Research shows intense interest in Apple MacBooks, even given long time since last refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Research data gathered in the summer of 2016 on interest in Apple's laptop lines suggest that any new release, despite the MacBook Pro having lain fallow for over a year, will generate both intense traffic and very high sales.

According to data collated by 1010Data, Apple holds the top spot online in U.S. brands by sale value, claiming a good portion of the $2.2 billion in sales this summer. The top five were rounded out by Dell, Asus, HP, and Lenovo.

Regarding online sales venues, Apple's website took the top crown as well. Apple and second place Dell seized 60 percent of online laptop sales, with Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg next.

1010Data claims that while most of Apple's online laptop sales happen through Apple.com, about 20 percent are purchased through other vendors.

However, the research firm notes that Dell "just edged out" Apple in product views, given Dell's lower price points and wide array of products it has for sale. HP, Asus, and Lenovo seized the remainder of the top five.

As a whole, 1010data believes that the summer sales of laptops grew 12 percent year over year, possibly reversing a few years of losses to tablets like the iPad.

The data from 1010data's Ecom Insights Panel, which utilizes a number of sources of consumer spending data representing "millions of consumers" to provide an assessment of online and offline retail sales and market share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    C'mon Apple! Jet black MacBook with two lightning ports.

P.S. GEEZ!! %1 are interested in Microsoft's MacBook killer?!?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 2 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    How about an iMac refresh?
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 18
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    My daughter has grown to hate the 1st generation MacBook Air 11 that she's been using since her mom handed it down to her a few years ago.  The kid needs the computer she'll take to college next year and hopefully use through graduation.  Something fast.  Something with a good screen.  Something a little bit fun.  We're hating the waiting for the MPB with the touch bar.

(We've got a 2009 iMac she uses when the MBA screen just totally won't cut it.)
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I wouldn't consider these numbers an equal representation, since only one vendor is known for quality.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The MB is a beautiful computer. With touch ID, a USB-C and a Lightning port (given the recent announcement of the death of the mini jack), and a significant speed increase, I'd be all over it. Throw in the touch bar for marketing value alone and you'd have a runaway success. 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Is the new macBook pro going to have a cellular radio in it?  It seems silly to have this top-of-the-line mobile computer from a company that has sold a billion iPhones ship without one.
    paxman
  • Reply 7 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Important for new macbook pro to be lighter/thinner for portability. I am sure ports like lightening, USB-C will be included but if you replace megasafe power connector than please replace with something as good. Don't be like windows laptop manufacturers who has not yet figured out after 20 years how to improve power connector. Even they can't copy/imitate Apple for this feature. Please start base storage at 256GB.
    edited October 2016 baconstangpulseimages
  • Reply 8 of 18
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    "despite the MacBook Pro having lain fallow for over a year,"
    Hell, I haven't been able to get anything to grow in mine for close to 3 years.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    I find the logic of the title strange.  Wouldn't interest in a new MacBook Pro be more intense because of, not in spite of, the relatively long time since the last refresh?
    baconstanglorin schultz
  • Reply 10 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tundraboy said:
    I find the logic of the title strange.  Wouldn't interest in a new MacBook Pro be more intense because of, not in spite of, the relatively long time since the last refresh?
    Yep, very strange.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Is the new macBook pro going to have a cellular radio in it?  It seems silly to have this top-of-the-line mobile computer from a company that has sold a billion iPhones ship without one.

There was a new story that broke out in 2011 that Apple had a prototype MacBook with 3G cellular radio support.

• Reply 12 of 18
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple needs to bring back/keep Magsafe in all their laptops. Too many have died because of a lack of it. A 17" screen would be a nice option for the lineup too.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    williamh said:
    My daughter has grown to hate the 1st generation MacBook Air 11 that she's been using since her mom handed it down to her a few years ago.  The kid needs the computer she'll take to college next year and hopefully use through graduation.  Something fast.  Something with a good screen.  Something a little bit fun.  We're hating the waiting for the MPB with the touch bar.

(We've got a 2009 iMac she uses when the MBA screen just totally won't cut it.)
    Why the hate? Too slow? Too small? If too small would a 13" have been a better choice or is that even too small?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Just about time.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    LassieGetHelp!LassieGetHelp! Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    If SJ were still here it would have Kaby Lake and DDR4 and be a commitment to supporting the developer community
  • Reply 16 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    If SJ were still here it would have Kaby Lake and DDR4 and be a commitment to supporting the developer community
    And everyone would get an Apple Pony and there would be no war or suffering in the world and iPhone would be 2" thick with week long battery life. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    They're still Macs, after all (running the particular OS that they do.)    ;)
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Apple is and has always been about Macs and OS X, nowadays all you get on sites like this carpet coverage of iOS and devices, which I dislike, and next to nothing what is the essence of Apple (Macs & OS X).