AT&T might halt Samsung Galaxy Note 7 sales due to safety risks, other carriers offer swaps

Posted:
in General Discussion
Two days after a smoldering Samsung device caused the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines plane, executives at U.S. cellular carrier AT&T are reportedly considering stopping all Galaxy Note 7 sales and replacements citing safety concerns.

According to an unnamed source, AT&T's final decision on a potential Galaxy Note 7 sales and replacement stoppage could arrive as soon as Friday, Bloomberg reports. Since the carrier is in the midst processing returns of the literally hot Samsung device, alternative smartphones will likely be issued in their place.

A separate report from The Wall Street Journal notes all major cellular providers in the U.S. are allowing customers to replace their Galaxy Note 7 with another device. This includes units already replaced as part of a global recall which began last month.

Replacement offers from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile were activated to assuage customer concerns as Samsung and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission complete an investigation into the combusting handsets. So far, the company had deduced a "battery cell problem" in affected units could in some cases lead to overheating.

Samsung's troubles began shortly after the Note 7 launched in August. Reports of exploding handsets first emerged from users in South Korea who experienced hazardous hardware failures while charging the device. Subsequent incidents illustrated the issue was not limited to charging, prompting Samsung to stop shipments and ultimately issue a voluntary global recall of 2.5 million devices.

Customers in the U.S. returned some 130,000 affected Galaxy Note 7s prior to the recall. Samsung said half of all recalled units were exchanged in September.

More recently, however, a Galaxy Note 7 user in China claimed his replaced unit also exploded. Whether or not the explosion is related to the original battery issue is unclear.

Ironically, a report in September alleged Samsung rushed the Galaxy Note 7 to market in an attempt to capitalize on Apple's "boring" iPhone 7 release. Despite significant feature additions, suppliers were pushed to accommodate a launch set ten days ahead of schedule. One of those enhancements is a high capacity battery 16 percent larger than last year's Galaxy Note model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    "might halt..."

If the next exploding Note 7 actually takes down a plane, and AT&T is the carrier that sold it, whatcha think they will do then?  Besides go to court to defend a class-action suit, I mean.
    caliperkedelsockrolidwonkothesanejbdragonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    Bull shit.y these people are creating such lies.i have used the old note 7 as well as the new safe note 7.i didnt get any issues.wonderfull phone.i phone 7 has lot of issues.but still they didnt have the gut to accept it.samsung did.thats da way a company should be.we salute samsung and always with them
    It hasn't affected me, therefore, it isn't a problem. Perfect logic there.

Also, please type properly.
    caliSolijfc1138ericthehalfbeeanantksundaramdjkfisherberndogstarwarstmayDeelron
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    Bull shit.y these people are creating such lies.i have used the old note 7 as well as the new safe note 7.i didnt get any issues.wonderfull phone.i phone 7 has lot of issues.but still they didnt have the gut to accept it.samsung did.thats da way a company should be.we salute samsung and always with them
    What the f are you talking about?
    What iPhone 7's  "lot of issues"? I think, you confused Note 7 with iPhone 7...

"we salute samsung and always with them"
    We? Who is it - we? The army of paid trolls, or just an army of brainless idiots?
    edited October 2016 therunningvmcaliericthehalfbeemobirdanantksundaramdjkfisherberndogstarwarstmayDeelron
  • Reply 4 of 63
    I don't listen from Koreans that are fandroids and spell incorrectly.
    calijfc1138djkfisherright_said_fredmagman1979Bluntsockrolidxiamenbillmobiuslostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 63
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Rinsen said:
    Textbook troll. You can't make this shit up
    djkfisherright_said_fredDeelronmagman1979sockrolidlolliverkuduBluntxiamenbillnolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 63
    cali said:
    Rinsen said:
    Sad. Just sad. 
    calisockrolidxiamenbilllostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 63
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Rinsen said:
    What the f are you talking about?
    What iPhone 7's  "lot of issues"? I think, you confused Note 7 with iPhone 7...

"we salute samsung and always with them"
    We? Who is it - we? The army of paid trolls, or just an army of brainless idiots?
    Your last question is redundant.  It's "brainless idiots" either way.

Try reading any sentence about any Samsung product.  If you just substitute the words, "brainless idiots" for "Samsung," it will suddenly make a lot more sense.
    djkfishercalilolliverxiamenbillwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 63
    What should happen is that the FAA should ban ALL Note 7 phones from ALL flights, domestic and inbound and outbound International flights.

The FTC should ban ALL sales of the Note 7 phones and have Samsung recall ALL Note 7 phones sold and refund the money.

Under the right conditions, the Note 7 phones unless recalled will cause a death.

Hey, if Apple comes out with an iPhone that's just as dangerous, my opinion is the same.  Life is just too precious to loose.
    edited October 2016 right_said_fredcalilollivercrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 63
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Samsung does not have gut to stop selling Note 7 completely.
    calilostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 63
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    isteelers said:
    cali said:
    Rinsen said:
    Sad. Just sad. 
    It might just be someone messing with us. No one can be that stupid right? But then again have you read fandroid YouTube comments?
    jbdragonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 63
    macseeker said:
    I don't listen from Koreans that are fandroids and spell incorrectly.
    macseeker said:
    (...)
    Hey, if Apple comes out with an iPhone that's just as dangerous, my opinion is the same.  Life is just too precious to loose.
    Well written! Life is just too precious to lose...  ;)
  • Reply 12 of 63
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Rinsen said:
    we salute samsung and always with them
    LOL
    sockrolidlollivercalidick applebaumjbdragonwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 13 of 63
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Rinsen said:
    ... we salute samsung and always with them
    I think you mean "Samsmoke."
    Please salute them.
    Always.
    lollivercalixiamenbillirelandwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 14 of 63
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    A couple of weeks ago a Samsung phone actually caught fire DURING A FLIGHT.

The flight was Inigo flight 6E-054 from Singapore to Chennai.

The phone was a Note 2.

This was a much more serious incident than the one the one in the US since it happen while the flight was airborne! Somehow this incident got very little media attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37454436
    lolliverxiamenbillirelandcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    There were plenty of bombs dropped that didn't explode on contact, however, there's no telling when they might go off. Better to just dig them all up and destroy them in advance. That also would be the safest measure for the Galaxy Note 7. It's like an IED waiting to go off at some future time.
    calibaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    Obviously testimonial crafted by someone senior in Samsung's PR dept. 

... since Apple has never needed to recall two releases of life-threatening exploding phones, Samsung has no example from Apple to copy from...

xiamenbillcaliwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    Definitely a troll post from the same lead engineer at Samsung who designed the Note 7... The writing style & phone are indistinguishable. 
    irelandanantksundarammobiustallest skilwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Rinsen said:
    This is the proof that humanity has no future.
    calitallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Rinsen said:

Posted using Google Now by the last poor bastard still surviving in Samsung's Quality Control Unit, after sustaining blunt-force head trauma, loss of hearing & severed right hand while blast-testing Note 7 v3 without proper use of helmet & safety gloves...

edited October 2016 caliperkedelstarwarswatto_cobragilly017
  • Reply 20 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Rinsen said:
    There's alway dumbass in a forum who doesn't understand that if the device doesn't explode in his face, it doesn't mean it'safe. You fucking idiot...your fucking Note 7 jeopardized lives of the entire fight! Btw, learn how to write and use correct punctuation + spaces.
    edited October 2016 anantksundaramericlmercercaliperkedelpscooter63starwarswatto_cobra