Headphone picks for iPhone 7 users missing the 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jdiamond said:
    who's "forcing" anybody? sounds like you and Woz need to look that word up. 
    Apple removed the choice of wired audio.  The lightning adapter is acceptable, but then you can't charge.  Sure, we can choose to stop using Apple devices instead, but that's asking a lot.  So we are being "forced" to (1) give up on high quality audio, or (2) leave the Apple eco-system.  That sounds like a force to me.  In fact, modern Apple is acting like Microsoft - changing their products in a way that further's their own ambitions instead of actually making life better for users.  Steve Jobs didn't have to think that way - he knew that if you make a good product that people like, it sells well and you make profits.

Your arguement is like saying US laws don't "force" anyone to do anything because in theory you can always leave the US and go somewhere else.  Well, the "force" is saying "if you want to stay in the US, you HAVE to do this."

I really don't understand the people rushing to defend Apple in this - how is getting a device with no headphone jack improving your life?  Every poll I've seen online shows around 70% of iPhone owners have an issue with this.  Just because you don't care about audio quality doesn't mean that no one does.

I'm perfectly willing to turn my habits upside and buy all new equipment just to stay in the Apple Eco-system, but only when Apple can provide something that isn't a step down in quality or convenience.

70% of ALL iPhone owners have an issue with the removal of the headphone jack? Where is your source for this? I've only seen one actual poll conducted by Macnn in which less than 1/4 of over 1,000 average iPhone owners surveyed claimed to have any real issue with it. That's quite a difference from what you're claiming.

And frankly, if your claim is that people concerned about the loss of the headphone jack are mainly motivated by quality of sound, then they should have been moving to Lightning long before this. I can agree with various negative impacts of the headphone jack removal, but loss of quality is absolutely not one of them.
    edited October 2016 cali
  • Reply 22 of 58
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    It's not the use of Apple's adapter that bothers me with the iPhone 7 and high-quality IEC earphones from Shure--it's the degradation in sound quality, and I wonder why this isn't getting more press coverage. The degradation is hardly surprising when you consider that D to A conversion is now being handled by a microchip in the adapter, which probably has a manufacturing cost of $2, in total, for the whole thing. So uncompressed music files on the way to your audiophile earphones are now being D to A processed by a chip that costs X cents to make. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    jdiamond said:
    Apple removed the choice of wired audio.  The lightning adapter is acceptable, but then you can't charge.  Sure, we can choose to stop using Apple devices instead, but that's asking a lot.  So we are being "forced" to (1) give up on high quality audio, or (2) leave the Apple eco-system.  That sounds like a force to me.  In fact, modern Apple is acting like Microsoft - changing their products in a way that further's their own ambitions instead of actually making life better for users.  Steve Jobs didn't have to think that way - he knew that if you make a good product that people like, it sells well and you make profits.

Your arguement is like saying US laws don't "force" anyone to do anything because in theory you can always leave the US and go somewhere else.  Well, the "force" is saying "if you want to stay in the US, you HAVE to do this."

I really don't understand the people rushing to defend Apple in this - how is getting a device with no headphone jack improving your life?  Every poll I've seen online shows around 70% of iPhone owners have an issue with this.  Just because you don't care about audio quality doesn't mean that no one does.

I'm perfectly willing to turn my habits upside and buy all new equipment just to stay in the Apple Eco-system, but only when Apple can provide something that isn't a step down in quality or convenience.

70% of ALL iPhone owners have an issue with the removal of the headphone jack? Where is your source for this? I've only seen one actual poll conducted by Macnn in which less than 1/4 of over 1,000 average iPhone owners surveyed claimed to have any real issue with it. That's quite a difference from what you're claiming.

And frankly, if your claim is that people concerned about the loss of the headphone jack are mainly motivated by quality of sound, then they should have been moving to Lightning long before this. I can agree with various negative impacts of the headphone jack removal, but loss of quality is absolutely not one of them.
    70% of all iPhone owners wish Apple would let Adobe include Flash on the phone. 98% of those people think Apple is doing it to spite Adobe.
    85% of people want Apple to include Blu-ray on the Mac. 94% of those people think Apple is doing it to force you to buy media from iTunes Store.
    77% of all iPhone uses want Apple to include a removal battery. 95% of those people think Apple does it to force you to buy a new iPhone when the battery dies 12 months later.
    63% of all iPhone users with 3+ year old devices feel their phone got slower when the latest iOS update added new features. 87% of them believe Apple purposely makes their phone slower so they are forced to buy new iPhones.

