Google debuts Pixel 'Phone by Google,' with heavy emphasis on photography

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Where is the bezel free design? Where is the wireless charging? Where is the fingerprint scanner under the display? If this were Apple everyone would be complaining about how fugly and boring it looks. The only thing it has going for it is no camera bump? Big deal. 
    doozydozeniqatedo
  • Reply 22 of 95
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    No smoking Gun here. If history is any witness, everyone including Google knows that building and selling android phones in crowded market is not Google's forte. If "price is not right"(which looks like it does) than these two Google's PIXEL phones are DOA(dead on arrival). Google may seriously want to subsidize them heavily to succeed. Android ecosystem that Google created dictates the main feature of any android gadget has to be way cheaper on price for people to consider buying. Simple logic. If I have to spend similar money as iPhone than I rather buy iPhone. THE END. iPhone has awesome Specs, build quality,etc plus IOS is lot simpler,smoother and with zero to little hack-able vulnerabilities.
    calialbegarcgilly33watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Whose going to pay $649 for an Android "phone?"
    lordjohnwhorfinlongpathcaliwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Where is the bezel free design? Where is the wireless charging? Where is the fingerprint scanner under the display? If this were Apple everyone would be complaining about how fugly and boring it looks. The only thing it has going for it is no camera bump? Big deal. 
    Agreed, it's a pretty plain design, nothing outstanding about it IMHO. Boring is an apt description. 
  • Reply 25 of 95
    NY1822 said:
    Google Home looks like a $3.99 Glade Air Freshener 
    Haha...made me laugh. :)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 95
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    So folks, that's what an iPhone might look like with no Home button and therefore unnecessarily large chin.
    nolamacguycalidoozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Why did Google make a VR headset in "crimeson"? Why not blue to match their NEW phone? Apparently Google VR didn't know what color phones where coming out today, oops....
    nolamacguycaliwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Google didn't copy Apple, it copied Amazon's Fire Phone, releasing a boring me-too copycat phone at a premium price. $650 for a 32GB phone? Ridiculous. And why do they insist on this insane 4K resolution on a 5.5" screen? All it does is cost power pushing around pixels nobody can see without a magnifying glass. I bet you'll see this phone heavily discounted on ebay within a couple of months.
    anantksundaramcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 95
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's a Nexus reboot for the purpose of actually selling these in numbers to justify Google making these in the first place. 

At the worst possible price point. Unless they're Apple. 

Guess who they're not. 
    nolamacguycaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 95
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy said:
    How is this design not a complete ripoff of the iPhone???
    HTC would tell you it was they who were ripped off if anyone was. The latest HTC-produced smartphones are evolutions of the HTC original design that began with the 2013 One M7 at least as they claim. 
    yeah, evolved right into an iPhone. imagine that. what are the chances that their designers came up w/ the same thing years later? amazing!
    calimagman1979watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 31 of 95

I noticed they took seveal cheap shots at Apple during this keynote. When is the last time Apple did that? Last time I can remember is when they announced the iPad mini. I don't like it. Not classy at all.

Agreed. I was impressed when Apple did _not_ take advantage of Samsung's battery situation during their keynote, and I was hoping Google had the same level of class, but they failed on this, sadly. Other than that, this product announcement was very well done and professional. They've truly matured, but it shows just how far Apple was ahead of the rest on the marketplace, and now the rest have caught up. Apple better keep going ...
    thats two times in this thread you've expressed "concern" for apple. in which ways specifically has the iPhone been "falling behind on several fronts"
    edited October 2016 calimagman1979watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 95
    here i agree with you.
    magman1979watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Because "Apple never truly invented anything" according to the Apple haters. They're just "really good at marketing."
    edited October 2016 caliwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 95
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Ridiculous. They even copied the rumored blue color for the iPhone7

Pathetic company. I watched some of the 'event' and it played like a parody of an Apple event. So sad and pathetic. They should stick to ads
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn't. . . .  
    Perhaps whoever started the blue iPhone rumor was reacting to knowledge of a blue one coming from Google. 
    More importantly, where's the pink rose gold one?
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 35 of 95
    sog35 said:
    The biggest 'features' of the phone are things that $99 Android phones will have in a few months. 
    I just naturally assumed that in a few months THIS will be a $99 Android phone.
    caliwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 36 of 95
    MacBAir said:
    sog35 said:

Pathetic company. I watched some of the 'event' and it played like a parody of an Apple event. So sad and pathetic. They should stick to ads

Actually, while I've developed an anti-Google stance, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled together, and how they're delivering an elegant, well-executed experience. I have tremendous respect for what they are announcing today. It really puts a spotlight on how Apple is falling behind on several fronts. Apple does have the huge advantage of in-house development of high-performance hardware that is not accessible to competitors, but that same competition is delivering in ways that are truly meaningful to end users.

