Customer rampages through French Apple Store, smashes iPhones, iMacs, MacBook Air

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Why can't I play the video on Safari? Says "This browser does not support video playback."
  • Reply 62 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ball-gate. NYT will have an expose on Apple's failure to make products that are ball-proof. 
  • Reply 63 of 78
    stompy said:
    john12345 said:
    This is clearly staged. Whoever shooting the video was a friend of his.
    In the age of YouTube and viral media, and the evidence that it was a premeditated action planned in advance, that interpretation has some credibility. It's why some YouTube channels buy new iPhones on Day One and smash them in the name of view counts and link bait.
    Only he knows why, but he also had to know that criminal charges or fines were possible. I'd believe it was staged to get publicity for his 'cause' before I'd think it was self-promotion.

Then again, why should I underestimate what people will do for 'internet fame?'

Criminal charges were "possible"?  I would hope that in any country criminal charges would be nearly certain.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    stompy said:
    john12345 said:
    This is clearly staged. Whoever shooting the video was a friend of his.
    In the age of YouTube and viral media, and the evidence that it was a premeditated action planned in advance, that interpretation has some credibility. It's why some YouTube channels buy new iPhones on Day One and smash them in the name of view counts and link bait.
    Only he knows why, but he also had to know that criminal charges or fines were possible. I'd believe it was staged to get publicity for his 'cause' before I'd think it was self-promotion.

Then again, why should I underestimate what people will do for 'internet fame?'

Criminal charges were "possible"?  I would hope that in any country criminal charges would be nearly certain.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

Its absolutely no excuse to let go on someone else's property just because you didn't get your way. How immature do you have to be to sit there and throw a fit and damage other people's property just because you didn't get your way with something? It fixes nothing and only digs you a hole. Sure, its frustrating but that doesn't mean you start destroying things. If you don't like a product and the company isn't doing what you feel is appropriate then go buy another product. That in the end will hurt them more than any destruction of property, especially if many others follow suit. 
    I think you are taking this event too seriously.....
    Okay so by that thinking its perfectly okay for someone to enter your home and just smash the hell out of everything you own because you upset them and they didn't get their way? Thats basically what you just said. I don't think you get it.
    I don't think anyone has said this is ok. Merely understandable, as it reflects frustrations many of has have felt at bad customer service. The fact that no one got hurt means we can be a little lighthearted about it.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Daaaaaaaaaamn!!!!
    gotta feel sorry for him when he does his time tho'.... we've all heard stories about how they treat "Apple molesters" on the inside. =P
  • Reply 67 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    Sometimes, you just have to let go. No one was harmed. I have felt like doing the same every time I make an appointment at the Genie Bar a week in advance only to be told to wait for 2 hours once I get there. Or when I show them pictures of my 2-year old phone battery being at 11% after 3 hours and they telling me the battery diagnostics test shows it is fine.... It'll cost him but hopefully he can afford it. 

Its absolutely no excuse to let go on someone else's property just because you didn't get your way. How immature do you have to be to sit there and throw a fit and damage other people's property just because you didn't get your way with something? It fixes nothing and only digs you a hole. Sure, its frustrating but that doesn't mean you start destroying things. If you don't like a product and the company isn't doing what you feel is appropriate then go buy another product. That in the end will hurt them more than any destruction of property, especially if many others follow suit. 
    This guy comes across as a whiner having a hissy-fit that he didn't get his way.  Now, not only will he be responsible for damages, but he'll have a criminal record, and his name will forever live on in Google-search.  No company will hire him for fear he has a destructive temper.  I certainly would never hire him.  

I hope his few moments of twitter-fame were worth it.  Degenerate.
    macxpress
  • Reply 68 of 78
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.
    Well then, you must not have seen the rrrrrest of the story...  as a slight (albeit very French) tussle did actually ensue  : 

OMG, that's hilarious! I only saw up to the point where he initially exited the store and was confronted by security. Thanks for the 411.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    This guy is clearly out of his mind. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets off because of it. I can only imagine how something like this would be handled here in NYC. Security at the 5th Avenue store would have cleaned his clock. Not to mention that NYPD would have shot him: "He has a weapon!"
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 70 of 78
    I'm a bit tired of rational people debating the causes of irrational behavior in others.  This human is crazy.  Defective.  Sad, but true.  Glad he didn't have a gun.  
    ronn
  • Reply 71 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What's so amazing is the way he was treated by employees, security and customers. The security guard appears to be conversing with him about his actions, the store employees don't appear disgruntled or scared and other customers aren't reacting to his actions. In America his antics would not have been so politely received. My guess is a bystander would have intervened and a tussle would have ensued. Everything just comes off very passive.
    Well then, you must not have seen the rrrrrest of the story...  as a slight (albeit very French) tussle did actually ensue  : 

OMG, that's hilarious! I only saw up to the point where he initially exited the store and was confronted by security. Thanks for the 411.
    Haha, what an escape plan
  • Reply 72 of 78
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Why can't I play the video on Safari? Says "This browser does not support video playback."
    If you had Click to Flash installed and then later uninstalled Flash, HTML5 video may not work. It has to do with the way the <video> tag works and in which order the coder listed the optional codecs. 

In this case the solution is to uninstall Click to Flash. Then restart Safari.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Rage against the machines!  What a dolt. 

Things could have been worse though, if he really wanted to maximize expensive damage, he could have broken the glass storefront windows... 
  • Reply 74 of 78
    sog35 said:
    This was really dumb.

This is like stealing a bottle of ketchup from a billionaire. That $10k in damage won't hurt Apple even the slightest.

Because: insurance (and subrogation.)
  • Reply 75 of 78
    The video of almost all of the rampage can be found here. 

https://instagram.com/p/BK_9LzTDT5N/
  • Reply 76 of 78
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    sflagel said:
    in the US, they would have shot him.
    Nah, he was white.  :D
    dasanman69darwinianduderonnxixo
  • Reply 77 of 78
    chia said:
    Total lack of critical thinking: his rampage will be far far more costly for him than buying a replacement for his defective product...
    Doesn't this dude have insurance?