Customer rampages through French Apple Store, smashes iPhones, iMacs, MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Shot On iPhone™

PS with the beard and glasses this guy reminds me of Eric Bloom, front man for Blue Oyster Cult - circa 1974 that is.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    takeo said:
    Calmest rampage ever. Good thinking using a steel ball instead of a baseball bat... seems much less threatening. I wonder what he'll be charged with?
    Hard to say, but I'd guess €20k maybe?
  • Reply 43 of 78
    What that country needs is common sense Petanque ball control.
    stompyhammerd2
  • Reply 44 of 78
    john12345 said:
    This is clearly staged. Whoever shooting the video was a friend of his.
    In the age of YouTube and viral media, and the evidence that it was a premeditated action planned in advance, that interpretation has some credibility. It's why some YouTube channels buy new iPhones on Day One and smash them in the name of view counts and link bait.
    Only he knows why, but he also had to know that criminal charges or fines were possible. I'd believe it was staged to get publicity for his 'cause' before I'd think it was self-promotion.

Then again, I shouldn't underestimate what people will do for 'internet fame.'
    edited September 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 45 of 78
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.
    In America he would probably have had a gun rather than a petanque ball and the mall security guards or a shopper would likely have shot him.

Vive la difference.
    ai46thepixeldoc
  • Reply 46 of 78
    What do you expect from the French - they are totally dominated by the throwbacks, from the 16th century, that reside amongst them.
    I didn't realise there were that many Americans living in France?
    sflageldysamoriaronnthepixeldocurahara
  • Reply 47 of 78
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

I have to respond to this, because you failed to provide adequate details to justify your position. Nothing justifies what this guy did. He only sabotaged himself and his future.

Likely your battery is fine, but you're running some apps that are consuming a lot of CPU time. Ever think about that? Have you tried narrowing down which apps you typically run that may cause that?

• My banking apps are bad apples... if I leave them running in the background, the battery drains more quickly.
    • My two 2FA apps (Google Authenticator and Authy) are also guilty of causing the battery to drain more quickly, even when in the background.

What is that they say about the problem being between the keyboard and the screen? That the problem is the operator? Well, with an iPhone, the keyboard and screen may be one and the same, but that doesn't take away the human factor.
    edited September 2016 macxpressmike1
  • Reply 48 of 78
    sflagel said:
    JMW Media said:
    macxpress said:
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.

Apparently, French law permits mall guards (maybe store employees) from touching him. This is why if you look around you'll see other videos and they're not touching him, but rather just blocking him from running away. Only when they are attacked are they physically touching him.

In the US I think he'd at least be hand-cuffed by mall security and detained somewhere until police arrived so he couldn't hurt anyone. Usually at most malls that I've been to in different places, some sort of police was already there for the sake of being there. 

Different countries have different laws for this type of activity. 
    In the UK, the Apple staff would have all been arrested and charged with violating his Human Rights and fined for not providing him with googles, hard hat, steel toecap boots, Hi-Viz vest to carry out his vandalism.

In the UK, they would have offered him a cup of tea while he waits for the police to turn himself in.
    In Germany, the staff would have joined in the civil disobedience.
    In Denmark, arrested and sentenced to three weeks in a youth camp by the Baltic Sea.
    In Italy, the mother would offer to be arrested on his behalf.
    In Spain, nothing would have happened. He would just walk out when he is done.
    in the US, they would have shot him.

All but one seem appropriate responses for the smashing of a few tech gadgets.
    Oh I totally agree! They should have shot him. Then smashed his hands with the metal ball and said, "Now that's enough out of you young man. You're going on a time out right this second!"  Then turn him to face the wall and stare at the iPhone 7 picture till the jet black ships  LOL 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 49 of 78
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

I have to respond to this, because you failed to provide adequate details to justify your position. Nothing justifies what this guy did. He only sabotaged himself and his future.

Likely your battery is fine, but you're running some apps that are consuming a lot of CPU time. Ever think about that? Have you tried narrowing down which apps you typically run that may cause that?

• My banking apps are bad apples... if I leave them running in the background, the battery drains more quickly.
    • My two 2FA apps (Google Authenticator and Authy) are also guilty of causing the battery to drain more quickly, even when in the background.

What is that they say about the problem being between the keyboard and the screen? That the problem is the operator? Well, with an iPhone, the keyboard and screen may be one and the same, but that doesn't take away the human factor.
    Hi there, I monitored use very closely. The biggest drainers of the battery were Mail, Safari and Home&Lock screen(!). I deleted Apps, I reduced screen brightness, I did hard resets, soft resets, resets via iTunes. Everything. The problem would be fixed for a few days, and then the battery would be drained again. I threw in the towel and bought a 6s+, battery is a charm (now the G4 /LTE data does not work well....).

