California approves limited testing of self-driving cars without wheels or backup drivers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    crowley said:
    paxman said:
    Absolutely the future of autonomous vehicles. PodCars. For city folks this will 'change everything'. I just can't imagine anyone would actually own their own vehicle. It wouldn't make sense.
    Well, let's see if this makes sense then. Let's shift gears. Imagine this scenario:  you're in a rush... man, you're in a hurry & you've gotta go... right now... time is of the essence, it's here so you gotta commit regardless... you open the door, step inside, have a seat & live with the consequences, captive for the duration...

Would you rather be sitting in :  
    a) your own personal, hygienic home bathroom or;
    b) on some convenient albeit septic, herpes-infested public toilet seat?

I bet people will prefer their own self-driving cars. 
    As someone who takes public transport on a daily basis in the UK, do transport providers in the US not clean their vehicles?

Aside from that, I'd rather fly in my own private jet than on an airline.  Cost and practicality has a part to play though; in cities parking space carries a premium.
    You bring up a point.  I'm late for a meeting.  Need to jump in my car and get their fast.  A self-driving car will never break the laws.  You will drive 5, maybe 10 over the speed limit where you think you can.  That reason alone will mean no one, and I mean no one will ever want a self driving car.  Also, I prefer to hold my own penis when I pee.  That should explain it too.  There are some things we're not going to want to give up to automation.  Driving and peeing will be two of them.
    holyone
  • Reply 22 of 47
    As someone who takes public transport on a daily basis in the UK, do transport providers in the US not clean their vehicles?

As someone who takes public transport on a daily basis in the UK, do you not just have to soak yourself nightly in gin then light your Black Plague-infested clothes on fire, just to disinfect on a daily basis?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    Why does this incredibly aesthetically unappealing picture of Google's self-driving car shown (almost) everywhere on Google's website, and in every story (AI or elsewhere) in which this topic appears?! Do these people seriously expect folks to buy something that looks like Spongebob's car?

Talk about zero -- no, negative -- design taste.
    What made you think Google had any intention of selling them, or selling any car at all?  They don't as far as I've read so what does the design matter? FWIW they also have some Lexus vehicles driving autonomously, perhaps others as well. 
    Why then are they not featured prominently, if at all, on the web pages I linked to? How difficult is it to feature something that doesn't look like a boiled egg on four wheels!? It just takes a little bit of design intent, that's all. 
  • Reply 24 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    crowley said:
    paxman said:
    Absolutely the future of autonomous vehicles. PodCars. For city folks this will 'change everything'. I just can't imagine anyone would actually own their own vehicle. It wouldn't make sense.
    Well, let's see if this makes sense then. Let's shift gears. Imagine this scenario:  you're in a rush... man, you're in a hurry & you've gotta go... right now... time is of the essence, it's here so you gotta commit regardless... you open the door, step inside, have a seat & live with the consequences, captive for the duration...

Aside from that, I'd rather fly in my own private jet than on an airline.  Cost and practicality has a part to play though; in cities parking space carries a premium.
    You bring up a point.  I'm late for a meeting.  Need to jump in my car and get their fast.  A self-driving car will never break the laws.  You will drive 5, maybe 10 over the speed limit where you think you can.  That reason alone will mean no one, and I mean no one will ever want a self driving car.  Also, I prefer to hold my own penis when I pee.  That should explain it too.  There are some things we're not going to want to give up to automation.  Driving and peeing will be two of them.
    and yet when you speed in the city to get somewhere it doesn't actually get you there any faster -- it just feels good until you hit the light. add in the time to park and taking a ride is faster. 
  • Reply 25 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    and yet when you speed in the city to get somewhere it doesn't actually get you there any faster -- it just feels good until you hit the light. add in the time to park and taking a ride is faster. 
    We’re still talking about peeing right?
    ericlmercer
  • Reply 26 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
    Because driving something like a Mercedes AMG or the like is a glorious feeling. 
    It is on the open road but not really when stuck in traffic. It is always nice to be seated in opulence, granted, but you gotta look at the bigger picture. I don't think driving fast cars will go away, however. But if you have ever driven on a track you know what 'real' fun is. A 200 000 dollar car stuck in traffic is nonsensical. 
  • Reply 27 of 47
    paxman said:

Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway. Tco of car ownership is unreasonably high if you live in a city like NY or London. I like driving. Both cars and motorcycles. But I despise sitting in traffic. I'd rather read a book or the news. 
  • Reply 28 of 47
    paxman said:
    Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway.
    I can’t imagine the thought processes of a person who’d just lend his personal possessions to utter strangers and expect not to have to bleach the insides every time…
    ericlmercer
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jsmythe00 said:
    How will these cars work with low profile vehicles like motorcycles. What about when they lane split. Legal or otherwise. 

I motorcycle often and often times we need to do some questionable stuff to keep safe. Things that don't...conform to normal driving habits 
    In Europe lane splitting is legal and everybody does it. It is one of the advantages of riding a bike.  I  spent half my life driving in the U.K but I now live in North America. I do lanesplit (with great caution) and it takes me 1/2 the time to get home from work on my mc. I have a hard time figuring out why some people get all irate. They should fell good for me imo. It is not as if I ever impede their progress. 
  • Reply 30 of 47
    paxman said:
    paxman said:

Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway. Tco of car ownership is unreasonably high if you live in a city like NY or London. I like driving. Both cars and motorcycles. But I despise sitting in traffic. I'd rather read a book or the news. 
    My own twisted vision... so about this Looney Tunes Utopian Car-Tune you star in, right?... it has you riding around NY or London in some nasty public vehicle engaged 100% by the same unwashed narcissists who mindlessly carpet-bomb skank all over public toilets. Why not try sharing your bathroom with 9 other NYers so it's not idle 90% of the time... or partage your iPhone with 9 London hooligans to compare your present TCO against all the viruses you & this eco-friendly jail-broken self-driving iPhone will accumulate.  
    tallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

As someone who takes public transport on a daily basis in the UK, do you not just have to soak yourself nightly in gin then light your Black Plague-infested clothes on fire, just to disinfect on a daily basis?
    Obviously not.  Seems like you have an extreme germphobia.  That's ok, you can pay for your own private vehicle, no one is going to stop you.

