Suspect 27" iMac model with Intel Kaby Lake pops up at Best Buy

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
An aberration has appeared on the BestBuy website, showing a possible 27-inch 5K iMac with a seventh generation Kaby Lake Intel Core processor -- but some discrepancies cast some doubt on the listing.

At some point on Sunday night, the line item for a new iMac appeared. Carrying a model number of K0SC0LL/A, the Best Buy web page claims it has a seventh generation Intel Core i7 processor, a 27-inch display, 32GB memory, a 2TB fusion drive, and the AMD Radeon R9 M380 graphics chipset with 2GB of video RAM. The Best Buy line item retails for $3200. However, an existing model customized with a 4.0 GHz sixth generation i7 processor with 32GB of RAM, and a 2TB Fusion drive can be built to order at Apple.com for $3150, only $50 less than the Best Buy price. The R9 M380 is an odd inclusion on the Best Buy page, given that the R9 M395 is available in the existing 5k iMac. Additionally, it is not clear if Kaby Lake quad-core processors suitable for a 27-inch Retina 5K iMac are currently shipping.

Another discrepancy is the Apple model number as listed by Best Buy. The K0SC0LL/A does not conform to existing nomenclature of MK462, MK472, or MK482 prefacing a remaining two digits, and completed with a /A. The rumor mill has had little to say about an iMac refresh, but it has been a year since the last iMac refresh, so adding Kaby Lake to the iMac at the same time that a MacBook Pro may be introduced with it is possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    USBc also would be surprising not to see. And without Lighting how do we get headphone port consistency.
    aaarrrgggh
  • Reply 2 of 24
    A new model would be loaded with Sierra, which would be referred to as "macOS" rather than "Mac OS X"
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Available 6 October...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple, just about time. Please, refresh all Macs (including wired numeric keyboard with built-in USB 3.1 Generation 2 2-port hub) and Thunderbolt display!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    It's also listed as SILVER. Made me think if they really would give the iMac the same color options as the Macbooks.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Please let the new MBP have Kaby Lake processors.....
  • Reply 7 of 24
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    Another discrepancy is the Apple model number as listed by Best Buy. The K0SC0LL/A does not conform to existing nomenclature of MK462, MK472, or MK482 prefacing a remaining two digits, and completed with a /A.
    Well, I'm sorry to put it this bluntly, but that's also a bit inaccurate on your part… Apple does use 7-digit numbers ending in “/A”, it just so happens those are order numbers instead of model numbers. As a matter of fact, absolutely all Mac order numbers going as far as the 1990 Macintosh Classic, from the John Sculley days, seem to end in “LL/[alpha]” (some of them actually end in B, and I haven't found any ending in C but I wouldn't discard those as a possibility, but in any case Apple seems to have dropped that numbering convention and to have standardized in “LL/A”, maybe for the sake of tradition and to differentiate them from model numbers).

From the page about the latest Retina 5K iMac model, currently on sale, on the MacTracker iOS app:
    Order Number: MK462LL/A (3.2 GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M380), MK472LL/A (3.2 GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M390), MK482LL/A (3.3 GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M395)

It does appear, however, that this model *would* break the almost ininterrupted pattern of naming the Mac order numbers “M[…]”, the second character being an increasing character (the Bondi Blue started out as “M6”, “M9” covered both G4 and G5 iMacs and the first “M[alpha]” was the Rev. C G5 w/ iSight, so their atrribution doesn't always correlate with generational skips *nor* with Mac models, and I believe “MJ” was either skipped altogether or reserved for some education model or whatever). It stands to reason that the next order number would start with “ML” instead of “K0” but, then again, Apple could be revising its naming conventions (maybe because they finally ran out of numbers? I have no idea and it has been already 26 years since they started using that numbering scheme, so I'd have to scour them to find out, but I believe that should be your job ;) ) while keeping the “LL/A” part.

