California approves limited testing of self-driving cars without wheels or backup drivers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
     ericlmercer said:
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
    Absolutely the future of autonomous vehicles. PodCars. For city folks this will 'change everything'. I just can't imagine anyone would actually own their own vehicle. It wouldn't make sense.
    Well, let's see if this makes sense then. Let's shift gears. Imagine this scenario:  you're in a rush... man, you're in a hurry & you've gotta go... right now... time is of the essence, it's here so you gotta commit regardless... you open the door, step inside, have a seat & live with the consequences, captive for the duration...

Would you rather be sitting in :  
    a) your own personal, hygienic home bathroom or;
    b) on some convenient albeit septic, herpes-infested public toilet seat?

I bet people will prefer their own self-driving cars. 
    Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway. Tco of car ownership is unreasonably high if you live in a city like NY or London. I like driving. Both cars and motorcycles. But I despise sitting in traffic. I'd rather read a book or the news. 
    My own twisted vision... so about this Looney Tunes Utopian Car-Tune you star in, right?... it has you riding around NY or London in some nasty public vehicle engaged 100% by the same unwashed narcissists who mindlessly carpet-bomb skank all over public toilets. Why not try sharing your bathroom with 9 other NYers so it's not idle 90% of the time... or partage your iPhone with 9 London hooligans to compare your present TCO against all the viruses you & this eco-friendly jail-broken self-driving iPhone will accumulate.  
    Your anger is making you incoherent. Your rage is turning you into a negative force. Fight it or soon you'll be that guy sitting alone in the pub shaking his fist at the world. 
    There's nothing more incoherent than deflecting a losing argument through personal attacks Paxman. When your position leaves you with nothing of substance to contribute, you do realize you can simply sit back & follow the discussion, right?
    So sensitive! I think your response was incoherent and fueled by anger, and saying so hardly constitutes 'personal attack'.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 42 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Self driving cars without wheels?
    Hopefully they meant "a steering wheel".
  • Reply 43 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Will it still have the big red button?
    "EJECT"
  • Reply 44 of 47
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
     ericlmercer said:
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
    Absolutely the future of autonomous vehicles. PodCars. For city folks this will 'change everything'. I just can't imagine anyone would actually own their own vehicle. It wouldn't make sense.
    Well, let's see if this makes sense then. Let's shift gears. Imagine this scenario:  you're in a rush... man, you're in a hurry & you've gotta go... right now... time is of the essence, it's here so you gotta commit regardless... you open the door, step inside, have a seat & live with the consequences, captive for the duration...

Sure, if you put it like that. But I think that is just your own twisted vision and not a reflection of a likely future. Cars spend on average 90% of their time standing still in a driveway. Tco of car ownership is unreasonably high if you live in a city like NY or London. I like driving. Both cars and motorcycles. But I despise sitting in traffic. I'd rather read a book or the news. 
    My own twisted vision... so about this Looney Tunes Utopian Car-Tune you star in, right?... it has you riding around NY or London in some nasty public vehicle engaged 100% by the same unwashed narcissists who mindlessly carpet-bomb skank all over public toilets. Why not try sharing your bathroom with 9 other NYers so it's not idle 90% of the time... or partage your iPhone with 9 London hooligans to compare your present TCO against all the viruses you & this eco-friendly jail-broken self-driving iPhone will accumulate.  
    Your anger is making you incoherent. Your rage is turning you into a negative force. Fight it or soon you'll be that guy sitting alone in the pub shaking his fist at the world. 
    There's nothing more incoherent than deflecting a losing argument through personal attacks Paxman. When your position leaves you with nothing of substance to contribute, you do realize you can simply sit back & follow the discussion, right?
    So sensitive! I think your response was incoherent and fueled by anger, and saying so hardly constitutes 'personal attack'.
    You just can't get over your creepy fixation on my person & keep imagining that I must be angry with you. I'm not, so calm down. You're just annoying & seem to enjoy being so. But I can help guide you past this blockage & steer you back on topic.

So here's why you deflect: Your personal, myopic vision has little relevance to this industry, so your position shifts from side to side & fails... And rather than broadening your views or even defending them, you employ personal attacks & repetitive childish provocations to cover up your incongruity...

A few of your arguments:

paxman said:
    ..."I just can't imagine anyone would actually own their own vehicle. It wouldn't make sense."
    ... "I like driving. Both cars and motorcycles. But I despise sitting in traffic". 
    ... "it takes me 1/2 the time to get home from work on my mc. I have a hard time figuring out why some people get all irate".
    ..."I don't worry too much about traveling in taxis, either. I don't like it when they are not clean"...

