Google debuts Pixel 'Phone by Google,' with heavy emphasis on photography

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    minglok50 said:
    Please tell me what fronts Apple are falling behind on?
    - Camera. The iPhone 7+ is barely catching up.
    - Battery life. The iPhone 7 came dead last (by far) in tests performed by the UK magazine Which!
    - Compatibility: the Lightning connector was great when the iPhone 5 came out, but now using USB Type C would make a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my iPhone for an Android phone. I find Android terribly unpleasant and cumbersome to use, and I don't trust it to protect my data. Still, I wish Apple put less focus on thinness and more on battery life. And if Samsung can procure a better, more sensitive camera, why can't they. The iPhone should have the best of everything.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    It's an iPhone without a home button? Why didn't they remove the chin? ...?
    Rayz2016 said:
    How is this design not a complete ripoff of the iPhone???
    They put the button on the back. 

A bit bit like coming up with a new SciFi series and calling it 'Space Trek'. 
    Battlestar Galapagos!
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 43 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Seriously guys, is it not possible to be a follower of one company without trash-talking everyone else?

I am Google fan that stumbled into this site to see what the other side was thinking about the announcement, but you have been totally blinded by the distortion field...

Who will pay $649 for an Android phone? Lots and lots of people.

Cheap plastic imitation of an iPhone? How about aluminum unibody, best mobile camera, QHD amoled screen

Value for money? Free life time cloud storage of all your photos and videos in original format (4K). How much is that iCloud plan?

Apple is not the only one that can create premium products, and Samsung have proven that a premium Android device is possible. Hopefully Google can, by controlling both the software and hardware, create the best Android experience possible.

Uhm, yeah, we all know people are paying up to and beyond $649 for an Android phones they have been doing that for awhile especially with Samsung. As for the trash talking, every site has that, regrettably, but your retort seems thin on the actual benefits of the Google Pixel versus the other Premium OEM builders. Certainly, you might have left the "totally blinded by the distortion field" at the door, especially as it is actually known as the "RDF; Reality Distortion Field", which was specific to the Steve Jobs era, not to the Apple of today.

Thanks for playing.
    calinolamacguyronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 95
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    Ridiculous. They even copied the rumored blue color for the iPhone7

Pathetic company. I watched some of the 'event' and it played like a parody of an Apple event. So sad and pathetic. They should stick to ads

Actually, while I've developed an anti-Google stance, I'm extremely impressed by what they've pulled together, and how they're delivering an elegant, well-executed experience. I have tremendous respect for what they are announcing today. It really puts a spotlight on how Apple is falling behind on several fronts. Apple does have the huge advantage of in-house development of high-performance hardware that is not accessible to competitors, but that same competition is delivering in ways that are truly meaningful to end users.

The advantages that Apple brings to the marketplace is greatly blurred and subdued after today.

I watched this keynote live, and your whole post is bullshit. Yes, it was well executed, in the same way that heavily aping Apple's keynote style is "well executed". They LITERALLY used the same words and memes, like "intersection of hardware and software", and "It should just work", and "design an end to end experience", shit that Apple has been saying for decades and is in their DNA, and most which goes AGAINST Google's philosophies.

So now, suddenly, Apple's advantages are "subdued" because of this me-too, copycat presentation which was trying so, so hard to be an iPhone keynote? This phone isn't even water resistant, and has antenna lines on the back, so at best they're catching up with the design of the 6 from 2 years ago. The advantages of Apple's retail stores, much healthier ecosystem, massive mindshare, experience with converging HW/SW, build quality, user loyalty, integration between all their platforms (OSX/iOS), massive economies of scale, unmatched SoC design (which this phone won't touch with its processor) is suddenly non-existent? Gotcha. Amazing that this kind of blatant "iPhone running Android" earns "tremendous respect" from you, and makes you bash Apple, even while Apple created the entire template that Google is now mimicking. This phone isn't even a dollar cheaper, and has nowhere near the equity that an iPhone has. Good luck with that. 

edited October 2016 caliroundaboutnownolamacguybrucemcration alronnmagman1979watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 45 of 95
    The Pixel is to the Nexus what the post 2007 android phone from Google was to the pre-2007 android phone. They are both visceral attempts to copycat the prevailing iPhone of the day.
    caliwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 46 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member

minglok50 said:
    Please tell me what fronts Apple are falling behind on?
    - Camera. The iPhone 7+ is barely catching up.
    - Battery life. The iPhone 7 came dead last (by far) in tests performed by the UK magazine Which!
    - Compatibility: the Lightning connector was great when the iPhone 5 came out, but now using USB Type C would make a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my iPhone for an Android phone. I find Android terribly unpleasant and cumbersome to use, and I don't trust it to protect my data. Still, I wish Apple put less focus on thinness and more on battery life. And if Samsung can procure a better, more sensitive camera, why can't they. The iPhone should have the best of everything.
    Camera; the iPhone 7 Plus is a new paradigm, even amongst the few Android OS smartphones that have multiple lens. It's the future, not the past, and a necessity to keeping the iPhone thin, which people are quite fond of. Betcha that all premium Android OS camera systems will follow this in the next two years.

Battery life. Yeah, dead last for the smartphone with the smallest battery, and the smallest form factor of Apple's current release; who would have thunk. 

