Apple planning to launch new MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar in late October - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
While reports have consistently suggested the new MacBook Pro with Touch ID fingerprint sensor and OLED touch bar will debut this fall, exactly when in the fall has been a lingering question. A new report Wednesday aims to clarify that rather large window, singling out a late October release for the redesigned notebook.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek.

Citing an unnamed source, MacRumors reported on Wednesday that new MacBook Pro models should be ready to ship to consumers "some time in the second half of October." It was said that Apple plans to seed a new beta of macOS 10.12.1 next week, in hopes of finalizing it to ship on new Mac hardware.

The software on the new MacBook Pro will be essential, because Apple is expected to introduce new ways of interacting with the notebook, headlined by an OLED touch-sensitive menu bar that is rumored to replace the current row of physical function keys.

Code in macOS 10.12 Sierra betas released earlier this year has hinted that support for the new feature is already found in the latest Mac operating system. A reference found in code for Apple's Pages word processing software also made mention of a so-called "Function Row," which could be referring to the dynamic display expected to be featured above the keyboard.

Trademark filings made by Apple publicized earlier this month made mention of a never-before-mentioned "Control Strip," potentially revealing the name Apple plans to give the feature.

As for Touch ID, it's been rumored that Apple could integrate it into the power button on new MacBook Pros. Its addition would mark the first time that Touch ID has been featured on an Apple product that is not an iPhone or iPad.

Other expected changes for the next-generation MacBook Pro are a thinner chassis, as well as a switch from full-size USB ports to smaller, reversible USB-C inputs. It's believed the notebooks will come in screen sizes of 13 and 15 inches, just like the current MacBook Pro lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    money set aside... ready to replace my current work computers... ohhh the wait ;)
    caliwatto_cobrapte apple
  • Reply 2 of 79
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    With Apple's quarterly conference call scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 27th, I was already expecting Tuesday, the 25th, to be the date. It's far enough away from the new iPhone, yet still in October; and Monday is always executive meeting day at Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 79
    Another state-of-the-art "flagship" product from Apple! :)
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Please make it available in Jet Black!
    calidws-2sergiozwatto_cobrapte applejustadcomicsxTradaTrade
  • Reply 5 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cpsro said:
    With Apple's quarterly conference call scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 27th, I was already expecting Tuesday, the 25th, to be the date. It's far enough away from the new iPhone, yet still in October; and Monday is always executive meeting day at Apple.
    For the event to announce the product announcement or for the product to finally sell?

Has Apple ever had their earning call the same week as a major product event?
  • Reply 6 of 79
    ...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    edited September 2016 pulseimagestzterricalisennenpscooter63watto_cobralightknightjustadcomics
  • Reply 7 of 79
    ...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    Same here
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 79
    Soli said:
    cpsro said:
    For the event to announce the product announcement or for the product to finally sell?

Has Apple ever had their earning call the same week as a major product event?
    I predict the following:

October 18 - MBP  / Mac event
    October 25 - macOS Sierra 10.12.1 official release
    October 28 - MBP goes on sale.
    pulseimagesSolinewtonrjwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 79
    If they are doing a retina 5k monitor.. it MUST have built-in GPU in the monitor. Their is no way to power a 5k w/o the custom graphics controller chip and the Display Port 2.0, which Thunderbolt 3 does not support.

So only way this happens, is a built in GPU, custom chip, and Apple starts supporting directly, external GPU docks similar to what others like Razer with the Razer Core external GPU box.
    edited September 2016 tmay
  • Reply 10 of 79
    I also have money set aside to max out the next MBP 15". I want more than 16GB of RAM and 2 TB SSD drive please. 
    sergioztallguylightknightstardustag
  • Reply 11 of 79
    tzterri said:
    Same here
    I would've bought a 17" if they were available in 2012..... new.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    You people and your 17" MacBook Pros...give it a rest! My god! 
    Solichiasphericwilliamlondonfastasleeptycho24tallguy
  • Reply 13 of 79
    adrayven said:
    If they are doing a retina 5k monitor.. it MUST have built-in GPU in the monitor. Their is no way to power a 5k w/o the custom graphics controller chip and the Display Port 2.0, which Thunderbolt 3 does not support.

So only way this happens, is a built in GPU, custom chip, and Apple starts supporting directly, external GPU docks similar to what others like Razer with the Razer Core external GPU box.
    If you're right, then I wouldn't be surprised if the new MBP have Intel integrated GPU only.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Jet black with "invisible" touch bar would be beautiful.
    jkichlinedws-2jude2012sphericwatto_cobrapte applejustadcomics
  • Reply 15 of 79
    14" and 16" MBP's will be. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 79
    macxpress said:
    You people and your 17" MacBook Pros...give it a rest! My god! 
    ...I hear for some size matters... :wink: 
    edited September 2016 kuduSolicaliuraharawatto_cobrajustadcomics
  • Reply 17 of 79
    16GB??? I need 32GB, minimum!
    tallguy
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 79
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Idiotic. For months we know October month. I thought this article talks abut exact date in October. Isn't Tim Cook or his office replied last month, "Tim Cook Says Apple is 'Very Committed' to the Mac and to 'Stay Tuned'"

edited September 2016 tallguy
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    At that point why not just unify OS branding and call it appleOS?
    greysave