Google Pixel revealed by resellers, shows remarkable similarity to iPhone design

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    igorsky said:
    "Hey HTC...design a phone that looks so close to an iPhone so that an uninformed customer might confused the two and buy ours instead. Make sure you even include similar looking bezels, even though ours serve no purpose whatsoever."

Do you really believe that at this point there are uninformed customers that would confuse an HTC phone with the iPhone? 
  • Reply 62 of 84
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    igorsky said:
    "Hey HTC...design a phone that looks so close to an iPhone so that an uninformed customer might confused the two and buy ours instead. Make sure you even include similar looking bezels, even though ours serve no purpose whatsoever."

Do you really believe that at this point there are uninformed customers that would confuse an HTC phone with the iPhone? 
    Absolutely.

Nice bold font, by the way.  Now I know you're really serious.
    calinolamacguy
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Uhh no. There are more OLEDs on phones in circulation than iPhones. Apple makes their money using old technology which can be purchased for cheap, then optimizing their software to run on these cheap machines that sell at a premium. HTC and Apple signed an agreement, which allows for the companies to copy each other, which is why so may iPhones have been adopting HTCs look. I just hope the new phone comes with HTCs DAC, which offers the best sound quality of any phone on the market. While iOS is more efficient on cheaper machines, I still gravitate to Android for its Customizability, versatility, and flexibility. I also don't like the idea of being trapped in an ecosystem, people should be allowed to chose default apps, and not have them chosen for them. I do hope that Apple learns that people are different, think different, and not just a bunch of lemmings.
    Then you really should look into getting one of these phones rather than wasting your time parroting googles talking points to people who already better...
  • Reply 64 of 84
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:

Absolutely.

I don't believe for a second that anyone would buy a HTC phone by mistake. I have to use the bold font or the cursor will jump into the previous comment bubble and stay there 
    cali
  • Reply 65 of 84
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wonder if the Pixel will also come with an exploding battery? All the cool copycats are doing it.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    AI_lias said:
    This design is superior to the iPhones, unfortunately. First off, HTC came out with aluminum and those antenna lines before Apple. Second, the phone has large battery, and as an added bonus, no camera bump. The iPhones since 6 are not really good designs. Apple has a captive audience because everything else, including the ecosystem. This way they can still get away with bad designs, and slippery phones which are unusable without a case. 
    All iPhone knockoffs look like an iPhone. Why are you trying to push this?

I wonder what the camera will be like. iMore did a blind camera test and the Galaxy S7 beat out iPhone 7 by a lot.

http://www.imore.com/best-smartphone-camera

I'm willing to bet the galaxy knockoff has exaggerated color representation. Non photographers will choose vibrant colors over true color.
    The iPhone 6s also beat iPhone 7 in blind tests because of this.

igorsky
  • Reply 67 of 84
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    gatorguy said:
    I wonder what the camera will be like. iMore did a blind camera test and the Galaxy S7 beat out iPhone 7 by a lot.

I was a tiny bit surprised by the results. iMore and their members certainly can't be accused of being Apple haters. 
    Lots of Android Central folks that frequent iMore. The comments section is usually full of Android fans trolling.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 68 of 84
    gatorguy said:

I was a tiny bit surprised by the results. iMore and their members certainly can't be accused of being Apple haters. 
    Lots of Android Central folks that frequent iMore. The comments section is usually full of Android fans trolling.
    Can't see why, the people at iMore aren't Android bashers. 
  • Reply 69 of 84
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:

Absolutely.

yeah this guy constantly uses bolded text for his entire messages...some sort of ego move to ensure people look at it, i suppose. 
  • Reply 70 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:

Absolutely.

yeah this guy constantly uses bolded text for his entire messages...some sort of ego move to ensure people look at it, i suppose. 
    He's explained a couple of times why he's using bold.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    sog35 said:

This takes the cake as the dumbest, most idiotic, most useless camera test of all time.

They literally used random people from the internet. Most who have ZERO experience in professional camera work. 
    For that reason alone it's a great camera test IMHO. It's matters not if one camera would supposedly be more technically accurate if those viewing the pictures don't care for it. I do take pictures semi-professionally as some others here do. I'm sure we've all learned that a "technically correct" image may not be what folks are wanting to pay for. They want better than true-to-life. 

