Microsoft halts sales of Band fitness trackers, says no new model in 2016

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft has pulled its Band fitness trackers from its online store, and confirmed that it won't have a new model out in 2016, suggesting that the company is rethinking its approach to a wearables market largely dominated by Fitbit and Apple.

"We have sold through our existing Band 2 inventory and have no plans to release another Band device this year," a spokesperson told ZDNet, adding that the company still intends to support Band 2 owners and the Microsoft Health platform for Windows, iOS, and Android. It has also removed the Band SDK from its developer downloads though, effectively ending any third-party app support.

Sources for ZDNet claimed that Microsoft isn't going to ship a Band 3 in the near future, and is in fact planning to phase out its trackers entirely.

The Band has never made a significant dent in the fitness market, despite having Microsoft's weight behind it and a major redesign in Oct. 2015.

The company likely isn't abandoning wearables entirely, given the growing importance of the market. At the very least it's still working on the HoloLens, an augmented reality wearable. Apple is known to be working on AR technology as well, though it doesn't have any announced products and might not for years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    the hits just keep coming for these guys...but wall st still has a hard on for them 
    anantksundarambigsockrolidcalibadmonklolliverjony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Millions of people shocked to learn that MS was making a band.
    Tens of... dozens of people sad.

But seriously, reviews show that the band was pretty good. But it lacks the apps and is too niche.
    anantksundarambigsockrolidjbdragoncalibadmonklolliverjony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    And it wasn't even brown ;)
    pscooter63bigsockrolidlkruppbadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 26
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    but but but -- people said the Apple Watch should have been a futuristic-looking curved device from the future like the Band! (granted this was on MR where they will hate on anything and everything Apple, but still...)
    quadra 610bigbadmonklolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 26
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    More Apple Watch roadkill.

Next.
    bigsockrolidjbdragoncalibadmonklolliverjony0
  • Reply 6 of 26
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    In terms of product life trajectory, that was one of the quickest dog and pony shows in recent memory.  Some Kickstarters fare better than that.
    bigsockrolidjbdragoncalihydrogenbadmonklolliver
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Zune Band... Oh, wait... Microsoft stock has been climbing quite strongly, so apparently, they're doing something a lot better than Apple. Maybe Apple stock will go up if they stop selling AppleWatches which everyone says is a huge failure, anyway.
    badmonk
  • Reply 8 of 26
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Microsoft has pulled its Band fitness trackers from its online store, and confirmed that it won't have a new model out in 2016...
    <crickets> ...
    jbdragoncalipscooter63kudubadmonklolliverjony0
  • Reply 9 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

What, another product which MS has not figure out how to make money. Anyone keeping count how many products MS failed to make money on. From a Hardware stand point, Keyboard and Mice I believe they made money on, Still not sure if they make money on Gaming systems, I think they turned the corner after about 10 yrs of give products away but they had to buy a bunch of games software companies to help hide the losses.

MS is just lucky Apple did not decide to go into the gaming consoled business that would be another one they would be closing the doors on.

I tell people this all the time, Hardware engineers can write code, but code writers can not build hardware. Something in the hardware guys DNA that allows them to do both. Apple understand this thus the reason they hire the best hardware people out there. MS DNA is software and they understand this as well as Google, but if you want to make great hardware why go work for a software company.

jbdragoncalibadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 26
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    clemynx said:
    Millions of people shocked to learn that MS was making a band.
    Tens of... dozens of people sad.

But seriously, reviews show that the band was pretty good. But it lacks the apps and is too niche.
    This. I think bands like FitBit does a much better job of Marketing. Microsoft is the last brand an individual thinks of when it comes to fitness. Reviews did tend to suggest it was a good product.

The Surface is also a good product which IS in a device category that people tend to associate with the Microsoft brand, which is why it will continue to be a successful product for them.
    badmonk
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Ming Kuo has a new research note out predicting a drop in Watch sales this year. I'm surprised it isn't breaking news here yet as any time he farts it gets a front page story here...

Microsoft isn't giving up on Surface. They see an opening to go after Mac customers. That's why I hope we see a really nice update sometime this month. Michael Gartenberg, who writes for iMore and used to work at Apple, thinks Macs are going the way of iPods. I hope he's wrong. Don't cede the professional market to Microsoft.
    calibadmonk
  • Reply 12 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     I was thinking about Microsoft earlier. Every market they enter they try to copy Apple and have failed since Zunes.

Zune, windows mobile, Surface, all leading Microsoft into irrelevancy. Since Microsoft doesn't have a successful mobile platform copying Apple Watch will fail also. At least the band was different but it seems Microsoft is lost without copying Apple.
    badmonk
  • Reply 13 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Possible BI or NYT headline: Apple Watch competitor fails. Is Apple Watch next?
    badmonk
  • Reply 14 of 26

Microsoft is pushing hard with AI and Cloud. I was just listening to the Techpinions podcast about this and they made a valid point about how these things are more enterprise-centric, but not consumer-centric.

With Blackberry finally pulling the plug on hardware, MS EOLing the Band, hardware is becoming a very tough game for people to stay in. People don't realise how Apple excels here. They'll either claim "Peak iPhone" or call people "iSheep" for blindly buying into Apple's philosophy. They'll even throw around the term "Reality Distortion Field" without even knowing what it means and in what context it was used for Steve Jobs.

watto_cobrabadmonklolliver
  • Reply 15 of 26
    cali said:
     I was thinking about Microsoft earlier. Every market they enter they try to copy Apple and have failed since Zunes.

Zune, windows mobile, Surface, all leading Microsoft into irrelevancy. Since Microsoft doesn't have a successful mobile platform copying Apple Watch will fail also. At least the band was different but it seems Microsoft is lost without copying Apple.
    You forgot Azure? They didn't copy Apple and became massively successful.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    cali said:

I don't know that I'd call the Surface a failure. It's not a colossal hit, but it has its niche. The last two Pro models have been well-reviewed.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Really charging ahead on the implementation of their "fail fast, abandon & move on" corporate strategy I see.
    lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cali said:

I don't know that I'd call the Surface a failure. It's not a colossal hit, but it has its niche. The last two Pro models have been well-reviewed.
    but how did they sell?
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali said:

but how did they sell?
    They sold at least several.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    maestro64 said:

What, another product which MS has not figure out how to make money. Anyone keeping count how many products MS failed to make money on. From a Hardware stand point, Keyboard and Mice I believe they made money on, Still not sure if they make money on Gaming systems, I think they turned the corner after about 10 yrs of give products away but they had to buy a bunch of games software companies to help hide the losses.

MS is just lucky Apple did not decide to go into the gaming consoled business that would be another one they would be closing the doors on.

I tell people this all the time, Hardware engineers can write code, but code writers can not build hardware. Something in the hardware guys DNA that allows them to do both. Apple understand this thus the reason they hire the best hardware people out there. MS DNA is software and they understand this as well as Google, but if you want to make great hardware why go work for a software company.

Microsoft are probably doomed in the long run.  Of course they have a pretty large bank account so can keep churning out  failures for a long time to come.  Regarding gaming, from what I read gamers prefer to make their own machines so other than the copy of Windows 10 there's not a lot of profit for Microsoft in gaming on the PC side so that just leaves XBox.