Google reveals Chromecast Ultra, Google WiFi, Daydream View VR; details Google Home

Posted:
in General Discussion
Besides just the Google Pixel smartphone family, the smartphone giant today also released the 4K Chromecast Ultra, the Daydream View VR headset, the Google Home voice-activated personal assistant, and Google WiFi networking hardware.

Chromecast Ultra

The Chromecast Ultra is the latest incarnation of the Chromecast video streaming device. While 4K Google Play content will be added to the device later, at launch, it will be able to stream Netflix, Vudu, and YouTube 4K libraries.

Google has added an Ethernet port to the power adapter, supplementing the Wi-Fi also found on the older version. Video allegedly loads 1.8 times faster on the new Chromecast Ultra, than on the original Chromecast.

The Chromecast Ultra will sell alongside the original Chromecast, and will retail for $69 in the U.S in November.

Google WiFi

The Google WiFi is specific to Google, rather than the licensed approach it took with the OnHub in 2015. The new router is 802.11AC, with AC1200 speeds, implementing 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks in an intelligent fashion, according to Google.

Multiple Google WiFi devices are designed to auto-configure in a network with user intervention possible through an app, similar to what the OnHub has implemented. It is not clear if there will be an iOS app at this point, but the similar Google-backed OnHub does have a configuration app on the App Store.

Google notes a pair of Gigabit Ethernet ports adorn the device, with one for WAN connections, and the other for LAN connectivity.

A single Google WiFi is $129, with a bundle of three retailing for $299. Pre-orders start in November, with the first shipments occurring in December.

Google Home

Google home originally debuted at the 2016 I/O conference, with most of its features demonstrated there. What was not revealed at the time was pricing and a release date.

The hardware itself is a small speaker, with swappable exterior shells that can be chosen to match a home's decor. Home is also designed with multi-room support, allowing users to own multiple hardware units and place them throughout their house, with the units responding intelligently based on voice quality and volume.

Google Home pre-orders have begun, with the unit retailing for $129. Preorders will ship on Nov. 4.

Daydream View VR

The Daydream View VR headset is similar to the Samsung Galaxy VR, and operates in conjunction with the Google Pixel phone. The headset wlll take the Pixel phone (and other compatible phones, to be announced later), and utilize the Daydream platform introduced on the phone for a consumer-friendly VR solution.

The fabric-clad headset appears designed for the mainstream consumer, more than the game enthusiast or tech aficionado. Google has embedded NFC technology into the headset to tell the phone to switch to Daydream, and has also implemented other user-friendly technologies like auto-screen positioning in software rather than by user manipulation.

The Daydream View VR includes a handheld controller with trackpad and two menu buttons, and is the primary method of interacting with the headset, beyond the more rudimentary motion sensing in a smartphone versus a dedicated VR setup like the Oculus Rift.

Other manufacturers will make Daydream-compatible headsets in the coming months. It is not clear if Google plans on migrating the technology to iOS, like it has with Cardboard.

The headset weighs 220 grams, and comes clad in slate fabric at launch. Two additional colors, snow and crimson, will be available in late 2016.

The Daydream View VR headset retails for $79, and will go on sale in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    sog35 said:
    bunch of toys that won't impact the market in any significant way

just more Google junk to spy on you.
    The Chromecast is actually one of the most popular streaming devices, not the least because you can get one for $30-35.
    macguisingularity
  • Reply 2 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Besides just the Google Pixel smartphone family, the smartphone giant today also released the 4K Chromecast Ultra ...
    Everything Google does is a Trojan Horse.
    Think about it.
    pscooter63anton zuykovapplesauce007jbdragonSpamSandwichlollivercaliwatto_cobrabigapplepieguy
  • Reply 3 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Having used AirPort Extremes for years, I believe Apple needs a more complete wifi solution. My bedroom and kitchen need better reception. Surely Apple above all companies could sell an add-on solution for AirPort that resembles 3 plugs (think slimmed down last gen AirPort Express) in a retail box for perhaps $169 or smtn. Even if it required you own an Extreme. Also, the Extreme has become extremely expensive at €219 in Europe. And I much prefer the design of the last gen Express over the current design and the current Extreme over its previous incarnation.

