Samsung Galaxy fire blamed in evacuation of Southwest flight

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    NY1822 said:
    sockrolid said:
    NY1822 said:
    the funny thing is Samsung stock price is near an all time high...but apple stock has 3% swings from a fake German report of slowing iphone sales that no one ever read...
    Samsung's overall profits aren't heavily dependent on their smartphone / phablet sales.
    They sell all manner of consumer electronics and appliances.

And yes.  Some of Samsung's home appliances explode too: 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/28/government-agency-issues-warning-over-exploding-samsung-washing-machines
    then why are they selling assets to pay "soaring costs"?
    http://m.nasdaq.com/article/samsung-raises-cash-with-sales----wsj-20160919-00056
    The scariest part of that report? Samsung wants to diversify into biopharmaceuticals. 

Bloody hell :-(

• Reply 82 of 101
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    NY1822 said:
    sockrolid said:
    NY1822 said:
    the funny thing is Samsung stock price is near an all time high...but apple stock has 3% swings from a fake German report of slowing iphone sales that no one ever read...
    Samsung's overall profits aren't heavily dependent on their smartphone / phablet sales.
    They sell all manner of consumer electronics and appliances.

And yes.  Some of Samsung's home appliances explode too: 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/28/government-agency-issues-warning-over-exploding-samsung-washing-machines
    then why are they selling assets to pay "soaring costs"?
    http://m.nasdaq.com/article/samsung-raises-cash-with-sales----wsj-20160919-00056
    The scariest part of that report? Samsung wants to diversify into biopharmaceuticals. 

Bloody hell :-(
    Nuts! A decade from now airlines will be saying that those taking Samsung biopharmacueitals will have to to turn off their cell's ATP during flights¡
    spheric
  • Reply 83 of 101
    A very serious, honest question, with absolutely no intention of casting any aspersions. I am merely bringing up the (vague) likelihood of pathological behavior. Is it foolish to worry, given all the attention this is getting, that someone -- and we know the extent of anti-Apple virulence out there -- might be tempted to tamper with an iPhone to make waves? If so, how could Apple possibly protect against something like that?

1. Apple would ask for the device to see what went wrong and would find out that it was tampered with.

2. It would still be a one-off incident. The person doing it would tamper 1 phone or even 2, but not so many that it would be as widespread as Samsung's Note problem. Not unless the person was the CEO of Samsung!

1. If it exploded and brought down an airplane carrying thousands of gallons of jet fuel -- it might be a bit difficult to provide the device to Apple for analysis.

2. Why would it be a one-off incident -- it could be the weapon of choice -- what if terrorists use a  phone instead of a belt full of explosives?

The scary thing, on planes, is that you don't need any dynamite, etc. -- an exploding phone is just the fuse...

OK, I may have misunderstood Ananth's post. I thought he was just talking about someone claiming an iPhone exploded just to make waves. I didn't think he was talking about that happening on a flight.
  • Reply 84 of 101
    A very serious, honest question, with absolutely no intention of casting any aspersions. I am merely bringing up the (vague) likelihood of pathological behavior. Is it foolish to worry, given all the attention this is getting, that someone -- and we know the extent of anti-Apple virulence out there -- might be tempted to tamper with an iPhone to make waves? If so, how could Apple possibly protect against something like that?

1. Apple would ask for the device to see what went wrong and would find out that it was tampered with.

2. It would still be a one-off incident. The person doing it would tamper 1 phone or even 2, but not so many that it would be as widespread as Samsung's Note problem. Not unless the person was the CEO of Samsung!

1. If it exploded and brought down an airplane carrying thousands of gallons of jet fuel -- it might be a bit difficult to provide the device to Apple for analysis.

2. Why would it be a one-off incident -- it could be the weapon of choice -- what if terrorists use a  phone instead of a belt full of explosives?

The scary thing, on planes, is that you don't need any dynamite, etc. -- an exploding phone is just the fuse...

OK, I may have misunderstood Ananth's post. I thought he was just talking about someone claiming an iPhone exploded just to make waves. I didn't think he was talking about that happening on a flight.
    Sorry, I apologize -- you are correct!  I took the leap to the terrorist use of phones to disrupt our lives.  When I first read the article, I jumped to the conclusion that phones, etc. could be misused to disrupt transportation -- and I used @anantksundaram's post as a springboard -- though, it wasn't meant that way.       

• Reply 85 of 101
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    A fine and jail time is appropriate for anyone who knowingly (intentionally) takes a Note 7 or other banned incendiary device onto a passenger airliner. A crash would result in massive loss of life plus huge economic damages. Treating such issues in a cavalier manner is a crime against humanity. .

Simply taking the device on board is not banned. What is banned is having it powered on or charging. In the past two weeks I've flown on 5 different airlines based in 5 different countries and the flight attendants give the same message at the beginning of every flight: that Samsung Galaxy devices are required to be powered off and unplugged. This guy says he did that so he did what was required of him.
    And this incident illustrates that this protocol is NOT ENOUGH to ensure passenger and plane safety... What would've happened in the phone combusted a mere 10 minutes later when it was in the air?!?!?! It already taxied out onto the tarmac and was preparing to take off! Someone was watching over this plane and its passengers to ensure this didn't happen mid-air!

