Google reveals Chromecast Ultra, Google WiFi, Daydream View VR; details Google Home

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Apple is waiting and seeing. So Google had to go ahead and copy Samsung and Amazon. 

If i were either, I would be pissed that Android's creator and custodian wants to compete with their hardware. 
    caliRayz2016watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 22 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    This is how absolutely CLUELESS the tech media is:

Google's Daydream View is the VR headset for everyone else

This might be the first VR gadget that ever oozed style.

Thats the headline. Seriously. Oozed style? And here is the photo they included:

That oozes style? 

Why can't we have tech media that thinks like NORMAL PEOPLE. What NORMAL PEOPLE WANT?

The whole tech media is a mass of horrors. If someone does a site/blog that has the normal person's view of tech it would be a huge success
    It oozed all the style right out of it. 
    big
  • Reply 23 of 44
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    The problem with buying into the Googosphere is that, unlike Apple, they have attention deficit syndrome.  How long with they be interested in these products, support them, improve upon them, etc.

Will these be like GoogleTV, Glass, etc
    caliwatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 24 of 44
    danvm said:
    K2 said:
    Actually the Daydream looks comfortable. I have a VR headset which I can slide my iPhone 6s into, it is not very nice. The Daydream (nice name) looks like it can be worn for a while. However I am sure Apple are working on a better version.

The thing that annoys me most is how slow Apple is with the Apple TV and 4K. Pretty much the last streamer that won't support it and I don't think Apple are in any hurry to offer 4K. For Pete's sake how long did it take until Apple offered 1080 resolution? This I wish they would step up on. 
    Apple has adopted a "wait and see" approach in some respects. They see a trend, wait for it to flame out or accelerate, then critically evaluate what it's doing wrong or poorly, then they introduce their solution. Strategically, they have a smarter approach.

Maybe that strategy makes sense for VR. But I don't see any reason why a $150-$200 Apple TV do not support 4K and HDR.
    4K set adoption hasn't yet reached a critical mass.
    calibig
  • Reply 25 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    First you have to FIND some NORMAL people. You won't find them HERE. You will find individuals who think THEY are the sole arbiter of EVERYthing.

VR is still in early days yet. Apple is more interested in AR. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out. 3D was over before it ever got off the ground. VR may become a real thing. Making hardware seem less like techie-nerdgasm gear is a step in the right direction.

People can rage against the machine or tilt at windmills as they choose, all they want. It's not even a ripple in a very small point. Fortunately, progress can and will still be made.

I'm hoping that Apple eventually brings out their version of a standalone Echo/Google Home. The utility is awesome not to mention the convenience. Being untethered is nice. Apple will probably keep Siri in restraints, tied to the Apple TV. I hope I'm wrong.

Google is doing some really interesting stuff. Sure they now a lot about you. A lot of companies do. My only concern is how invasive marketing may be with an Echo. At least until Skynet or Samaritan finally go live. Though we may believe we think different, 99.8% of us are irrelevant. 

To those of you who think you're part of the .2%, launch your Tor browsers, do your Onion routing, watch the skies, and most importantly- don your tinfoil. 'Cause change is a scary thing. 

big
  • Reply 26 of 44
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    cpsro said:
    Don't forget the Google Colonoscope!
    Least popular wearable to date 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 27 of 44
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    VR headcases (and boy are they just that...) will NEVER be mainstream. Will NEVER "ooze" style. Will NEVER "be the next big thing". There is nothing attractive or useful about strapping a screen to your face. I don't care if they made it out of gold and released an Apple Watch-esque video about how its made, It still looks horrible. Tim Cook is smart in dismissing it in favor of AR. That doesn't require a ridiculous headcase, Which doesn't blind you. Which DOES have very useful potential. VR is just a distracting toy for adults. Will never be a tool.
    calibig
  • Reply 28 of 44
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Chromecast is by far the best streaming option out there. but all these other new products, especially their Pixel phone, are just going to accrue huge losses. 
    Chromecast is great, but even that product at $35. cant be making Google any real money.

What are they thinking? The device market is not one they have any chance whatsoever in making a dent in. They have a great gig in taking truck loads of money from advertising, why would they want to get into Apple territory. Territory that is so hard fought that Wall Street and their pundits have kept an Apple obituary going since 1977.  It's not an easy space to be in.