Something very simple and intuitive with one function and some kind of auto-joining to an Extreme network.
    edited October 2016 lolliveranantksundaramcali
  • Reply 4 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Don't forget the Google Colonoscope!
    jbdragonlolliveranantksundaramcaliwatto_cobrafrantisekbigapplepieguy
  • Reply 5 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    sog35 said:

Google VR - this is actually the only device that is 'safe'
    Except its useless without pairing with an unsafe smartphone or app.
    jbdragonlollivercaliwatto_cobrabigapplepieguyjony0
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    sog35 said:
    Google Wifi - great, now Google can see every single website I visit, every single wifi call I make, every single movie I watch......

Google Chromecast - great now Google can see every single streaming video i watch, music video, song......

Google Home - great. Now google can listen to me all day long 24 hours a day. Yes there is a mute button, but who knows

Use your brain people. Google makes 99% of their profits from ads. These devices are simply spy devices to collect as much data on you as possible....in your home. creapy as hell. I don't want GoogleBrain listening to my conversations 24 hours a day. And if I have to remember to mute the device, that's ridiculous. 
    How far do you take this policy? Do you never use Facebook or Twitter? Do you only use DuckDuckGo for searches? Do you always browse the web in an incognito mode? Do you never create a permanent account with an online store?

Because I can guarantee that if you said "no" to any of those questions, you've had your habits tracked by many parties. It's not the end of the world unless you're just that committed to privacy.

And no, the Google Home won't be recording everything you say 24/7, unless perhaps the NSA decides to tamper with your device. It's no worse than an Amazon Echo from what we know.

pte applemacguisingularitygatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    The VR stuff seems intriguing, but it looks like it is almost an afterthought to sell more phones. Maybe a standalone consumer product like this could sell?

I'm still unsure of the Home/Echo products. I have Siri on my wrist at home all the time, and it just wouldn't occur to me to have her change the music that's on, or turn lights on or off, or order a pizza. Maybe if I could tell her to keep kids off my lawn...
    lollivercalibig
  • Reply 8 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Google Wifi - great, now Google can see every single website I visit, every single wifi call I make, every single movie I watch......

Google Chromecast - great now Google can see every single streaming video i watch, music video, song......

Google Home - great. Now google can listen to me all day long 24 hours a day. Yes there is a mute button, but who knows

Use your brain people. Google makes 99% of their profits from ads. These devices are simply spy devices to collect as much data on you as possible....in your home. creapy as hell. I don't want GoogleBrain listening to my conversations 24 hours a day. And if I have to remember to mute the device, that's ridiculous. 
    How far do you take this policy? Do you never use Facebook or Twitter? Do you only use DuckDuckGo for searches? Do you always browse the web in an incognito mode? Do you never create a permanent account with an online store?

Because I can guarantee that if you said "no" to any of those questions, you've had your habits tracked by many parties. It's not the end of the world unless you're just that committed to privacy.

And no, the Google Home won't be recording everything you say 24/7, unless perhaps the NSA decides to tamper with your device. It's no worse than an Amazon Echo from what we know.

I don't do facebook or twitter.  I rarely use Google. Yes Amazon knows my buying habits, but I don't really care. So I buy water filters and soap every 6 months, big deal.

What I care about is my personal photo's and video's being scanned and analyized. 
    What I care about is my conversations at home being recorded (I don't have an Echo either)

Bottom line is Google makes 99% of their money from ads.
    So does Facebook, Twitter, ect. That's why I stay away from those companies as much as I can.

Sog, stop using apostrophes for plurals. It's photos and videos, and while I'm at it, MacBook Pros.
    tokyojimunolamacguysilversquonk
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Hats off to the VR headset designers for avoiding the usual plastic box on the face. But it's still a box on the face.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    AR goggles today reminds me of:
      ... MP3 players in 1999
       ... smartphones in 2005

i.e., well-intentioned but clunky commercial prototypes
    that didn't survive when a sleeker alternative (from Apple) came along.
    lolliveranantksundaramcaliwatto_cobrapatchythepiratebig
  • Reply 11 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    This is how absolutely CLUELESS the tech media is:

Google's Daydream View is the VR headset for everyone else

This might be the first VR gadget that ever oozed style.

Thats the headline. Seriously. Oozed style? And here is the photo they included:

That oozes style? 