I think many people will be satisfied with use shared vehicles though, people are certainly willing to pack in like sardines on the Tube or take taxis, so an on-demand autonomous vehicle will be perfectly acceptable.
    edited October 2016 hmm
  • Reply 32 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    Why does this incredibly aesthetically unappealing picture of Google's self-driving car shown (almost) everywhere on Google's website, and in every story (AI or elsewhere) in which this topic appears?! Do these people seriously expect folks to buy something that looks like Spongebob's car?

What made you think Google had any intention of selling them, or selling any car at all?  They don't as far as I've read so what does the design matter? FWIW they also have some Lexus vehicles driving autonomously, perhaps others as well. 
    I'd agree with you, that would be more Google's modus operandi.  Google would most likely give their tech away for free to the likes of Samsung who would just copy others hardware and use Google AI system.  That way Google won't be sued by those  companies that were ripped off plus Google can data gather and sell ads I assume.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gatorguy said:

Why then are they not featured prominently, if at all, on the web pages I linked to? How difficult is it to feature something that doesn't look like a boiled egg on four wheels!? 
    Isn't it obvious? They're unique to Google, gets lots of attention, and easily recognized by other drivers as autonomous vehicles. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 34 of 47
     ericlmercer said:
    paxman said:
    paxman said:

My own twisted vision... so about this Looney Tunes Utopian Car-Tune you star in, right?... it has you riding around NY or London in some nasty public vehicle engaged 100% by the same unwashed narcissists who mindlessly carpet-bomb skank all over public toilets. Why not try sharing your bathroom with 9 other NYers so it's not idle 90% of the time... or partage your iPhone with 9 London hooligans to compare your present TCO against all the viruses you & this eco-friendly jail-broken self-driving iPhone will accumulate.  
    Your anger is making you incoherent. Your rage is turning you into a negative force. Fight it or soon you'll be that guy sitting alone in the pub shaking his fist at the world. 
    edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 47
    paxman said:
    Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway.
    I can’t imagine the thought processes of a person who’d just lend his personal possessions to utter strangers and expect not to have to bleach the insides every time…
    I wasn't talking about my own personal possessions, but I grew up and spent my early adult life in two European cities both of which have well developed public transport systems that are used by people from all echelons of society for the simple reason that it is cheaper and simplifies life. The requirement of post use defumigation has never been raised as an issue. I don't worry too much about traveling in taxis, either. I don't like it when they are not clean but I have never heard of anybody picking up any kind of disease from traveling in a cab or public transport anywhere. Have you?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 36 of 47
    paxman said:
    I don't like it when they are not clean but I have never heard of anybody picking up any kind of disease from traveling in a cab or public transport anywhere. Have you?
    Taxis and buses have supervision. Anything potentially dangerous can be outed almost immediately.
    ericlmercer
  • Reply 37 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
    I wasn't talking about my own personal possessions, but I grew up and spent my early adult life in two European cities both of which have well developed public transport systems that are used by people from all echelons of society for the simple reason that it is cheaper and simplifies life. The requirement of post use defumigation has never been raised as an issue. I don't worry too much about traveling in taxis, either. I don't like it when they are not clean but I have never heard of anybody picking up any kind of disease from traveling in a cab or public transport anywhere. Have you?
    Completely agree.

And you know what, the service providers can compensate for any potential issues.  I presume there will probably be an app, or an in-car control panel - a simple "this vehicle is spoiled/unhygienic - reject" button and the entire problem is solved.  Since the vehicle will have a record of who used it previously that could even lead to bad customer-blocking.

But I doubt it'll even happen.  Personal vehicles are always going to be more expensive than mass transport, and the unhygenic people (from the comments here, they appear to be more common in the US) tend to go the cheaper routes.  Largely a non-issue, and easily reportable/solvable.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 38 of 47
    paxman said:
     ericlmercer said:
    paxman said:
    paxman said:

Your anger is making you incoherent. Your rage is turning you into a negative force. Fight it or soon you'll be that guy sitting alone in the pub shaking his fist at the world. 
    There's nothing more incoherent than deflecting a losing argument through personal attacks Paxman. When your position leaves you with nothing of substance to contribute, you do realize you can simply sit back & follow the discussion, right?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 47
    paxman said:
    Would it help if you were asked to envision sharing your IV drip with nine other people and then told to pare back the analogy from there to your other possessions?

Your house has more than one room, yes? Should you not take in at least one of the invasion force now swarming over Europe so that those rooms are not wasted 90% of the time?
    edited October 2016 ericlmercer
  • Reply 40 of 47
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Great story, tarfungo.  I wonder how well d-less cars do with people trying to merge in front of them (like when a lane is taken out of service for an accident).  I can imagine that an group of robot cars would be super efficient whereas a mix of drivers and robots could be awful--especially for the passengers in the uber polite robot car. 
    great great point!  that makes sense....the future will be chaotic if these driverless systems have to interact with assholes.