Five years after Steve Jobs: an Apple with the courage to say 'No'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    decondos said:
    Very successful but not nearly the company it was. Not much has happened since Jobs, not anything real special. I miss the Jobs perfection.

-Once an early adopter, but now reluctant and cautious-
    Really? Not much changed? CarPlay? tvOS and new Apple TV? Apple Watch? MacBook? Continuity? 3D Touch? TouchID? Apple Pay? Mac Pro? New MacBook Pros soon... do you not pay attention or are you having selective amnesia?

Or more likely... another concern troll...
    edited October 2016 caliDanielErannolamacguywatto_cobrawlym
  • Reply 22 of 54

But we already no Apple nos how to say no...

No
    new MacBook Pros. No new Mac Pros. No new iMacs. No new Mac Minis...

What we really wanna no in all confidence is...

When is Apple finally gonna say No to no new Macs?

(nice article...;)
    Next week. Pay attention.

The issue is not Apple, but Intel and their pathetically delayed roadmap. Apple had prepared features for a processor that didn't exist yet.  So we are waiting on Intel.
    watto_cobraxixo
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Love the concept of your articles, but you should learn to edit;  I mean talk less; this goes on and on to the extent of stupidity.

More is not always better; you should learn to say "no" to yourself.
    dick applebaumnolamacguysingularityxixo
  • Reply 24 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

mtbnut said:
    Please change and just say "Yes" to Flash. 

That argument ended years ago. Do you want a cassette deck in the new iPad also?

No

(nice article...;)

Apple is too busy saying no to crappy updates and rushed products. Be patient because when they say yes you will get an amazing upgrade.

watto_cobrawlym
  • Reply 25 of 54
    "... the commodity PC industry loathed Jobs as deeply and as blindly as American liberals hate Donald Trump" There, fixed that for you.
    Really? You're a special kind of person. Here's a couple of reasons to not support Donald Trump:
    1) He's a terrible business man that has bankrupted everyone one of his companies.
    2) His disparaging remarks about women and seeing them as second class citizens.
    3) His disparaging remarks about the handicapped, seeing them as second class citizens.
    4) His disparaging remarks about everyone who isn't him or a member of the Aryan race.
    5) His irresponsible talk about abolishing treaties and use of nuclear weapons.
    6) His lac of tax returns.
    7) His completely incomprehensible lack of sentence structure or meaning.
    8) Saying he didn't say something when there's clear, written evidence on Twitter.
    9) Lies.
    10) His love affair with the "religious right" while he's been the playboy of the century.
    11) Multiple affairs and divorces, yet claiming moral high ground.
    12) Completely overriding any and all conservative values... having the government pay for a multi-trillion dollar wall is not "small government".
    13) His complete lack of policy ideas to back his promises.
    14) His stirring of hateful, racists in this country who should shut up and remain silent.
    15) This is just off the top of my head. I can't even keep up with the foul, putrid, blasphemy that pours from his unfettered silver-spoon shaped mouth organ.

nolamacguysingularitywlymspice-boyhmm
  • Reply 26 of 54
    "... the commodity PC industry loathed Jobs as deeply and as blindly as American liberals hate Donald Trump" There, fixed that for you.
    American liberals might not like Trump, but what evidence is there of inventing fake scandals, blaming him for things he had nothing to do with, or of pretending/hoping he has health problems?  

Many liberals actually love Trump being in the race, considering that he not only gives the weakest possible competition to Hillary, but has also turned off many voters, ensuring that down-ticket Republican Senate & House candidates will lose many votes this cycle.

But the analogy was there for a purpose: Apple is targeted with phony "scandals" that amount to nothing (like Bendgate, where other phones were weaker and iPhone 6 Plus wasn't really a weak design anyway), is complained about for causing issues that have nothing to do with Apple or its policies, and Steve personally was targeted with mean-spirited health rumors.

This is what an analogy is. Anyone with critical thinking skills can see this. If you want to swap out words to make yourself feel better, you can, but what you wrote makes no sense at all and has no basis in reality. 
    thedbahmmjax44
  • Reply 27 of 54
    knowitall said:
    "By 1986, Jobs chose to leave Apple and start over on a project he could more completely control: NeXT. "
    Rewriting history, much?
    Made me laugh though
    Mmm...