Why can't we have tech media that thinks like NORMAL PEOPLE. What NORMAL PEOPLE WANT?

The whole tech media is a mass of horrors. If someone does a site/blog that has the normal person's view of tech it would be a huge success
    Looks like that guy is wearing a carpet sample or a blackboard eraser on his head.
    slprescottlolliveranantksundaramRayz2016watto_cobrabigapplepieguyjony0
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Now we just have to wait for WWDC in June for Apple to not announce their own VR headset. Again.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    sog35 said:

Thats the headline. Seriously. Oozed style? And here is the photo they included:

That oozes style? 

Why can't we have tech media that thinks like NORMAL PEOPLE. What NORMAL PEOPLE WANT?

The whole tech media is a mass of horrors. If someone does a site/blog that has the normal person's view of tech it would be a huge success
    Looks like a diving mask to me. I bet it rests the weight of the phone on your nose. Nothing says comfortable like a glass and metal smartphone sitting on the bridge of your nose. Diving masks work because they are neutrally buoyant in water. Now take a look at the Playstation VR which puts its weight over your entire forehead. It's really comfortable.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    grangerfx said:
    Now we just have to wait for WWDC in June for Apple to not announce their own VR headset. Again.
    I still don't understand why anyone would want to wear these stupid headsets... unless they live in their mom's basement...

This seems it will be as popular as Google Glass with the developer support approaching game development on GoogleTV.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    grangerfx said:
    sog35 said:

That oozes style? 

Looks like a diving mask to me. I bet it rests the weight of the phone on your nose. Nothing says comfortable like a glass and metal smartphone sitting on the bridge of your nose. Diving masks work because they are neutrally buoyant in water. Now take a look at the Playstation VR which puts its weight over your entire forehead. It's really comfortable.
    Maybe, but it's really, REALLY ugly. 
    calibig
  • Reply 16 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    jkichline said:
    grangerfx said:
    I still don't understand why anyone would want to wear these stupid headsets... unless they live in their mom's basement...

This seems it will be as popular as Google Glass with the developer support approaching game development on GoogleTV.
    I don't think most people care what they look like when wearing this, since they are immersed in...well...another reality. And they won't see others there wearing them.

gatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 44
    jkichline said:
    grangerfx said:

No one I've ever met wants to wear this junk. Sometimes the sheeplike behavior in Silicon Valley causes them to all chase each others tails regardless of the stupidity of doing that. It leads to nothing but dead ends.
    edited October 2016 anantksundaramcalipatchythepiratebig
  • Reply 18 of 44
    K2K2 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Actually the Daydream looks comfortable. I have a VR headset which I can slide my iPhone 6s into, it is not very nice. The Daydream (nice name) looks like it can be worn for a while. However I am sure Apple are working on a better version.

The thing that annoys me most is how slow Apple is with the Apple TV and 4K. Pretty much the last streamer that won't support it and I don't think Apple are in any hurry to offer 4K. For Pete's sake how long did it take until Apple offered 1080 resolution? This I wish they would step up on. 
    cali
  • Reply 19 of 44
    K2 said:
    Actually the Daydream looks comfortable. I have a VR headset which I can slide my iPhone 6s into, it is not very nice. The Daydream (nice name) looks like it can be worn for a while. However I am sure Apple are working on a better version.

The thing that annoys me most is how slow Apple is with the Apple TV and 4K. Pretty much the last streamer that won't support it and I don't think Apple are in any hurry to offer 4K. For Pete's sake how long did it take until Apple offered 1080 resolution? This I wish they would step up on. 
    Apple has adopted a "wait and see" approach in some respects. They see a trend, wait for it to flame out or accelerate, then critically evaluate what it's doing wrong or poorly, then they introduce their solution. Strategically, they have a smarter approach.
    edited October 2016 roundaboutnowcaliwatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 20 of 44
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    K2 said:

Apple has adopted a "wait and see" approach in some respects. They see a trend, wait for it to flame out or accelerate, then critically evaluate what it's doing wrong or poorly, then they introduce their solution. Strategically, they have a smarter approach.

Maybe that strategy makes sense for VR. But I don't see any reason why a $150-$200 Apple TV do not support 4K and HDR.
    cali