Your discourse is all over the road since you won't just choose a lane... So in your own words: 

➊ you can't imagine why people own vehicles...
    ➋ yet you weave in & out of traffic on your own vehicle...
    ➌ bewildered why your behavior makes drivers irate
    ➍ you defend the filth you don't like in public transportation when others call it filthy
    ➎ don't realize that driverless cars will add to traffic & get stuck in traffic, just like other cars
    ➏ you presume these cars with their v1.0 guidance systems won't mindlessly run you over as you whip in front of them to make it home in ½ the time...

Your arguents are like your driving habits paxman. You weave mindlessly from one position to its polar opposite, erratically changing lanes of argument as it suits you, then don't understand why the drivers you irritate honk. 

My own point, impeded by your acute fixation on me, is that driverless cars are ultimately being developed for individuals & that public transport is certainly not the payoff market for this technology. The Google prototype pictured above is a car, not a bus. Tesla is ramping up to produce millions of personal vehicles. Apple builds products people love & it's no accident they think building cars people will love will produce the margins they command... but Apple will never build payphones nor busses. The bulk of profit will come from individuals buying their own vehicles, just like now.  Driverless mass transit won't be any more appealing than today, it'll wind up just as filthy & remain purely utilitarian, our only expectations being that they function & at minimal cost. 

Look. I certainly don't expect a substantive reply from you, only more feigned incomprehension & this paranoid misconception that somehow people who debate your points must be angry with you. You're not difficult to figure out. You simply prefer to annoy & to goad when arguement fails you. You have no interest in furthing interesting discussion, just fomenting hate. 

I'm also posting this as a warning sign for others: When you see paxman all over the road on a topic, no need to honk, he's not here for the discussion. Best just let him pass. The annoying scooter he barges thru discussions with will eventually meet up with some pilotless semi, heavily laden with a cargo of logic & an imperfect avoidance system that will dispassionately plow thru all his disingenuous nonsense. 
    edited October 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 45 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
     ericlmercer said:
    paxman said:
    paxman said:

➊ you can't imagine why people own vehicles...
    ➋ yet you weave in & out of traffic on your own vehicle...
    ➌ bewildered why your behavior makes drivers irate
    ➍ you defend the filthy public transportation you don't like
    ➎ don't realize that driverless cars will not only add to traffic, but also get stuck in traffic, just like any other car
    ➏ you presume these cars won't mindlessly run you over with their v1.0 guidance systems as you whip in front of them to make it home in ½ the time...

1 - I know exactly why people own vehicles. I said that in a future with autonomous vehicles it doesn't make sense to own a vehicle in urban areas.
    2 - Did I say or imply that? I don't think so. I am not at all aggressive in traffic. 
    3 - Bewildered is your word. I know why people get pissed off with motorcyclists. My point, as I am pretty sure you understood, was that I think getting irate with motorcyclists because they can move easier through traffic is childish and petulant. 
    4 - I defend public transportation. It is the better ecological and economical choice for urban transit. I don't like dirty public transport in the same way I don't like dirty private transport. You implied that all public transport was filthy, not me. And I am right as you'd know if you ever used public transport.
    5 - You know nothing about what I do or do not realize. Over time autonomous vehicles could form part of a far more efficient citywide transportation system. Single individuals in SUV's or trucks driving to and from work with no citywide oversight is a recipe for congestion.
    6 - Here you go again - your anger is causing you to make shit up. I don't 'whip in front' of anyone. I never 'aim to make it home in 1/2 time'. And autonomous vehicles mindlessly running over people? Really? 
    FYI - you clearly have never driven a motorcycle. Whipping in and out in front of other drivers is putting your own life at risk. Lane-splitting at high speed is extremely risky and ill advised. When cars are standing still, however, slowly gliding by at a few mph will save you a lot of time. It is illegal in North America except for in California, I believe. If you choose to break the law as I do, you can sometimes save much time. If I get caught my dislike of that particular law will be a poor defence, a gamble I can live with.

Do I frustrate you? Do you dislike me? Probably and but I don't give a shit. There are people here who I respect and who's posts I always read. Other people who I always disagree with I read becauseI find them entertaining. You belong to a whole other category.
    I'm also posting this as a warning sign for others: When you see paxman all over the road on a topic, no need to honk, he's not here for the discussion. Best just let him pass. The annoying scooter he barges thru discussions with will eventually meet up with some pilotless semi, heavily laden with a cargo of logic & an imperfect avoidance system that will dispassionately plow thru all his disingenuous nonsense.

That is funny, but I disagree with 'disingenuous'. But I am not worried about the imperfect navigation system. It is unlikely to ever be as imperfect as the present navigation systems that inhabit most vehicles, and that are prone to all sorts of environmental distractions.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 46 of 47

Bravo paxman
    ! (Wasn't so hard now, was it)?

That

More of it with a bit more calm & just a smidge less personal vitriol & you might be able to pass as a likable dude with an actual opinion.

Enjoyed the clash, glad to have finally coaxed you back towards topic & a modicum of civility, wasn't sure it'd be possible.

That was fun. Thank you.  ;)
    edited October 2016