Latest 4K drone footage of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 shows landscaping, functional HVAC

Posted:
in General Discussion
The latest drone footage of Apple's new headquarters under construction shows the site more put together than in previous videos, with the entire site appearing to taking shape as a unified whole rather than disparate construction projects for the first time.

Instead of focusing on specific design features of the campus, the new video is more of an overview of the site than an update on specific feature completion.

The main building's solar installation appears to be about 40 percent complete. A satellite research and development facility looks nearly done, with the underground auditorium entrance further along, but still not yet complete.

Landscaping efforts have advanced significantly since the last video, with new trees having been planted in landscaping terraces since the last video. Additionally, preps for heavy work on the building's center core garden and pond are under way.

Apple's central power and HVAC plant is shown functioning, and more fuel cells have been installed along the garage next to the highway.

In 2011, Steve Jobs announced the project to the world, saying over 12,000 employees would work in the 2.8-million-square-foot "Spaceship" structure. Edible landscaping, walking paths, and other "green" improvements are in the process of construction, to minimize the impact the facility makes on the environment.

Apple's related Phase 2 adjacent project adds additional workspace, and includes a renewable energy-powered small data center.

Apple's micro-grid is reportedly capable of handling about 75 percent of Campus 2 power requirements during work hours, supplemented by Bloom Energy-provided fuel cells. Bloom Energy provided similar cells, currently in use at Apple's North Carolina data center.

The main Campus 2 project is expected to be completed by the end of 2016, with satellite facility construction extending into 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Nice video, but looking at the map it appears that Mathew Roberts' drone was flying in restricted airspace (within 5 miles of San José International Airport), although it is possible that he got permission from the control tower and Apple, but I doubt it.

• Reply 2 of 42
    Wow
  • Reply 3 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    volcan said:
    Nice video, but looking at the map it appears that Mathew Roberts' drone was flying in restricted airspace.

I don't give a shit as long as I see the videos. As is there are many cranes there, so there are bigger safety concerns for larger flight vehicles at that height in that area. Break the rules and get the footage. Thy will be done.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Cool.

• Reply 5 of 42
    volcan said:
    Nice video, but looking at the map it appears that Mathew Roberts' drone was flying in restricted airspace (within 5 miles of San José International Airport), although it is possible that he got permission from the control tower and Apple, but I doubt it.

That's not restricted airpsace. 
    anantksundaramcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 42
    The ventilation better have sufficient filtering ... because anyone with seasonal allergies would absolutely hate working in this place. That weird system above the glass wall looks like it just lets fresh air into the building...
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Nice!   Kinda reminds me of the old Kodak Park on the other side of town.    We are talking size here, not the modern buildings themselves.     Hope Apple remains viable for longer than Kodak did.  
  • Reply 8 of 42
    volcan said:

According to the map shown, it is. If you study closely you can see the circular outline of the campus and it is clearly inside the restricted zone. It is not a red zone but within that area you need to get FAA permission to fly there as I said in the earlier post.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 9 of 42
    ireland said:

I don't give a shit as long as I see the videos. 
    So bringing down a commercial jet by someone breaking the law is just fine with you as long as they got some entertaining video for you to watch. Nice to know your priorities. I hope no one in your family happens to be on the jet when it gets hit.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 42
    volcan said:
    volcan said:

According to the map shown, it is. If you study closely you can see the circular outline of the campus and is is clearly inside the restricted zone. It is not a red zone but within that area you need to get FAA permission to fly there as I said in the earlier post.

