Customer rampages through French Apple Store, smashes iPhones, iMacs, MacBook Air

Posted:
in General Discussion
A disgruntled customer, upset at perceived sleights by Apple support, has used a steel ball to smash assorted products inside the Dijon, France Apple retail store.

Wearing Apple earbuds the whole time, an unnamed customer took steel ball used in French game Petanque (similar to Bocce), and destroyed 12 iPhones, four iMac displays, and a MacBook Air on video -- but the entire rampage was not been caught on video.

The customer is evidently blaming Apple for not taking back a self-proclaimed defective product within a EU-mandated two-year warranty period. The specifics of his case are not clear at this time.

Un mec d?truit un Apple Store avec une boule de p?tanque PARTIE 1 pic.twitter.com/XC9i8C9chH

-- Qυεηтιη  (@Quentin_IOS)

The man was detained by mall security after his nearly 10-minute rampage, before ultimately being arrested by local police.

Petanque balls generally weigh between 2 and 2.5 pounds, and the man in question clearly came prepared for the attack, wearing a protective glove on his hand.

No specific damage has been declared by Apple, but French publication Le Journal estimates "tens of thousands" of euro in damage.

Aftermath of rampage -- photo courtesy LeJournal

Aftermath of rampage -- photo courtesy LeJournal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Total lack of critical thinking: his rampage will be far far more costly for him than buying a replacement for his defective product...
    edited September 2016 fotoformatdoozydozenmacxpressalbegarcSpamSandwichjony0magman1979tycho24lolliverHabi_tweet
  • Reply 2 of 78
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.
    chiadoozydozenewtheckmananantksundarammatrix077jony01983pscooter63lymfthepixeldoc
  • Reply 3 of 78
    that is one heck of a slight. 
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Imagine.... if Comcast had retail stores.......!!!
    freshmakerbadmonkdigital_guydoozydozenmacxpressbuckalecanantksundarammelodyof1974Rayz2016matrix077
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Looks like he just bought 17 more Apple products including 12 iPhones, four iMacs, and a MacBook Air - all non-functional with no warranty at full retail price along with a hefty surcharge for his behavior.
    freshmakerbadmonkdoozydozenmelodyof1974airbubblematrix077bdkennedy1002brakkenmobiusdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 78
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I wonder if Apple will repair the items he broke?
    xixo
  • Reply 7 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.    ;)
    lightknightsphericmike1brakkenstevehlymfthepixeldoctokyojimu
  • Reply 8 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Never mind the lack of rationale at least he was cool, eloquent, and well dressed. The French do vandalism with style!
    dasanman69doozydozenlightknightzroger73melodyof1974matrix077calijony01983lymf
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.   
    La Pomme Ordinateurs, really. Besides, the world uses the russian word for "work" for robots, so why not use the much better French word? (Much better, not because it's French, but because it reflects the intent of the machine better than "computer". An Ordinateur helps order your life. A computer... computes. I guess Macs really are Ordinateurs, while other machines are Computers, with spec sheets and analyst happiness?OK, enough along this line of thought.)

Also, what a weird reaction. He could have sued. Of course, then AppleInsider commenters would likely have blamed him for suing, but there are worse things in life ;)

edited September 2016 calijony0thepixeldoc
  • Reply 10 of 78
    He was actually disgruntled at Macs not being updated for 1000 days  :D
    lightknightdigital_guydoozydozenewtheckmanmatrix077dws-2calijony0melodyof1974thepixeldoc
  • Reply 11 of 78
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Calmest rampage ever. Good thinking using a steel ball instead of a baseball bat... seems much less threatening. I wonder what he'll be charged with?
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Lucky he did not have an exploding Sammy phone or washing machine.
    zroger73calichiatycho24watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 13 of 78
    What's with the Michael Jackson glove? In true French fashion check out the laissez-faire attitude of the employees. One guy just hanging back, and another taking photos  :D
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 78
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I wouldn't have the balls to do that.
    prairiewalkercalichiabrakkenscartartcoolfactorthepixeldoclolliverxixojony0
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 
    edited September 2016 xixo
  • Reply 16 of 78
  • Reply 17 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.   
    La Pomme Ordinateurs, really. Besides, the world uses the russian word for "work" for robots, so why not use the much better French word? (Much better, not because it's French, but because it reflects the intent of the machine better than "computer". An Ordinateur helps order your life. A computer... computes. I guess Macs really are Ordinateurs, while other machines are Computers, with spec sheets and analyst happiness?OK, enough along this line of thought.)

Also, what a weird reaction. He could have sued. Of course, then AppleInsider commenters would likely have blamed him for suing, but there are worse things in life

Well I live and learn, I always thought 'robot'  was the invention of the Czech novelist Karel Čapek. 
    edited September 2016 slprescottSpamSandwichchiastevehlightknightunbeliever2ai46jony0
  • Reply 18 of 78
    You mean to tell me the sunglasses didn't hide his identity to make a getaway?
  • Reply 19 of 78
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    roake said:
    I wouldn't have the balls to do that.
    Maybe you simply have the brains not to!
    chiaSpamSandwichdysamoriapeterhart
  • Reply 20 of 78
    What's with the Michael Jackson glove? In true French fashion check out the laissez-faire attitude of the employees. One guy just hanging back, and another taking photos  :D
    I guess an American cowboy was not there to defend the richest corporation in the world from losing some floor samples. Seriously would you put your face between a steel ball and an iPhone to save Apple $284? 
    dysamoria