MS...this is like a weekly thing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-977051.html?tag=fd_top"; target="_blank">yet another MS security flaw</a>

how in god's name do they get away with things like this, nobody questions that there are so many problems with their OS...why?! it really gets me mad

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Uh, because as far as I know, there has not been any end-users or enterprises that are directly affected by the security flaw or those like it.

Case in point: when was the last time you heard someone who never patches his or her machine (parents for example) said someone unknown to him sent him to a link to an unknown website whose malformed activeX script erased his HD?

I read a ton of technology news everyday and would be interested if someone can dig up quantitative study or report where someone were affected by flaws like this.

[E-mail .vbs viruses - that's a whole separate topic entirely.]
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Most PC users just do not have any alternatives......

For most of them, OS X is not an option

MS sucks
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>Most PC users just do not have any alternatives......

For most of them, OS X is not an option

MS sucks </strong><hr></blockquote>

Now it's attitudes like that which get us into trouble. OS X is always an option. So is Linux. So c'mon kids drink some more kool-aid and believe that we can make a difference!

Composer
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Composer:

<strong>OS X is always an option. So is Linux.</strong><hr></blockquote>The very first thing that comes to mind when I read statements like this is big businesses. Most large corporations have some fairly specialized database software that is Windows-only. Would you expect them to run said apps through an emulator like VPC? Do you think they would be willing to spend an enormous amount of money to port said software to another platform, be it Mac or Linux, simply because of some security bugs that don't directly affect the everyday operation of the systems? If they switched to Mac, would they like to spend even more money on buying new hardware for all the employees? Not likely.

Windows is still quite good enough to not warrant blowing copious amounts of money on jumping platforms.

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just be thankful OSX doesn't have a 90% market share or it would be us.