Like I said that isn't restricted airspace. Apple Campus 2 is outside the 5 mile radius. You only have to get persmission within 5 miles. Look at this map from the FAA. The dark cirlce is the 5 mile radius. I have relatives that live down the street. I've flown my drone in that area many times. I can see on the map when I'm flying where the restricted airspace is. 

edited September 2016 anantksundaramnolamacguycornchipktappeRayz2016
  • Reply 11 of 42
    volcan said:
    ireland said:

So bringing down a commercial jet by someone breaking the law is just fine with you as long as they got some entertaining video for you to watch. Nice to know your priorities. I hope no one in your family happens to be on the jet when it gets hit.
    There is nothing illegal about that drone flight. It's not within the 5 mile radius of the airport (see my post above). That area also isn't even close to the incoming flight path. Jets cirlce around west of the 85 to land. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 42
    volcan said:
    ireland said:

If a commercial jet is flying that low in that area it will hit a crane before it hits the drone. Calm down gosh. It would have to be extremely low for this to happen in which there are more the likely an issue not caused by flying something into it. 
  • Reply 13 of 42
    They better get their asses moving if this is supposed to be done by the end of the year. Yes, its coming together, but there is still a shitload of work to do. I'd say they won't move in until next spring. 
  • Reply 14 of 42
    boltsfan17 said:Like I said that isn't restricted airspace. Apple Campus 2 is outside the 5 mile radius. You only have to get persmission within 5 miles. Look at this map from the FAA. The dark cirlce is the 5 mile radius. I have relatives that live down the street. I've flown my drone in that area many times. I can see on the map when I'm flying where the restricted airspace is. 

According to the legend of the map you supplied orange indicates airports. Go back and click on that orange area and it will give you the contact info for the airport. The brown area is a temporary flight restriction for a football game. The map I supplied is specific to drones and model aircraft and also includes restricted areas outside of the FAA air space restrictions. For example the city of Cupertino has its own restrictions.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 15 of 42
    KDKD Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    After watched this video, remind me of Compaq company in Houston, TX, its also a circle building, many offices, gyms, big parking garages, and it shut down more than 15yrs ago. Now is HP but still a lot empty spaces. Hope it wont happen to Apple. 
  • Reply 16 of 42
    volcan said:
    boltsfan17 said:Like I said that isn't restricted airspace. Apple Campus 2 is outside the 5 mile radius. You only have to get persmission within 5 miles. Look at this map from the FAA. The dark cirlce is the 5 mile radius. I have relatives that live down the street. I've flown my drone in that area many times. I can see on the map when I'm flying where the restricted airspace is. 

According to the legend of the map you supplied orange indicates airports. Go back and click on that orange area and it will give you the contact info for the airport. The brown area is a temporary flight restriction for a football game. The map I supplied is specific to drones and model aircraft and also includes restricted areas outside of the FAA air space restrictions. For example the city of Cupertino has its own restrictions.

Give it a rest...if there were a legal issue with this he and all the others doing this would have been asked not to do it anymore and it would have been stopped months ago. 
  • Reply 17 of 42
    macxpress said:
    Give it a rest...if there were a legal issue with this he and all the others doing this would have been asked not to do it anymore and it would have been stopped months ago. 
    Fine, but there is a reason they do this on Sundays when there is no one there to report it. I've never seen one campus flyover with anyone in sight.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Fine, but there is a reason they do this on Sundays when there is no one there to report it. I've never seen one campus flyover with anyone in sight.
    Apparently, you don't watch these monthly then...I think all of them have people running around, trucks coming and going, etc. If they are in fact doing these on Sunday's as you claim it would more likely be to not disrupt construction vs trying to avoid getting turn into the FCC.  How do you know they're doing these on Sundays? I believe people are working 7-days a week on this project so what difference does that make anyways. 

I think you're making way too many assumptions here with no factual evidence to support it. 

edited September 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 19 of 42
    It's bloody gorgeous. It'll be an architectural wonder when done.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 42
    KD said:
    After watched this video, remind me of Compaq company in Houston, TX, its also a circle building, many offices, gyms, big parking garages, and it shut down more than 15yrs ago. Now is HP but still a lot empty spaces. Hope it wont happen to Apple. 
    Um... what? Why should it "happen to Apple"? What makes you concerned?!