Google debuts Pixel 'Phone by Google,' with heavy emphasis on photography

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

supadav03 said:
    Not understanding all the  venom. I like what Google showed. I would t switch from my iPhone but it's nice to see someone besides Samsung making moves. I do like the blue color a lot. If I ever did go android it would be this or the Xperia.
    I've tried Android before and it's not as well thought out, nor is it as well integrated with the apps.
    calichia
  • Reply 62 of 95
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    minglok50 said:
    Please tell me what fronts Apple are falling behind on?
    - Camera. The iPhone 7+ is barely catching up.
    - Battery life. The iPhone 7 came dead last (by far) in tests performed by the UK magazine Which!
    - Compatibility: the Lightning connector was great when the iPhone 5 came out, but now using USB Type C would make a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my iPhone for an Android phone. I find Android terribly unpleasant and cumbersome to use, and I don't trust it to protect my data. Still, I wish Apple put less focus on thinness and more on battery life. And if Samsung can procure a better, more sensitive camera, why can't they. The iPhone should have the best of everything.
    this is nonsense. the iPhone camera isn't just barely catching up. the battery test you cite puts the non-plus iPhone against bigger phones w/ bigger batteries. the lightning connector predates USB-C and is smaller & imo better...most people have no specific need for USB-C so it offers no value in itself.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichronncalimagman1979watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 63 of 95
    pdq3pdq3 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery. In design, and in business models. If everything were hunky-dory in the Android universe, Google wouldn't be trying to steal profits from it's (mostly) money-losing OEMs.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 95
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I love how this phone is literally everything that Google (and its OEMs) shat on Apple for since 2007, yet that makes it awesome. 

Ports?
    Removable battery?
    SD slot?
    Flash?

This is literally a remixed iPhone running Android. Google finally said "fuck it", and released an iPhone with it's logo on it. And it wants to pretend that the concept is somehow unheard of ("INTERSECTION OF HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE! END TO END CONTROL! IT SHOULD JUST WORK!"). At least come up with your own lines, guys. And stop talking about design as if you give a fuck about it, beyond attracting sales. You only need to look at what Android evolved from and the ass-ugly hardware it ran on to understand if design was ever a priority for Google. They truly believe this kind of cloning will lead them to clone the trucks of money that Apple brings in, but unfortunately for them, I don't think it's that easy. You just need to walk into any packed Apple Store to understand that. 
    ration alronncalinolamacguymagman1979watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 65 of 95
    sog35 said:
    I am an Apple fan, all Apple products and have a 7 + 128g. I just ordered Pixel XL 128g in white (very silver). I also have  aNexus 6P. I am not loyal to one company as they are not loyal to me. I am a technology fan and constantly switch between my phones. My 7 + has not met my expectations as an Apple product as some of the features worked better on my 6S plus (maybe iOS 10 is the reason). Two failures I see are that that the mail app the text (not all) is very tiny to read and when I swipe left to open camera the camera either freezes or is very dark and unusable. Everyone here complaining does not realize that this is the best for all. Competition is good for the consumer as will reduce the prices and causes companies to make greater products. Also, for the Google haters think about this. What would happen if Google removed all of their apps from the App Store? Think that may cause a problem for some? I know a lot of people rely on those apps. Google and Apple need to work together they both need each other.  
    LOLLOLOOLOOLLOOOLOOOLOLOLLLOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOOOOLOLLOLLL!

Did. not .read.
    Don't worry Soggy mommy (oops Santa) will buy you a nice shiny iPhone for Xmas.
    singularity
  • Reply 66 of 95
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    juanguapo said:
    iPhone* by Google

*There, fixed that for ya.
    Even down to having a ocean wave wallpaper. I mean come on. Sad. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 95
    So, more expensive than an iPhone 7 - is this what is known as the "Google Tax"?
    ration alcalidavenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 95
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I've been watching and even participating in Android specific forums daily for the last two weeks. Android fans went bat sh!t crazy when carriers mistakenly leaked images, specs and (very late) pricing for the Pixel line. They couldn't believe the pricing and how close to the iPhone these phones are. They were angrily vowing to not buy the phones and predicting doom of the line. Of course lots of Apple/iPhone fans bemoan every new iPhone and vow to skip that version. Then many will quickly report that they changed their minds and are proud owners of the latest hardware.