We were [the best] Apple Dealers in Silicon Valley at the time, and knew lots of people at Apple.  What I believe was the most accurate portrayal of the event is that Steve was demoted and was told that he would never hold another high-level management position at Apple -- He was not fired, but chose to leave Apple of his own volition.

JLG should be able to confirm this if he so choses.

A few years later, a saying was going around:

Name the three best things Steve Jobs did for Apple:
    • 3rd best: co-found Apple
    • 2nd best: left Apple
    • 1st best: returned to Apple

edited October 2016 jkichlinenolamacguycali
  • Reply 28 of 54
    jkichline said:

No

(nice article...

The issue is not Apple, but Intel and their pathetically delayed roadmap. Apple had prepared features for a processor that didn't exist yet.  So we are waiting on Intel.
    No shit. Now my turn... Pay attention & try to keep up: My post. Was simply. A parody. Of the article. We all just. Finished reading.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 29 of 54
    knowitall said:
    "By 1986, Jobs chose to leave Apple and start over on a project he could more completely control: NeXT. "
    Rewriting history, much?
    Made me laugh though
    Mmm...

We were [the best] Apple Dealers in Silicon Valley at the time, and knew lots of people at Apple.  What I believe was the most accurate portrayal of the event is that Steve was demoted and was told that he would never hold another high-level management position at Apple -- He was not fired, but chose to leave Apple of his own volition.

Name the three best things Steve Jobs did at Apple:
    • 2nd best: leave Apple
    • 1st best: return to Apple

Exactly. He might not have been fired in "The Apprentice" sense... but he was basically told to do meaningless stuff in the basement.  It was disrespectful of his ability and accomplishments and he left.  I would argue that it constituted a firing.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 54
    jkichline said:
    decondos said:
    Very successful but not nearly the company it was. Not much has happened since Jobs, not anything real special. I miss the Jobs perfection.

-Once an early adopter, but now reluctant and cautious-
    Really? Not much changed? CarPlay? tvOS and new Apple TV? Apple Watch? MacBook? Continuity? 3D Touch? TouchID? Apple Pay? Mac Pro? New MacBook Pros soon... do you not pay attention or are you having selective amnesia?

Or more likely... another concern troll...
    Ahh... and don't forget Swift... and open-sourcing Swift! Anyone can write apps in Swift which access [through Cloud] IBM's 2,000+ packages, like Watson, and run them on a Mac, AppleWatch, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Linux desktop or server, Raspberry Pi...
    edited October 2016 nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 54
    jkichline said:
    knowitall said:
    Rewriting history, much?
    Made me laugh though
    Mmm...

Name the three best things Steve Jobs did at Apple:
    • 2nd best: leave Apple
    • 1st best: return to Apple

Exactly. He might not have been fired in "The Apprentice" sense... but he was basically told to do meaningless stuff in the basement.  It was disrespectful of his ability and accomplishments and he left.  I would argue that it constituted a firing.

Thomas Watson Sr. was “fired” by NCRThomas J Watson Sr former President of International Business Machines IBM

Famously, NCR’s star sales executive Thomas Watson Sr. (1874–1956) met a similar fate. In 1914, Watson argued that NCR’s dominant product, mechanical cash registers, would soon go obsolete. He proposed that NCR develop electric cash registers. Patterson resisted the idea. He warned Watson not to overstep his boundaries and demanded that Watson focus on sales only and intrude into product innovation. Following an argument at a meeting, Patterson dismissed Watson. In a fit of rage, Patterson had workers carry Watson’s desk outside and had it lit on fire. Watson Sr. was thus “fired.”
    Now, that's a firing!

Watson Sr. still believed in the potential for electric cash registers. He joined a smaller competitor, Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR,) which soon grew into International Business Machines (IBM.) Watson Sr. led IBM for forty years and turned it into the world’s leading technology company.
    edited October 2016 wlymxixo
  • Reply 32 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bill1357 said:
    Love the concept of your articles, but you should learn to edit;  I mean talk less; this goes on and on to the extent of stupidity.

More is not always better; you should learn to say "no" to yourself.
    i actually agree with this. when i was a journalism student our articles for the paper had word limits so we had to learn to be concise. why use 5 words with 3 will suffice, say more with less, etc... the constraint was good for teaching focus. 
    edited October 2016 dick applebaumxixo
  • Reply 33 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jkichline said:

No

(nice article...