ALL Samdung devices need to be BANNED and CONFISCATED at security screening before you even get NEAR the plane...
    I don't disagree. I just made that comment because it sounded like that poster was implying this guy should face some type of penalty.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    A fine and jail time is appropriate for anyone who knowingly (intentionally) takes a Note 7 or other banned incendiary device onto a passenger airliner. A crash would result in massive loss of life plus huge economic damages. Treating such issues in a cavalier manner is a crime against humanity. .

Simply taking the device on board is not banned. What is banned is having it powered on or charging. In the past two weeks I've flown on 5 different airlines based in 5 different countries and the flight attendants give the same message at the beginning of every flight: that Samsung Galaxy devices are required to be powered off and unplugged. This guy says he did that so he did what was required of him.
    And this incident illustrates that this protocol is NOT ENOUGH to ensure passenger and plane safety... What would've happened in the phone combusted a mere 10 minutes later when it was in the air?!?!?! It already taxied out onto the tarmac and was preparing to take off! Someone was watching over this plane and its passengers to ensure this didn't happen mid-air!

ALL Samdung devices need to be BANNED and CONFISCATED at security screening before you even get NEAR the plane...
    I don't disagree. I just made that comment because it sounded like that poster was implying this guy should face some type of penalty.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    This is friken RIDICULOUS.

All Samsung phones need to be confiscated from all flights. PERIOD.

They need to be collected and stored in an air tight/fire proof safe for the entire flight.

These phones are as dangerous as dynamite. 
    Why the HELL is the govt not doing anything?
    Many people don't know Android phones are much superior to iPhones.  Google Android phones are capable of doing multi-tasking even in the background.  They think if Android phones are not in use then there is no danger of overheating.  Apparently Samsung proved the government and the media are idiots.  
    Android is NOT superior to iOS even with background multi tasking. And the phone in question was powered off. If android is actually running in the background when a phone is powered down, then I will admit that android is truly superior, in that it can run without a power source. And if the OS is still running utilizing the battery when a phone is powered down, it is a massive OS design flaw. It would mean the only way really to shut phone down would be to fully exhaust the battery. So much for saving the battery on an Android phone when it is powered down. The OS is still running anyway and performing multiple tasks draining the battery so that when it is powered up, half the battery life is gone. 

Fast charging lithium batteries is fraught with risk anyhow. It was even a problem for Boeing's 787.  

Android much superior to iOS. LOL. That's a good one. 
    I was wondering what the heck was he talking about. Many of you have raised the idea that fast charging might be the culprit behind this. Interesting to find out if this is really so. Like many of you I have never been a fan of quick charging. We know these batteries get seriously hot. But with Samsung keeping any findings about these combustible phones quiet we all have to guess.  An independent body has to test these things to see where the problem lies. One of these causing someone's death will be too late. 
  • Reply 88 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    cali said:
    maestro64 said:

Not sure people realize, this is going to affect Apple as well. I was on the flight last week coming out of Canada on a United flight and the attendant told everyone to power off their phones and we could not use them until we landed. They did not specifically call out any specific phone. The week before a co-worker on a delta flight said they physically collected all Samsung phones, made people put them in a bin, they said they could not trust that people would not use their phone on the flight.

If these things keep happening the FAA will ban the use of any device on the plane.

Looks like the attendants need some education. I don't mind Samsung phones being banned at all.

You realize it up to the pilot on how they want to handle some of these situation, Once the Door close the pilot runs the show and if tell the attendant he wants all electronics turned off, that is what they do. I do not fly every day, but fly enough and what each flight does even on the same airline is different. As another example. some flight they do not allow you to wear over the ear head phones on take off and landing. ear buds are ok, why they claim you can not hear the instruction with over the ear headphone. Other flights they say they are okay and others say no audio device in you ears during take off and landing.

The fact I is hard to tell and iphone from a Samsung at 5 feet, the flight crews are not interested in taking chances it just easier to say turn them all off.

• Reply 89 of 101
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    maestro64 said:
    cali said:
    maestro64 said:

Not sure people realize, this is going to affect Apple as well. I was on the flight last week coming out of Canada on a United flight and the attendant told everyone to power off their phones and we could not use them until we landed. They did not specifically call out any specific phone. The week before a co-worker on a delta flight said they physically collected all Samsung phones, made people put them in a bin, they said they could not trust that people would not use their phone on the flight.

If these things keep happening the FAA will ban the use of any device on the plane.

Looks like the attendants need some education. I don't mind Samsung phones being banned at all.

You realize it up to the pilot on how they want to handle some of these situation, Once the Door close the pilot runs the show and if tell the attendant he wants all electronics turned off, that is what they do. I do not fly every day, but fly enough and what each flight does even on the same airline is different. As another example. some flight they do not allow you to wear over the ear head phones on take off and landing. ear buds are ok, why they claim you can not hear the instruction with over the ear headphone. Other flights they say they are okay and others say no audio device in you ears during take off and landing.

