All 2017 iPhones likely to have glass casing, stainless steel edges may be limited to high...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Murph said:
    Eliminating the "chin" and "forehead" on the plus model would be amazing! Same size screen at a much smaller pocket-friendly design. Edge to edge display will be amazing! A full year to save the $$$ for the 8!
    "chins" are usefull when I hold an iPhone horizontally without getting my hand behind the phone. I simply hold it with two fingers of one hand, as I would a piece of paper or a post card. When you have no "chins" to do that, you will interfere with the touch input of the phone. Current samsung flagship phones suffer from that problem.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    crowley said:
    Please don't take us back to ultra thin fonts. (@renders)
    Why? IMHO current day of week and date font looks terrible...and absolutely tasteless. I was shocked to see that change made by Apple in its iOS 10 version. 

The way it looked in pre iOS 10 versions was definetely more elegant and also provided a separation of string with time from day/date string by having a thinner/smaller font for the latter. Now, it is not the case anymore
    I disagree. Good legibility of the time and date on your phone shouldn't be needed to be enabled via an accessibility settings. An option perhaps for even larger or even thinner, but the default now is just right IMO. I didn't like it at first but I'm accustomed now to like it. I never was accustomed to liking it pre-iOS 10.
    gilly33
  • Reply 23 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Now that the mechanical home button is being phased out, iPhone 8 could be further streamlined by removing the mechanical volume buttons on the side, plus their supporting components, either by incorporating their functions into iOS, by replacing them with a touchscreen+Taptic solution, by assigning those functions to Siri, or some other modern approach. Mechanical buttons are so 20th century.
    Try adjusting volume on a "conventional" 20th century iPhone without even looking at it. Easy.
    Now, imaging doing the same if you don't have physical buttons present, and instead you would rely on a touchscreen input to accomplish the same task. Good luck with that!
    But the same argument can be made for any physical button removed from the iPhone. Try typing without looking on a old Blackberry -- easy. Now try it on a modern iPhone. 

We've already traded away this ability, too late to look back now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57

Now that the mechanical home button is being phased out, iPhone 8 could be further streamlined by removing the mechanical volume buttons on the side, plus their supporting components, either by incorporating their functions into iOS, by replacing them with a touchscreen+Taptic solution, by assigning those functions to Siri, or some other modern approach. Mechanical buttons are so 20th century.
    Not necessarily. Mechanical volume and silent and power buttons make a lot of sense. Just as mechanical buttons on remotes and in cars makes more sense for certain features. Touch screens shouldn't replace every mechanical button when it comes to technology devices. Even electric car windows are control by mechanical switches.

My big concern at this point is how do they do the next evolution of the home button so it's not worse than what we have today. Case in point, above sog suggested the Home button become part of Control Center—which makes sense in theory, but in practice sounds like a terrible user experience for a button you press so often. Get rid of a button only when you can make the experience better.
    edited September 2016 gilly33nolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 25 of 57
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    hmlongco said:
    and transparent to RF.
    I have never seen that property publicly announced. Sure it has been speculated in lots of tech blogs, but is never mentioned in the Liquid Metal specifications. The co-inventor of Liquid Metal speculated that it could be possible in the future, but Apple would need to mix in some other alloys to be able to make Liquid Mental into a functional antenna or used as a case that is RF transparent. Since Apple is so secretive we don't know how far along they are with this, but the current Liquid Metal company does not have the resources to do any research in this area and their main commercial alloy being produced is not suitable for this purpose.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    I believe Apple's aluminum is actually harder (mohs hardness scale) than their stainless steel. This is for their watches - not sure if they're using the same aluminum in their phone backs. Honesty, with Apple's venture into ceramic for the new watch, I wouldn't be surprised to see ceramic backs on an upcoming phone. Ceramic is ultra durable and can be made to a matte or high gloss finish that probably would resist the 'microabrasions' that the current jet black 7 phone has... I would expect ceramic to be radio-transparent as well, eliminating the need for the antenna band.
    I'd rather have scratches and lines than a phone that smashes when you drop it.
    edited September 2016 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 57

hmlongco said:
    There's also Liquid Metal. Harder, more scratch resistant, and transparent to RF.

People keep forgetting Apple's patents and investment in that company and technology...
    Agree. Liquid metal ball was demonstrated to bounce higher than steel. This elasticity that allows springing back from a drop rather than deforming could make it a good candidate for framing. 

Also, the mock ups show the standard ear speaker "trench" in the screen. Highly doubt Apple would leave it that way, blocking part of the screen image. Maybe at the top edge? 
    Top edge is the obvious candidate, just that AI are big into nice art for their stories.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    crowley said:
    An plus sized iPhone with stainless steel all the way round the rim would be pretty heavy, no?
    Not to mention that glass of sufficient strength to be suitable for the case would probably be much heavier than the current aluminum construction.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 57
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Please don't take us back to ultra thin fonts. (@renders)
    Why?
    Because

Where's the any key?
    retrogustoargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 57
    I wait and see closer to announcement date. But I got to say hope they develop glass that is truly shatterproof. I truly hate putting a great looking phone in a damn case. How about working on that. Stainless steel housing sounds good. But like someone else mentioned what about weight concerns. Apple Watch is heavier than its aluminum sibling. 
  • Reply 31 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    blah,blah,blah,blah,blah

Bad user experience!
    irelandanton zuykov
  • Reply 32 of 57
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If this information has any credibility than i suspect someone this Ming Chinese or whoever Asian background guy paying off inside Apple getting early information. Apple needs to hire private investigator to find out where this leaks coming from and nail him down. He is in America so easily put him in prison.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Not really.  Some car manufacturers have tried to eliminate buttons and knobs from HVAC and radio stacks, and almost universally have added them back in.  There are many situations where a physical button or knob that is always at the same location on the device is superior to any kind of touchscreen or software-emulated alternative.  Primarily, any control that is adjusted frequently benefits from this, because the granularity of control will probably be better with a physical button/knob, and I can adjust it without having to look at it.
    nolamacguyirelandmike1
  • Reply 34 of 57
    iPhone will never have glass casing, ceramic maybe, but not glass! Thats like taking a step back!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 57
    sergioz said:
    iPhone will never have glass casing, ceramic maybe, but not glass! Thats like taking a step back!
    Agreed. This is the best explanation I've seen on what the next iPhone may have

https://www.quora.com/What-will-the-iPhone-8-be-made-of
    retrogustofastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Say hello to the iPhone Galaxy 7S Edge.

That's artwork from a year ago disappointed  Is AppleInsider now in the business of showing old art work over again and calling it new?

Get it together peeps.

http://redesigncase.com/apple-iphone-7-concept-edge-to-edge-display/

edited September 2016
  • Reply 37 of 57
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    i for one miss my iPhone 4s and thought it was beautiful.  if next year's iPhone puts the solid state home button under the screen and makes a front back glass chinless model, it will be another iPhone 6 style super cycle and the vast majority of people will go for the 5.5" model, especially if it differentiates itself in terms of RAM, battery life, camera, casing etc
  • Reply 38 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sergioz said:
    Agreed. This is the best explanation I've seen on what the next iPhone may have

https://www.quora.com/What-will-the-iPhone-8-be-made-of
    Nice read, thanks.
    canukstormargonaut
  • Reply 39 of 57
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    sog35 said:
    blah,blah,blah,blah,blah

That is th stupidest thing I have seen the whole month. And that is saying a lot lot lot. 
    Soliireland
  • Reply 40 of 57
    What's old becomes new again. 
    GeorgeBMac