Regarding the test results it's almost certain iPhone owners were the primary voters since it's primarily an Apple fan site, and some were probably surprised to find they had voted for what they may have assumed were iPhone pics but turned out not to be. There was no way anyone could have known for sure which camera took which images in advance, making it eminently fair.

What it really shows is there's not much separating image quality in the better smartphone cameras. They're all nice for regular users. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 72 of 84
    I don't see this phone taking any business from Apple. More likely it will just piss off Android OEM's like Samsung, Motorola, and HTC...
  • Reply 73 of 84
    sog35 said:
    I'm curious why all these POS brands can release super HD OLED screens and Apple can't?
    The 3D Touch feature requires a regular LED screen fromwhat I understand. Once they get it working with OLED and the suppliers can meet demand, Apple will move to OLED. They are already using OLED on the Apple Watch, but it uses Force Touch, which is a bit less sensitive than 3D Touch.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    gatorguy said:
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:

Absolutely.

He's explained a couple of times why he's using bold.
    Numerous times. I wish we had a signature like before so I could explain it there, and avoid being asked time and time again. 
  • Reply 75 of 84
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

This takes the cake as the dumbest, most idiotic, most useless camera test of all time.

They literally used random people from the internet. Most who have ZERO experience in professional camera work. 
    For that reason alone it's a great camera test IMHO. It's matters not if one camera would supposedly be more technically accurate if those viewing the pictures don't care for it. I do take pictures semi-professionally as some others here do. I'm sure we've all learned that a "technically correct" image may not be what folks are wanting to pay for. They want better than true-to-life. 

Regarding the test results it's almost certain iPhone owners were the primary voters since it's primarily an Apple fan site, and some were probably surprised to find they had voted for what they may have assumed were iPhone pics but turned out not to be. There was no way anyone could have known for sure which camera took which images in advance, making it eminently fair.

What it really shows is there's not much separating image quality in the better smartphone cameras. They're all nice for regular users. 
    No. You are wrong. The Samsung photos were painfully obvious in normal light.
    Apple fans seemed to know what they liked, and it's doubtful they recognized in advance that they came from a Samsung rather than some "other" brand. . ;)
  • Reply 76 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Numerous times. I wish we had a signature like before so I could explain it there, and avoid being asked time and time again. 
    Or just don’t do it. You’re not that important.
    igorsky
  • Reply 77 of 84
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

Apple fans seemed to know what they liked, and it's doubtful they recognized in advance that they came from a Samsung rather than some "other" brand. . ;)
    I'm saying Samsung/Google/Android fans were the ones who choose the Samsung photo's

Its really obvious which photos were over saturated aka Samsung photos
    iMore has more Android fans than Apple ones? Pretty doubtful sir. 
  • Reply 78 of 84
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    birko said:
    We will know more tonight, but I don't believe these images are the new pixel / nexus. Both HTC and Google have moved away from physical buttons on front of phone and towards small upper and lower bezels without physical keys. Why so much room around screen if no physical keys? Just makes the phone unnecessarily big.

The back does look decidedly HTC, except most of their cameras have been raised in the past.

And then it is how stupid Google will look if they come out with a phone that has a front design so close to iPhone.
    Looks like I was wrong. 
    Soli
  • Reply 79 of 84
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

Apple fans seemed to know what they liked, and it's doubtful they recognized in advance that they came from a Samsung rather than some "other" brand. .
    I'm saying Samsung/Google/Android fans were the ones who choose the Samsung photo's

What are you talking about?  I would say, at best, 50% of iMore readers are Apple fans.  That blog is like Macrumors.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 80 of 84
    sog35 said:

iMore has more members who took the test that can tell what Samsung photo's look like versus Apple fans that can tell what Apple photo's look like.

Like I said I had a 85% success rate in choosing the Samsung photo's. So easy to see.
    Ah, so you're claiming most voters weren't actually being honest and were so familiar with images from four various cameras they could accurately, consistently and selectively pick out Samsung ones from among the 64 individual pictures including a selection of indoor/outdoor/panoramic/high contrast/daytime/nightime and selfie picks. Suuurre....  :/  Carry on sir.