Five years after Steve Jobs: an Apple with the courage to say 'No'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    What is it about ms and alf that they need to say yes to everything? Are they not very creative?
    I'd love an in-depth about em and their leaders in a similar vein to this article - although it may induce boredom and nausea, I guess.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 54
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    the reality distortion field doesn't work from beyond the grave

as stated before, the refocus from the customer to shareholder value is a mistake that will not pay off in the long term...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 54
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    jkichline said:

But we already no Apple nos how to say no...

No
    new MacBook Pros. No new Mac Pros. No new iMacs. No new Mac Minis...

What we really wanna no in all confidence is...

When is Apple finally gonna say No to no new Macs?

(nice article...;)
    Next week. Pay attention.

The issue is not Apple, but Intel and their pathetically delayed roadmap. Apple had prepared features for a processor that didn't exist yet.  So we are waiting on Intel.
    gonna be interesting when the first Ax processor powered macs make their debut
  • Reply 44 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    xixo said:
    gonna be interesting when the first Ax processor powered macs make their debut
    Does Apple have the capability to come up with their own, more modern architecture? Something that would mean the computers aren’t running on ARM? Doesn’t ARM have a fair few tradeoffs on the… ah, they don’t really care about the high end anymore, do they, though…
  • Reply 45 of 54
    "... the commodity PC industry loathed Jobs as deeply and as blindly as American liberals hate Donald Trump" There, fixed that for you.
    American liberals might not like Trump, but what evidence is there of inventing fake scandals, blaming him for things he had nothing to do with, or of pretending/hoping he has health problems?  

Many liberals actually love Trump being in the race, considering that he not only gives the weakest possible competition to Hillary, but has also turned off many voters, ensuring that down-ticket Republican Senate & House candidates will lose many votes this cycle.

But the analogy was there for a purpose: Apple is targeted with phony "scandals" that amount to nothing (like Bendgate, where other phones were weaker and iPhone 6 Plus wasn't really a weak design anyway), is complained about for causing issues that have nothing to do with Apple or its policies, and Steve personally was targeted with mean-spirited health rumors.

This is what an analogy is. Anyone with critical thinking skills can see this. If you want to swap out words to make yourself feel better, you can, but what you wrote makes no sense at all and has no basis in reality. 

Despite what you say Dan, I'm sure you were fully aware that the one sentence would derail the thread. It is a blemish on an otherwise good article that would have had some nice comments.

Now it'll just devolve into another political thread.

• Reply 46 of 54
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Great article but don't forget Apple's latest, NO to paying tax on $68 Billion in income.  
  • Reply 47 of 54
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Great article DED.  The quality to say no and focus is a feature of Japanese Soto Zen Buddhism of which Jobs was a follower.

PS- sorry about the comment fighting that followed.  You need to understand the mind set of fascism.

• Reply 48 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    redefiler said:
    jkichline said:
    1) He's a terrible business man that has bankrupted everyone one of his companies.
    ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? Do you REALLY think that anyone believes your paid shilling anymore? Fuck off, kid.

Will you kill yourself when he’s elected or will you wait for inauguration day?

I will recommend the termination of your account if you continue to post threatening, hateful garbage. 

Also, you are uninformed. A series of business that bear Trump's name are not run or owned by him and have nothing to do with his person failures in business. 

The rest of your 4chan level screed is too ridiculous to read.
    You deliberately invited this by mixing election nonsense into a Steve Jobs editorial.   Further because of your idiotic defense of Hillary, now there's idiotic defense of Trump.  You two deserve each other, because this pathetic political team signaling and interjecting irrelevant political content into totally unrelated areas, is the territory of fools.
    one can argue the points without being a complete jackass -- personal attacks, etc.. i flagged his post too.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 49 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

gtr said:
    jkichline said:
    1) He's a terrible business man that has bankrupted everyone one of his companies.
    ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? Do you REALLY think that anyone believes your paid shilling anymore? Fuck off, kid.

Will you kill yourself when he’s elected or will you wait for inauguration day?

I will recommend the termination of your account if you continue to post threatening, hateful garbage. 

Also, you are uninformed. A series of business that bear Trump's name are not run or owned by him and have nothing to do with his person failures in business. 

The rest of your 4chan level screed is too ridiculous to read.
    Not a big fan of freedom of speech?

yet another person who doesnt understand what freedom of speech means. freedom of speech is freedom from the government. it does not mean businesses have to give you access to their platform.

regardless, the AI forum rules were pretty clear when i signed up -- no personal attacks. TS filled his post with personal attacks.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Jobs' "courage of conviction" in a variety of decisions related to the Macintosh and its future led to a solid user environment for desktop publishing but eventually met with resistance inside Apple, where Jobs' convictions on how to invest the company's profits and how to sell new hardware weren't unanimous. By 1986, Jobs chose to leave Apple and start over on a project he could more completely control: NeXT.
    UNQUOTE

Probably, DED knows more than we do. Heck, he even knows more than Isaacson!
    Cause, as far as I've read:
    - Jobs didn't choose to leave (he clamped to Apple)
    - Macintosh wasn't turning profits (Jobs was in charge only of Macintosh), on the contrary
    - HIs courage of conviction made the original Macintosh a huge flop
    edited October 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 51 of 54
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    knowitall said:
    "By 1986, Jobs chose to leave Apple and start over on a project he could more completely control: NeXT. "
    Rewriting history, much?
    Made me laugh though
    Indeed. That's just a bizarre interpretation of what happened.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 52 of 54
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    BxBorn said:
    decondos said:
    Very successful but not nearly the company it was. Not much has happened since Jobs, not anything real special. I miss the Jobs perfection.

-Once an early adopter, but now reluctant and cautious-
    it's little unfair to say it's not the company it was. When Jobs was head of Apple the industry was in a much different place and there was still way more advancements available. At the moment, there's a low period in innovation because the available technology. If any company were to do something truly ground breaking, it would be too expensive to produce and way too expensive for consumer adoption. 
    i have to point out that this isn't true -- innovation at apple happens every day. innovation != flashy new product releases. if anything, ongoing, behind the scenes engineering innovation is what leads up to those big releases. 
    Guessing you work for MSNBC or FoxNews because you've only selected a portion of what I said. R&D is always trying to be innovated and bring "flashy new products" but there is the reality of being able to mass produce at a price point where it can be profitable - that's where the low period comes in because these innovations are too expensive for both production and consumer adoption.

The idea of a self driving car itself is nothing new but the idea of it being market ready is...we're in the idea stage where we might here about a lot of cool things but it will be years before we can touch them, hence the low period. Perhaps, I should've phrased it as consumer ready innovation is at a low point because we're not seeing anything significantly new and with existing products only getting minor enhancements compared to it's predecessor.

iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 - would you say that there is significant and real innovated differences between those 3 models of phones. Anything that would may you say "wow"? I would agree there are nice to have but nothing innovative. Even the dual camera on the 7 Plus is technology that's 5 years old.  
  • Reply 53 of 54
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    "Apple still going strong five years after Steve Jobs' death." I personally don't think so.
    edited October 2016 tallest skil