Apple has shipped a billion iPhones, most of which use the Lightning connector that is smaller, and more elegant for mobile than USB Type C, so no, it doesn't make more sense  for Apple to arbitrarily change.

Apple focuses on thin, and power efficiency; Apple isn't going to add a bigger battery battery capacity to the form factor unless it can find more space internally, which cleverly enough, it did for the iPhones 7.

You can have wider field of view, Samsung's solution, with a larger imager, for more or less the same thickness as a narrower field of view with a with a smaller imager. In Apples case, the tradeoff was thin over a larger imager stack, and for the Plus, even a smaller imager for the 2x module. Throw in resolution on top of that; It's all just tradeoff. 

I'd wait for the results of DxOMark's test suite before I would make your claim about the iPhone 7 Plus

edited October 2016 minglok50calinolamacguyration alronnmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 95
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Wow I have to hand it to Google, their first time making a phone and they got to a design that took Apple about ten years to evolve.
    tmaysteveh
  • Reply 48 of 95
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    slurpy said:
    I watched this keynote live, 

Why?
    calianantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 95
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Rayz2016 said:
    They put the button on the back. 

A bit bit like coming up with a new SciFi series and calling it 'Space Trek'. 
    Yes so wannabes can put an Apple logo over it and say they have a new iPhone... All while paying $1 more than a real iPhone costs.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 95
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Seriously guys, is it not possible to be a follower of one company without trash-talking everyone else?

I am Google fan that stumbled into this site to see what the other side was thinking about the announcement, but you have been totally blinded by the distortion field...

Who will pay $649 for an Android phone? Lots and lots of people.

Cheap plastic imitation of an iPhone? How about aluminum unibody, best mobile camera, QHD amoled screen

Value for money? Free life time cloud storage of all your photos and videos in original format (4K). How much is that iCloud plan?

Apple is not the only one that can create premium products, and Samsung have proven that a premium Android device is possible. Hopefully Google can, by controlling both the software and hardware, create the best Android experience possible.

Stick to your iPhone knockoffs then.

damn right we'll trash talk. We're trash talking the same damn company who stole from and backstabbed Apple and copied every one of their moves while  bashing Apple and stealing private costumer data.

you sure don't seem to have a problem with Google bashing Apple on stage today do you?
    magman1979watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 51 of 95
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn'...
    When a company says/announces something, that is not called "rumor". 

cali
  • Reply 52 of 95
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought the whole point of the Alphabet reorganisation was for Google to focus on Google-y things, and farm these little experiments off into Project-X type labs?
    badmonk
  • Reply 53 of 95
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    williamh said:
    I got my iPhone 7 for $0 down and $0/month. 
    What deal is that pray tell?
    cali
  • Reply 54 of 95
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Google's Quick Switch Adapter is something that Apple should have. It is a real bitch trying to copy all the data and contacts from an Android to an iPhone. I know because I recently had to figure out how do it for my friend who decided to switch to iPhone when her Samsung battery started losing its ability to charge. If it was easy to do Apple would probably get a lot more switchers.
    edited October 2016 caliwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 55 of 95

I noticed they took seveal cheap shots at Apple during this keynote. When is the last time Apple did that? Last time I can remember is when they announced the iPad mini. I don't like it. Not classy at all.

Agreed. I was impressed when Apple did _not_ take advantage of Samsung's battery situation during their keynote
    But this fact tells more about your wrong perception of the company, rather than about Apple, though...

You made up a strawman "Apple" company that should behaves like a moron...and when your prediction failed, you got impressed... by the real company. Wow...
  • Reply 56 of 95
    supadav03 said:
    Not understanding all the  venom. I like what Google showed. I would t switch from my iPhone but it's nice to see someone besides Samsung making moves. I do like the blue color a lot. If I ever did go android it would be this or the Xperia.
    make your move, then! Why waiting?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 57 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn'...
    When a company says/announces something, that is not called "rumor". 

Correct. Did Apple announce (or even discuss) an upcoming blue iPhone?  I think not. It's a rumor started by some anonymous far-East source IIRC. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 58 of 95
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If anyone pays that price for these phones than I would give God credit for producing idiots in mix of most smarter people. If you take current $250 32GB Nexus 5X vs $650 32gb pixel and see what that whooping extra $400 buys you ? You be the judge.

Pricing starts at $649 for the smaller 5-inch Pixel with 32GB of storage, That number scales up to $749 with 128GB of onboard storage, $769 for the larger Pixel XL with 32GB, or $869 for the XL with 128GB.

edited October 2016 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 95
    I am an Apple fan, all Apple products and have a 7 + 128g. I just ordered Pixel XL 128g in white (very silver). I also have  aNexus 6P. I am not loyal to one company as they are not loyal to me. I am a technology fan and constantly switch between my phones. My 7 + has not met my expectations as an Apple product as some of the features worked better on my 6S plus (maybe iOS 10 is the reason). Two failures I see are that that the mail app the text (not all) is very tiny to read and when I swipe left to open camera the camera either freezes or is very dark and unusable. Everyone here complaining does not realize that this is the best for all. Competition is good for the consumer as will reduce the prices and causes companies to make greater products. Also, for the Google haters think about this. What would happen if Google removed all of their apps from the App Store? Think that may cause a problem for some? I know a lot of people rely on those apps. Google and Apple need to work together they both need each other.  
  • Reply 60 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    Google Home looks like a $3.99 Glade Air Freshener 
    And what does it smell like?