The advantages that Apple brings to the marketplace is greatly blurred and subdued after today.

Like? Can you be more specific? I watched the whole keynote and saw nothing of relevance.

All I saw was a panic attack after Apple starting to open Siri to devs, a lower quality homekit competitor so Android doesn't get left for dead, a phone with pretty standard/medium hardware specifications (SoC, etc.) at iPhone 7/Galaxy prices and an worse, second grade, design (that, down to the wallpaper, is a pathetic attempt of a "me too" copy of it) and that's it.

Oh, I also saw the heads of the few users that bought Google's previous OnHub router explode.

There's nothing there that you can't do better on iOS. Nothing. Heck, you better believe that Google will have more iOS users using their most uptodate Apps (as far as latest API levels) than Android users, too.

But hey, still talking about the headphone jack. Let's revise this next year.
    I have to agree on this one. Google is blatantly and flagrantly copying Apple. The Google experience in being an "elegant and well-developed" one should be. It is identically cloned from what Apple is doing. 

I don't see the Pixel competing with iPhone. It is more like an opportunistic ability to take business from Samsung and the Note 7. 

Apple has moved into the dominant position with respect to hardware and the SoC is the key. Putting on a USB-C port and additional RAM is nice, but the 7+ comes with 3 GB of its own. And while I know the large screen iPad Pro can handle the faster USB interface, I don't know about the newer iPhones. I doubt that it matters. Most people who buy Android phones do so on the basis of cost, not features. 

Google will fail once again. The A11 will be out in less than a year. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 95
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Whose going to pay $649 for an Android "phone?"
    Samsung was selling a ton (2.5 M in just weeks) of $850 Notes until that breakout blew up in their face.  And they've sold millions of Galaxies, although mostly at discount to retail.  

And, oh, it's "who's"....fwiw
  • Reply 38 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    I noticed they took seveal cheap shots at Apple during this keynote. When is the last time Apple did that? Last time I can remember is when they announced the iPad mini. I don't like it. Not classy at all.

Agreed. I was impressed when Apple did _not_ take advantage of Samsung's battery situation during their keynote, and I was hoping Google had the same level of class, but they failed on this, sadly. Other than that, this product announcement was very well done and professional. They've truly matured, but it shows just how far Apple was ahead of the rest on the marketplace, and now the rest have caught up. Apple better keep going ...
    Have the rest actually caught up?

I see the Google Pixel as decidedly status quo, good enough for the market, great for Google, but no breakthrough product or disruption. Their imaging pipeline is outstanding, but in a world where even Google is pushing computational photography to improve the Pixel, why stop at a single lens? If anything, Google is catching up with Apple, a bit anyway, with their Pixel business model being more of a closed ecosystem, relative to the Android OS market, giving more control over updates than the OEM's have. That said, Google will make some money on this and grow it into a decent business, but likely at the expense of the OEM's.

The rest of the hardware isn't really competing all that much with Apple as much as with Amazon; good luck with that.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 39 of 95
    sog35 said:

Actually, while I've developed an anti-Google stance, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled together, and how they're delivering an elegant, well-executed experience. I have tremendous respect for what they are announcing today. It really puts a spotlight on how Apple is falling behind on several fronts. Apple does have the huge advantage of in-house development of high-performance hardware that is not accessible to competitors, but that same competition is delivering in ways that are truly meaningful to end users.

The advantages that Apple brings to the marketplace is greatly blurred and subdued after today.

Please tell me what fronts Apple are falling behind on?
    calinolamacguy
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Seriously guys, is it not possible to be a follower of one company without trash-talking everyone else?

I am Google fan that stumbled into this site to see what the other side was thinking about the announcement, but you have been totally blinded by the distortion field...

Who will pay $649 for an Android phone? Lots and lots of people.

Cheap plastic imitation of an iPhone? How about aluminum unibody, best mobile camera, QHD amoled screen

Value for money? Free life time cloud storage of all your photos and videos in original format (4K). How much is that iCloud plan?

Apple is not the only one that can create premium products, and Samsung have proven that a premium Android device is possible. Hopefully Google can, by controlling both the software and hardware, create the best Android experience possible.

gatorguyfastbaggersingularity