I really can't understand the pricing and the almost anti-Android specs that Google is going with. Samsung screwed up with the Note 7s exploding batteries, but I can't see many Android fans eschewing the N7 for this. Hell, the upcoming LG V20 (another upcoming Android phone that is be dumped on) has a shot given this unveiling.

caliwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 69 of 95
    jordanjones3jordanjones3 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    juanguapo said:
    iPhone* by Google

But this design is based off of the htc M series that was debuted in 2013 with the M7 the following year apple introduced the current iPhone (6) design to many people at the time saying they coppied htc. HtC in this case is continuing there own design language that apple narrowed 
  • Reply 70 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn'...
    When a company says/announces something, that is not called "rumor". 

Correct. Did Apple announce (or even discuss) an upcoming blue iPhone?  I think not. It's a rumor started by some anonymous far-East source IIRC. 
    And Google was so desperate they made a blue phone based purely on a rumor.
    Same thing happenned when Samsung heard rumors of the iWatch and rushed out their pathetic Gear Watch.
    Same thing happenned when Huwei heard a rumor of a dual camera iPhone and rushed out their pathetic version.
    Could be that the rumor of a blue iPhone was actually this phone to begin with. 
    singularity
  • Reply 71 of 95
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    juanguapo said:
    iPhone* by Google

But this design is based off of the htc M series that was debuted in 2013 with the M7 the following year apple introduced the current iPhone (6) design to many people at the time saying they coppied htc. HtC in this case is continuing there own design language that apple narrowed 

edited October 2016 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 95
    Anyone else in here shocked by this?..
    Next year they will be coming out with an all glass phone, with waterproofing.
    Samsung and google..... coping iphones since 2007.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 95
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Why are they trying to copy Apple with having a focus on pictures? Look at that TINY camera. The MP may be up there, but it's trying to go through that tiny lens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 95
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Pixel - What the iPhone would ACTUALLY look like w/o Steve Jobs' influence.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 95
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    The fast charging is an awesome feature. The iPhone's is embarrassing considering all the courage it took to remove the headphone jack and have the charging port blocked every time you want to use it to listen to music
    singularity
  • Reply 76 of 95
    shev said:
    The fast charging is an awesome feature. The iPhone's is embarrassing considering all the courage it took to remove the headphone jack and have the charging port blocked every time you want to use it to listen to music
    Oh, the fast charging that affects your battery in the long term. That fast charging.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 95
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn'...
    When a company says/announces something, that is not called "rumor". 

Correct. Did Apple announce (or even discuss) an upcoming blue iPhone?  I think not. It's a rumor started by some anonymous far-East source IIRC. 
    And Google was so desperate they made a blue phone based purely on a rumor.
    Same thing happenned when Samsung heard rumors of the iWatch and rushed out their pathetic Gear Watch.
    Same thing happenned when Huwei heard a rumor of a dual camera iPhone and rushed out their pathetic version.
    Could be that the rumor of a blue iPhone was actually this phone to begin with. 

Could be, except it's not really the same "Midnight Blue" that the iPhone was going to be. All the versions of it produced by anyone with a dodgy copy of Photoshop showed a much darker blue, as opposed to this quite bright blue. (It's not a bad colour, but I don't want it on my phone. And I wouldn't switch to another platform just because of a colour, anyway.)

I must say, while it has many of the design elements of the iPhone, the Pixel actually looks ugly. It still has the bezels everyone whines about, but without having a button there, it just doesn't look right. As for the pundits I've heard saying putting the fingerprint scanner/home button on the back is somehow "more natural", I don't necessarily want to have my finger resting on it all the time. I might set something off accidentally.

As for:

The phone comes in three colors, which Google has dubbed "quite black," "really blue," and "very silver."

Can't wait for "Such Gold" and "So Rose Gold" to round out the line up.

• Reply 78 of 95
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    anome said:
     As for the pundits I've heard saying putting the fingerprint scanner/home button on the back is somehow "more natural", I don't necessarily want to have my finger resting on it all the time. I might set something off accidentally.
    This putting the word "fingering" on a whole different level. Joking aside, I have a feeling the phone design team still has a long way to learn what does it mean by "aesthetically and pleasantly appealing", because to be honest when I am looking at the picture, what I've got is "appalling".
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 79 of 95
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    shev said:
    Oh, the fast charging that affects your battery in the long term. That fast charging.
    Using your phone everyday affects your battery in the long term. My wife's 6 is basically running on empty now, so don't kid yourself like an iPhone can last 5 years charging at a snail's pace
  • Reply 80 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I am an Apple fan, all Apple products and have a 7 + 128g
    Here we go.
    Competition is good for the consumer
    So maybe Google should compete instead of stealing everything they put out.
    What would happen if Google removed all of their apps from the App Store?
    Everyone would cheer, Google would go out of business in a few years, and no one would care.
    anantksundaramcalimagman1979watto_cobrachia