All 2017 iPhones likely to have glass casing, stainless steel edges may be limited to high...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    clemynx said:
    sog35 said:
    blah,blah,blah,blah,blah

That is th stupidest thing I have seen the whole month. And that is saying a lot lot lot. 
    That's what happens when you let an accountant do the design engineer's works. LOL. People still don't understand the meaning of HOME button: press once to take you home no matter where you're at. Swipe up the control center just to access the home button is beyond stupid.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguyargonautirelandmike1
  • Reply 42 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sergioz said:
    iPhone will never have glass casing, ceramic maybe, but not glass! Thats like taking a step back!
    Agreed. This is the best explanation I've seen on what the next iPhone may have

https://www.quora.com/What-will-the-iPhone-8-be-made-of
    interesting article. 

The 10th Anniversary iPhone 8

In September 2017, Apple will be releasing the 10th Anniversary iPhone 8. It is my view Apple will use this moment to present a completely new iPhone design that will be revolutionary in many ways. I assert the design language will be based on a more organic shape and design. There will be ergonomic curves that will mold into the new AMOLED display being driven by video chips that simply could not have thermally operated in such a small space with-out heat efficiency of Zirconia ceramics. The iPhone 8 will not just be water resistant but water proof and dust proof to a level never seen before on a smartphone. The lightning port will look more like the Mag-Safe system used on the MacBook Pro devices [10] and mostly use inductive charging. Of course there will be no 3.5mm audio jack.

• Reply 43 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Because

If you had shown an image of an actual screen as opposed to some fake (so called) concept art (from some random dude), that would have been acceptable.

Here:
    Much better looking from asthetics standpoint as well as from function stand point.

http://cdn.iphonehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/iOS-8-looks-quite-the-same-as-iOS-7-lock-screen.jpg

Also, what is the problem with thin fonts? Don't like them or don't see them that well? No problemo -- there is bold font option in iOS that you can turn on. Use it, instead if demanding that terrible font for everyone else without the way to turn it off!
    Nah, that font looks ridiculous.  The colon is completely out of proportion with the time.  No thanks.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    When do preorders begin. ;) 

• Reply 45 of 57
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The next (or the next next) IPhone should be interesting because, like PCs, IPhones are beginning to push against what is actually necessary in the internals...   How much better do you NEED a camera to be?  How much faster do you NEED a processor to be?  How much better do you NEED a screen to be?

When the old products satisfy user needs as well as the new ones, too many users opt for the older ones....  Yes, the IPhone 7 is a major improvement on the 6 and the 6S, no question.   But, the 6 and the 6S meet the needs of most users just fine...  They may want a 7, but they don't need a 7.

So, how do you excite the user base and promote the sale of the newer products?    Form factor changes such as edge to edge screens that enable a bigger screen on a smaller phone....  And/or another major area needing improvement is battery life -- but there I suspect Apple has set the stage (but not really exploited it yet) with their A10 quad core processor that is able to switch between high performance and power saving cores.

But, perhaps, this is the time when Apple will start to really miss Steve Jobs.   For the past 5 years they've been building on his work.   Now they may need something that people don't know that they need because they haven't seen it yet...  But then, Jobs never worried much about product sales.   He was focused on developing insanely cool products, not insanely huge profits...  (the profits, like the losses, were side affects of his main interest:  the insanely cool product).
  • Reply 46 of 57
    A physical home button has certain advantages -- but then so does a virtual, screen based home button...

But who decided the physical home button has to be on the FRONT of the phone?   Wouldn't a physical home button work just as well AND free up valuable territory for the screen if it were on the side?
  • Reply 47 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    But who decided the physical home button has to be on the FRONT of the phone? Wouldn't a physical home button work just as well AND free up valuable territory for the screen if it were on the side?
    No one said it has to be on the front. The question is what location provides the most intuitive and best experience. The answer I believe is the current location. I'm open to better suggestions, but I'll tell you what I think of those suggestion when you make them.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 48 of 57
    ireland said:
    But who decided the physical home button has to be on the FRONT of the phone? Wouldn't a physical home button work just as well AND free up valuable territory for the screen if it were on the side?
    No one said it has to be on the front. The question is what location provides the most intuitive and best experience. The answer I believe is the current location. I'm open to better suggestions, but I'll tell you what I think of those suggestion when you make them.
    That's the wrong question.   The question is not whether it would provide a better experience on the front vs any other location.  Rather, the question is the same as for the headphone jack:   does it interfere with or block other, more important functionality?   The answer for the headphone jack was that it both took up valuable space that could be better used by other components as well as impeding the water resistance of the phone.   The answer for the home button is similar:  it takes up valuable real estate that is better used by other components and functions.  Yes, Apple can make it a virtual button rather than a physical one -- but either way it takes up valuable screen real estate that is better used to do what the screen is intended to do...
  • Reply 49 of 57
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    We are now going on year 5 of the full bezel display renderings
  • Reply 50 of 57
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    This is NOT the first time that Apple has differentiated design based on capacity. The iPhone 3G introduced the first official color options for the outer casing. However, the white color option was only available for the 16GB version.
    longpath
  • Reply 51 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The next (or the next next) IPhone should be interesting because, like PCs, IPhones are beginning to push against what is actually necessary in the internals...   How much better do you NEED a camera to be?  How much faster do you NEED a processor to be?  How much better do you NEED a screen to be?

When the old products satisfy user needs as well as the new ones, too many users opt for the older ones....  Yes, the IPhone 7 is a major improvement on the 6 and the 6S, no question.   But, the 6 and the 6S meet the needs of most users just fine...  They may want a 7, but they don't need a 7.

So, how do you excite the user base and promote the sale of the newer products?    Form factor changes such as edge to edge screens that enable a bigger screen on a smaller phone....  And/or another major area needing improvement is battery life -- but there I suspect Apple has set the stage (but not really exploited it yet) with their A10 quad core processor that is able to switch between high performance and power saving cores.

But, perhaps, this is the time when Apple will start to really miss Steve Jobs.   For the past 5 years they've been building on his work.   Now they may need something that people don't know that they need because they haven't seen it yet...  But then, Jobs never worried much about product sales.   He was focused on developing insanely cool products, not insanely huge profits...  (the profits, like the losses, were side affects of his main interest:  the insanely cool product).
    on the steve jobs tropes -- he didn't invent these new technologies or products, they were a team effort. this is well documented in the story of the ipod, the mac, the iphone... he was a great product manager but not the inventor. 
    edited October 2016 mike1
  • Reply 52 of 57
    “all 2017 iPhone models, in both the 4.7- and 5.5-inch sizes”

4" or GTFO
  • Reply 53 of 57
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    hmlongco said:
    There's also Liquid Metal. Harder, more scratch resistant, and transparent to RF.

People keep forgetting Apple's patents and investment in that company and technology...
    People also seem to forget that it's technically a "glass", therefore an "all glass" casing could be transparent glass on the front and Liquid Metal on the back. 
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Those fantasy 'concepts'...lol.
    Made from transparent aluminum and unobtainium and powered by Element 115 from space.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    If you want to impress me with a fantasy 'concept,' make the screen larger than the physical bezel around the screen. I mean, it's the next frontier in fantasy phones!
  • Reply 56 of 57
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    "Given that the iPhone 7 series marks the first time Apple has differentiated design based on capacity..."

Actually, not true.
    The iPhone 3GS in white was only available in 16GB capacity, while the black 3GS could be had in 8GB or 16GB capacity.
    longpath