The fact I is hard to tell and iphone from a Samsung at 5 feet, the flight crews are not interested in taking chances it just easier to say turn them all off.

People just don't comply. There's not a lot of difference here between these phones that are known to spontaneously combust (they are unpredictable bombs) and simply telling people they can carry a gun on board so long as the put it away and don't discharge it.

Many people think a phone is off when the screen is off. Many people don't want to hear flight crew instructions. And of course, many people do not understand the real danger of being in a pressurized metal tube in the stratosphere moving at appreciable percentages of the speed of sound surrounded by thousands of pounds of potentially explosive materials and machinery moving at tens of thousands of RPMs next to high pressure, high temperature gas that could melt your body instantly. We've gotten really good at protecting people from these dangers, but they nonetheless exist. 
  • Reply 90 of 101
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    This is what you get when you squeeze a large battery into a thin phone with a processor that runs hot and charge it at a ridiculous fast rate.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    512ke said:
    In any event, Samsung's profits are affected by their smart phone sales. And the brand image of Samsung rises or falls with their flagship phones. Their investors care. The press certainly is devoting a ton of negative covering to Samsung. This is a big deal for Samsung, on the level of, get rid of management if the problem doesn't get fixed.

And for public safety it's huge as well -- 

What I don't get is, why is Samsung trying to downplay this, instead of getting those dangerous devices OUT of customers' hands BEFORE something truly terrible happens.

I certainly would NEVER wish a plane to crash but... if one does... that's the death of the brand Samsung. Of course that would be the LEAST important part of a  disaster compared to peoples' lives. From the company's point of view, it's a reason to take much more aggressive action to recall even the replacement devices!
    If a plane crashed the media would report that there were more iPhones on the plane than Samsung phones.  Therefore, in all probability, the cause of the crash was an iPhone. 
  • Reply 92 of 101

That's how I interpreted @anantksundaram's comment, too.

Even without this what-if scenario I feel that we're on a precipices where the FAA may want to ban all personal devices with lithium batteries from being turned-on and used during a flight, and possibly confiscated while in flight, if we get other batteries from even a single other vendor having as few as a couple incidents on planes. They have to put safety first, and if they can't tell which devices are (relatively) guaranteed to be safe, the only move is to do a blanket ban. I wouldn't be surprised if the FAA creates their own testing certification specifically for CE.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 93 of 101
    slurpy said:

Samsung phones explode on planes, zero effect on stock price. Some fuck-all analyst throws some predictions out of his ass, or some bullshit anti-Apple headline gets published, and Apple stock takes a nose dive. Sounds about right. 
    Because Samsung will count all the replacements as units shipped.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Soli said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the FAA creates their own testing certification specifically for CE.
    I agree with you: that's where we're headed. That wouldn't be such a bad solution.
    edited October 2016 Soli
  • Reply 95 of 101
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    The best option for Samsung is to recall all note 7's and write off the loss. It's a damaged brand and there only hope is to spend the rest of the year making the next "note" safe.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    The best option for Samsung is to recall all note 7's and write off the loss. It's a damaged brand and there only hope is to spend the rest of the year making the next "note" safe.
    The Galaxy brand may have to go away entirely if they want to recover. I don't see Galaxy S8 or Galaxy Note 9 making customers feel as safe moving forward.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Soli said:
    The Galaxy brand may have to go away entirely if they want to recover. I don't see Galaxy S8 or Galaxy Note 9 making customers feel as safe moving forward.
    As there appears to be no issue with the S7 or S7 edge the whole galaxy s range, I would say is safe from the main note fall out (pun intended).
    As an oddity here, in the fact I own both an iPhone and a Galaxy S phone (work and personal and never the twain shall meet) what is happening to the note doesn't bother me. I wouldn't buy a Note anyway but if was I would wait until the next model and then wait anow extra month just to make sure there wasn't any issues.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Soli said:
    As there appears to be no issue with the S7 or S7 edge the whole galaxy s range, I would say is safe from the main note fall out (pun intended).
    As an oddity here, in the fact I own both an iPhone and a Galaxy S phone (work and personal and never the twain shall meet) what is happening to the note doesn't bother me. I wouldn't buy a Note anyway but if was I would wait until the next model and then wait anow extra month just to make sure there wasn't any issues.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    The question would be are they isolated incidents or indicative of another issue?
    If it's an issue then Samsung is in for one hell of a bad year and yes the Galaxy brand as a whole could then be in a terminal spiral.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    The question would be are they isolated incidents or indicative of another issue?
    If it's an issue then Samsung is in for one hell of a bad year and yes the Galaxy brand as a whole could then be in a terminal spiral.
    Your question is the kind posed by Samsung's beancounters to see how much they are willing to spend to stem off a larger potential of lawsuits from property damage and human life lose. My comment was about the branding. When a brand becomes too tarnished—regardless of facts—you have to rename a brand in order to save a product.