Google needs to focus on Android. No matter who makes these phones, they still run on Android. And until they solve the Android problem, their phones will always be second rate loss leaders.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 29 of 44
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    danvm said:
    K2 said:
    Actually the Daydream looks comfortable. I have a VR headset which I can slide my iPhone 6s into, it is not very nice. The Daydream (nice name) looks like it can be worn for a while. However I am sure Apple are working on a better version.

The thing that annoys me most is how slow Apple is with the Apple TV and 4K. Pretty much the last streamer that won't support it and I don't think Apple are in any hurry to offer 4K. For Pete's sake how long did it take until Apple offered 1080 resolution? This I wish they would step up on. 
    Apple has adopted a "wait and see" approach in some respects. They see a trend, wait for it to flame out or accelerate, then critically evaluate what it's doing wrong or poorly, then they introduce their solution. Strategically, they have a smarter approach.

Maybe that strategy makes sense for VR. But I don't see any reason why a $150-$200 Apple TV do not support 4K and HDR.
    Still, looks like the growth of 4K TV's is very strong.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/05/25/4k-tvs-explode-new-research-shows-massive-sales-surge/

Google CC Ultra, Xbox One S, PS4 and Roku already offer 4K and HDR.  Apple TV lacks both features, even though is only a year old.  Maybe the ATV is upgradable, and Apple releases a firmware that enable 4K and HDR.  But if it isn't, then the ATV will be behind the competition in a very importante feature, image quality. 
  • Reply 30 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sog35 said:
    Google Wifi - great, now Google can see every single website I visit, every single wifi call I make, every single movie I watch......

Google Chromecast - great now Google can see every single streaming video i watch, music video, song......

Google Home - great. Now google can listen to me all day long 24 hours a day. Yes there is a mute button, but who knows

Google VR - this is actually the only device that might 'safe'. But i bet Google is scanning your retina's why you play and observing the dilation of your eyes.

Use your brain people. Google makes 99% of their profits from ads. These devices are simply spy devices to collect as much data on you as possible....in your home. creapy as hell. I don't want GoogleBrain listening to my conversations 24 hours a day. And if I have to remember to mute the device, that's ridiculous. 
    Google Wifi - Just a Me too product aimed at eero wifi.    Would be nice if Apple did something similar, but they're probably busy with real products

Googel Chromecast - Maybe now Apple will get on the move and support 4K content in Apple TV.

Google Home - Still seems behind the Echo/Alexa for home automation.    Why aren't Google Wifi and Google Home more consistent design wise.    Why can't one unit do both things.    Why didn't the ship an optional battery bottom so that it can be moved outdoors for parties.    Google and Amazon aren't smart enough to realize that they should have jointly created the Google Echo.    If

Google VR - why watch TV when I can hang the TV off my head.

Google Pixel - Google has tried creating mid-range phones in the past, maybe they will finally do better by going for the high end on the camera.    I would have been really impressed if it had a 24 bit DAC like the HTC One 10.    We'll hear (eventually) what the weakness are when they it finally does come out.    Unfortunately I still don't believe that Google will get security updates out as quickly as Apple.   It's not a total rip-off of the iPhone design; they left out the camera Hump - give them credit for that.   It may be a good challenge for Apple for next year, iPhone 7S with new design, much better camera for both (regular and plus) and no hump.

• Reply 31 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Apple never uses half baked technologies, instead it implements those when everything is ready and polished…. HEVC (H.265) is not finished yet, it still doesn’t render videos with grain as good as H.264/AVC does. And videos with grain are almost 9/10 of all movies ever shot because it is the side effect of the film itself and only movies shot on digital cameras don’t have grain. So, it means that 4K videos is not yet ready for “everywhere use” at Apple. You can’t see these rendering problems on iPhone screen, but you will notice those in a second on TV. 
    caliwatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 32 of 44
    sog35 said:
    This is how absolutely CLUELESS the tech media is:

Google's Daydream View is the VR headset for everyone else

This might be the first VR gadget that ever oozed style.

Thats the headline. Seriously. Oozed style? And here is the photo they included:

That oozes style? 