What gets me in rage more is having to make an appointment a week in advance, then being asked to wait "10 minutes" but not being attended for almost two hours!

And no, I did not smash phones, but in an asymmetrical power situation (single guy versus giant corporation), if someone loses control it warrants a grin. Again, nothing really happened, just a bit of sophisticated vandalism.

kudu
  • Reply 50 of 78

Hi there, I monitored use very closely. The biggest drainers of the battery were Mail, Safari and Home&Lock screen(!). I deleted Apps, I reduced screen brightness, I did hard resets, soft resets, resets via iTunes. Everything. The problem would be fixed for a few days, and then the battery would be drained again. I threw in the towel and bought a 6s+, battery is a charm (now the G4 /LTE data does not work well....).

What gets me in rage more is having to make an appointment a week in advance, then being asked to wait "10 minutes" but not being attended for almost two hours!

I agree that such long wait periods are very aggravating. As for your screenshot.... you seem to be running some apps that you could easily quit when you are finished with them. Just what's on your screen has consumed 20% of your battery ... that's 20% that you could've used for something else.

Why the "WiFi Finder"? Is that app constantly scanning for WiFi networks? And "No Mobile Coverage"? Is that app necessary to help you keep a connection?

As much as we'd love our devices to have endless battery life running any apps that we choose, reality is different.

To tie this back to the story ... technology is making a world were we expect "best", "now" and is increasing the sense of entitlement around the world. For this guy, that exceeded his capacity to keep it inside and he needed an outlet. Too bad he chose this method.
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 51 of 78
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    What do you expect from the French - they are totally dominated by the throwbacks, from the 16th century, that reside amongst them.
    Everyone knows what you are referring to. No need to be so pretentious. Quite a stupid remark in my opinion. The perpetrator's identity is unknown according to the reports. Once he is identified and we learn more about his background, then it might not be unfair to suggest opinions about his upbringing.

Apple may even know who he is. Because of his prior interactions, they may have his device records. Perhaps there will be a followup story.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Perhaps the French Ministry of making up French words that are English is really behind this!  The words Apple Computer are everywhere!  This is France after all, it should be Pomme Ordinateur.   
    La Pomme Ordinateurs, really. Besides, the world uses the russian word for "work" for robots, so why not use the much better French word? (Much better, not because it's French, but because it reflects the intent of the machine better than "computer". An Ordinateur helps order your life. A computer... computes. I guess Macs really are Ordinateurs, while other machines are Computers, with spec sheets and analyst happiness?OK, enough along this line of thought.)

Also, what a weird reaction. He could have sued. Of course, then AppleInsider commenters would likely have blamed him for suing, but there are worse things in life

Well I live and learn, I always thought 'robot'  was the invention of the Czech novelist Karel Čapek. 
    Possibly his brother Josef Čapek, rather than Karel himself...

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=robot
  • Reply 53 of 78
    GrifforamaGrifforama Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's hardly a rampage now, is it ?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Looks like Samsung has a new customer heading their way.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Well then, you must not have seen the rrrrrest of the story...  as a slight (albeit very French) tussle did actually ensue  : 

mobiusgowithseabass
  • Reply 56 of 78
    boredumb said:
    I wonder if Apple will repair the items he broke?
    "refurbished"
  • Reply 57 of 78
    The Tall Man called, can he have his 'Sphere' back !!!
  • Reply 58 of 78
    sflagel said:
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:

Its absolutely no excuse to let go on someone else's property just because you didn't get your way. How immature do you have to be to sit there and throw a fit and damage other people's property just because you didn't get your way with something? It fixes nothing and only digs you a hole. Sure, its frustrating but that doesn't mean you start destroying things. If you don't like a product and the company isn't doing what you feel is appropriate then go buy another product. That in the end will hurt them more than any destruction of property, especially if many others follow suit. 
    I think you are taking this event too seriously.....
    Okay so by that thinking its perfectly okay for someone to enter your home and just smash the hell out of everything you own because you upset them and they didn't get their way? Thats basically what you just said. I don't think you get it.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    bobroo said:
    Imagine.... if Comcast had retail stores.......!!!
    It's not so hard to imagine.  Maybe because they do have retail stores.
    darwiniandude
  • Reply 60 of 78
    boredumb said:
    I wonder if Apple will repair the items he broke?
    Nope. Unfortunately they'll all belong to him after a judge makes him pay up... then he heads straight back to that store with his 18 defective Apple products & Mighty Orb of Justice...
    boredumb