly the nearby Battersea Park and Queenstown Road National Rail stations will also be upgraded to better serve the development.

    It is a big multi-agency, multi-billion pound project being done in several phases.
Sign In or Register to comment.