Why can't we have tech media that thinks like NORMAL PEOPLE. What NORMAL PEOPLE WANT?

The whole tech media is a mass of horrors. If someone does a site/blog that has the normal person's view of tech it would be a huge success

Is that from The Verge?
    watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 33 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    K2 said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/05/25/4k-tvs-explode-new-research-shows-massive-sales-surge/

Google CC Ultra, Xbox One S, PS4 and Roku already offer 4K and HDR.  Apple TV lacks both features, even though is only a year old.  Maybe the ATV is upgradable, and Apple releases a firmware that enable 4K and HDR.  But if it isn't, then the ATV will be behind the competition in a very importante feature, image quality. 
    Apple should add an A10x chip to Apple TV and make it a competitive gaming device. Heck I bet that chip already exists.

Add Taptic Engine, 3D Touch, M10 processor and TouchID to the Siri remote.

yes it'll cost more but how much will that crappy Xbox S go for?
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 34 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Why don't VR googles use curved screens to reduce there bulk?

• Reply 35 of 44
    sog35 said:
    Google Wifi - great, now Google can see every single website I visit, every single wifi call I make, every single movie I watch......

Google Chromecast - great now Google can see every single streaming video i watch, music video, song......

Google Home - great. Now google can listen to me all day long 24 hours a day. Yes there is a mute button, but who knows

Google VR - this is actually the only device that is 'safe'

Use your brain people. Google makes 99% of their profits from ads. These devices are simply spy devices to collect as much data on you as possible....in your home. creapy as hell. I don't want GoogleBrain listening to my conversations 24 hours a day. And if I have to remember to mute the device, that's ridiculous. 
    How far do you take this policy? Do you never use Facebook or Twitter? Do you only use DuckDuckGo for searches? Do you always browse the web in an incognito mode? Do you never create a permanent account with an online store?

Because I can guarantee that if you said "no" to any of those questions, you've had your habits tracked by many parties. It's not the end of the world unless you're just that committed to privacy.

And no, the Google Home won't be recording everything you say 24/7, unless perhaps the NSA decides to tamper with your device. It's no worse than an Amazon Echo from what we know.

GatorGuy's apprentice shows up!

In the immortal words of Yoda, "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice".

bigpatchythepirate
  • Reply 36 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:

Google VR - this is actually the only device that is 'safe'

How far do you take this policy? Do you never use Facebook or Twitter? Do you only use DuckDuckGo for searches? Do you always browse the web in an incognito mode? Do you never create a permanent account with an online store?

Because I can guarantee that if you said "no" to any of those questions, you've had your habits tracked by many parties. It's not the end of the world unless you're just that committed to privacy.

And no, the Google Home won't be recording everything you say 24/7, unless perhaps the NSA decides to tamper with your device. It's no worse than an Amazon Echo from what we know.

How do you know Google Home won't be spying on people? Based on Google's business models, I agree with Sog: stay away from Google prod if possible.
    watto_cobrabigpatchythepirate
  • Reply 37 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    K2 said:

Most broadcasts are still in 720p/1080i area. 4K? Let's talki about it 2 years from now while the next version of Apple TV arrives.
    watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 38 of 44
    I'm ducking before I write this but, you really don't need apostrophes in plurals! Would you write "I like red car's." or "Apple's grow on trees."? TVs are great for watching reruns of the 1980s. Ok, it's picky but grammar has its place!
    watto_cobrabig
  • Reply 39 of 44
    fallenjt said:

Most broadcasts are still in 720p/1080i area. 4K? Let's talki about it 2 years from now while the next version of Apple TV arrives.
    You don't have to wait 2YRS for 4K content.  Google/YouTube, Amazon Video and Netflix are already there.  And from the list of devices I listed, the Apple TV is the only one that don't have support.  This is a device released just a year ago.  IMO, there is no excuse for the ATV not supporting 4K.  
  • Reply 40 of 44

I'm ducking before I write this but, you really don't need apostrophes in plurals! Would you write "I like red car's." or "Apple's grow on trees."? TVs are great for watching reruns of the 1980s. Ok, it's picky but grammar has its place!
    English is not my main language, and sometimes I miss details like this.  Thanks for pointing it out.
    silversquonkbig