Considering past history, that may very well be a legit iMac order number (and a legit leak), while also representing a significant shift in the order numbering scheme on the Mac line altogether.
    edited October 2016 jax44
  • Reply 8 of 24
    RAM is listed as DDR3 -- going out on a limb and suggesting this is just false. (SKL + KBL machines would prefer DDR4)
  • Reply 9 of 24
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Apple aren't going to be telling the IT department at Best Buy or anywhere else the technical specifications of unannounced products. So at best it's a guessed-at placeholder, probably using previous details but changed enough to be unique.
    mike1nolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ireland said:
    And without Lighting how do we get headphone port consistency.
    That level of attention to details across the product range has been missing from Apple for a long time now so I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macs don't have lightning connectors.
    macguiaylk
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    appex said:
    Apple, just about time. Please, refresh all Macs (including wired numeric keyboard with built-in USB 3.1 Generation 2 2-port hub) and Thunderbolt display!
    Still don't understand why Apple does not offer a wireless extended keyboard at all. Makes no sense.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Eagerly waiting for all new Macbook Pro refresh.Wish Intel's 10nm(which is 7nm equivalent future TSMC) chip would have lined up with the upcoming refresh. .
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    ireland said:
    USBc also would be surprising not to see. And without Lighting how do we get headphone port consistency.
    To bad the one the mouse is underneath it would make a great way to plug in lighting headphones if it was on the side or back. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mike1 said:
    appex said:
    Still don't understand why Apple does not offer a wireless extended keyboard at all. Makes no sense.
     Yes this! Not everyone wants or can use a keyboard without the number pad. And, with LED backlit keys. Maybe go back to black keys on the keyboard as well. I usually my computer a lot at night so a backlit keyboard would be awesome. Whenever I order Macs I always opt for the USB extended keyboard just because I want the extended keyboard. 

I do think iMacs will be out soon. I would be very surprised if it didn't have USB-C on them (possibly replacing all USB 3 ports), or replace the 2 thunderbolt ports with 2 USB-C ports. Should have DDR4 RAM. The Best Buy listings aren't always accurate so take this with a grain of salt. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Sounds like some Best Buy copy writer got a little carried away.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    1) Bluetooth headphones
    2) plug it into Lightning port on Magic Keyboard (which is basically BT)
    3) A USB-C adapter that doesn't yet exist. In fact no adapters exist to use Lightning headphones on anything else besides the iPhone 7 and newer iOS devices.
    4) built-in Lightning port.

Here's a question: on the MacBook, USB-C will provide power and charging. Lightning 2 will also provide power and charging ability. Will either port supply power to the iMac? Or will the iMac continue to use its own dedicated power source?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hattig said:
    Apple aren't going to be telling the IT department at Best Buy or anywhere else the technical specifications of unannounced products. So at best it's a guessed-at placeholder, probably using previous details but changed enough to be unique.
    this. for no other reason this is bogus. apple isn't going to tell BB web boogers about it's unannounced products. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 24
    ireland said:
    I read this as "headphone port controversy"! That's much more important, how are we supposed to dismiss this probably imaginary machine's disgraceful spec without some controversy?

What no Serial Port! Where am I supposed to plug in my modem?
    nolamacguyanomewilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland said:
    I see no good reason for Apple to put a Lightening port in any Mac. It just strengthens the march to a completely proprietary Mac. Even with USB-C I'm worried that Apple will use features of that port standard to implement a MiFi lock out on the port. Doing any of these would be really bad for the Mac and user freedom.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    wizard69 said:
    ireland said:
    I see no good reason for Apple to put a Lightening port in any Mac. It just strengthens the march to a completely proprietary Mac. Even with USB-C I'm worried that Apple will use features of that port standard to implement a MiFi lock out on the port. Doing any of these would be really bad for the Mac and user freedom.

More importantly, so far the Lightning connector has been exclusively for connecting peripheral devices to the Mac, and it's primarily for charging. The Pencil uses Lightning to pair to iPads because it's the one port the iPad has. I don't think putting it in the Mac just for headphones is something they want to do. The consistency is a point, but I'm not sure it's one that's particularly bothering them.

Still, we'll see what they do when it comes out.