No shit. Now my turn... Pay attention & try to keep up: My post. Was simply. A parody. Of the article. We all just. Finished reading. You. Moron...
    1) your parody was really not very funny at all.

2) it's absolutely uncalled for to call another user a moron, especially since it's unwarranted -- you complained about no new macs (sigh) and he was explaining one suggestion on why that is.  
  • Reply 34 of 54
    jkichline said:
    1) He's a terrible business man that has bankrupted everyone one of his companies.
    ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? Do you REALLY think that anyone believes your paid shilling anymore? Fuck off, kid.

Will you kill yourself when he’s elected or will you wait for inauguration day?

I will recommend the termination of your account if you continue to post threatening, hateful garbage. 

Also, you are uninformed. A series of business that bear Trump's name are not run or owned by him and have nothing to do with his person failures in business. 

The rest of your 4chan level screed is too ridiculous to read.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrasingularitywlymnolamacguycrowleyhmm
  • Reply 35 of 54
    jkichline said:
    ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? Do you REALLY think that anyone believes your paid shilling anymore? Fuck off, kid.

I will recommend the termination of your account if you continue to post threatening, hateful garbage. 

Also, you are uninformed. A series of business that bear Trump's name are not run or owned by him and have nothing to do with his person failures in business. 

You deliberately invited this by mixing election nonsense into a Steve Jobs editorial.   Further because of your idiotic defense of Hillary, now there's idiotic defense of Trump.  You two deserve each other, because this pathetic political team signaling and interjecting irrelevant political content into totally unrelated areas, is the territory of fools.
    SpamSandwichgtrxixocrowley
  • Reply 36 of 54
    cali said:

mtbnut said:
    Please change and just say "Yes" to Flash. 

That argument ended years ago. Do you want a cassette deck in the new iPad also?

No

(nice article...;)

Apple is too busy saying no to crappy updates and rushed products. Be patient because when they say yes you will get an amazing upgrade.

That's weird Cali! You sound exactly as the article would if it achieved consciousness. (Are you its bot)?

My post was a joke Cali, riffing off the "No" theme in the article for a few laughs.

... and if mtbnut wasn't being sarcastic concerning Flash, no good can come from exhuming that rotting corpse anywhere near here. 
    xixo
  • Reply 37 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jkichline said:

Not a big fan of freedom of speech?

Another EXCELLENT article although "as blindly as American conservatives hate Hillary Clinton" seemed like an unnecessary attempt to get approximately half of your audience to stop reading.

It's amusing that a connection has not been made between the constant negative media criticism that Jobs and Apple endured from the mainstream media and that which Donald Trump currently experiences today.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

"without any pesky centralised security of a Walled Garden."
    Those who mistake Apple's quality control as a 'walled garden' should probably consider the implications of Google's 'open-air castle'.

Loved this line:
    "Customers said yes to Apple's No and no to all the Yes products."
    edited October 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 54
    This was puff writing.  Silly.  Steve showed pragmatism.  In contemporary American business culture, the long-term corporate results of rational pragmatism are perceived as "Visionary" "Magic" "etc.".  Actually, the real message here is how pathetically simple and greedy most corporate decision-making entities have become.  Steve was special, but the moves he made were 80% common sense, 10% visionary, 10% luck.  Looking back, that's pretty obvious, but pathetically rare.

RIP SPJ

xixo
  • Reply 39 of 54
    jkichline said:
    Americans have a tiny problem.  They don't know what something is until they experience it directly.  Trumpy is a Fascist.  If/When he's elected, Americans will learn what that is.  It's evolution.  Ignorance is a self-correcting deficit.  If you need a lesson in this, go live in Syria or the Philippines.  Perhaps, tour Auschwitz.  Tour the Synagogues of Western Europe.  Force yourself to read every name of every Jew tortured and killed.  You're remarks are pathetically infantile, like the candidate you support.  If you have a son or daughter, do this the day Mr. Trump is inaugurated.  March them down to the Marine corp recruiting office and get them signed up.  Put your ignorance right where your heart is.  I assure you, you'll get to visit Arlington, and for no good reason.   
    edited October 2016 wlymnolamacguyspice-boydasanman69
  • Reply 40 of 54
    ReelScienceReelScience Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The Clinton scandals are "made up"?
    gtr