Conspiracy theorists and bullshit stats always go hand in hand.
    lkruppnolamacguyapplepieguyredraider11pscooter63watto_cobrahill60roundaboutnow
  • Reply 24 of 58
    If my understanding is correct, one reason the 3.5mm was removed was to increase the ability to keep water and mosture out. 

As someone who has lost 2 phones now due to water damage, and knowing many others that have as well, I do like this advantage. I know you can get certain cases that do the same, as I have purchased them, but they add bulk and negatively affect speaker performance.
    applepieguyredraider11watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 58
    jibberj said:
    If my understanding is correct, one reason the 3.5mm was removed was to increase the ability to keep water and mosture out. 

As someone who has lost 2 phones now due to water damage, and knowing many others that have as well, I do like this advantage. I know you can get certain cases that do the same, as I have purchased them, but they add bulk and negatively affect speaker performance.
    Considering that the 3.5mm port is considerably more simple than the Lightning port, I'd argue that it wasn't because it couldn't be made to keep water from seeping into the main housing. If there's any argument for removing the 3.5mm jack in terms of water, I'd think it would be in getting the water out of the thin, cylindrical port after its been submerged. The shallow and relatively wide Lightning port would not hold water as easily.

If you look at the internals components of the iPhone—which you can start by comparing the external camera placement on the iPhone 7 v iPhone 6S—ou can see that removing the 3.5mm port component was necessary for including a much better camera, better speakers, a better haptic motor (which took some battery space last year), a larger battery, and the new barometric pressure component that now sits in the place of the 3.5mm port component. There are probably many other gains that we may never know about.
    watto_cobrasuddenly newton
  • Reply 26 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    For mediation (binaural beat music) I found Bose AE2 (wired) are great. For everything else I use my EarPods (SE).
  • Reply 27 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    badmonk said:
    Aren't some readers reporting that in-line mic and volume controls are working on conventionally jacked headphones through the included adapter
    Yes. Been using my wife's iPhone 7 adapter with my iPhone 6+ headset because my 3.5mm port was dead. It sounds even better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mac_128 said:
    jdiamond said:
    Personally, I love the ATH-M50x headphones, and have a pair myself, but they aren't wireless, so I'm not sure why they're included in this article.

I also did many tests on my awesome car stereo and iPhone of wired vs bluetooth, and the bluetooth quality was horrible!  It was like throwing away the entire stereo and replacing it by a small boom box.  So I did some Googling and found out that there are many reasons you won't even get the 350 kbit/sec max of bluetooth 4.  First, the receiver and sender must support identical codecs.  And second, they must negotiate a minimum compatible transfer rate.  Some receivers, even if they could support the full rate, may just default to the 50 kbit/sec transfer rate.  And finally, there is the quality of the codec itself, which can be extremely lossy.

I really think Woz said it best - don't FORCE people into wireless until a standard exists that has quality comparable to wired.  That's why people throwing around the floppy disk analogy are wrong - when Steve ditched the floppy disk, there were new storage mediums that had higher capacity and were faster than flash.  What bluetooth needs is a STANDARD, LOSSLESS codec that can be supported across the board.

If Woz were in charge, we'd probably still be using a command line interface on the Apple 8, with a fully accessible chassis and entirely modular user replaceable/updatable components, with a 12 slot expansion bay.
    Can you believe this is what iHaters complain about? That Apple doesn't make geek gadgets!
  • Reply 29 of 58
    thedba said:
    badmonk said:
    Aren't some readers reporting that in-line mic and volume controls are working on conventionally jacked headphones through the included adapter
    I use my old earpods with the included adapter and everything works as before. I think the article's wrong on this. 
    It does mention THIRD party, so we'll have to wait for someone to chime in who can share their experience, as I don't have any 3rd party to test.
    I have a third party set Bowers and Wilkin. Work like champ.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    This is what the iPhone would look like if Woz had taken over after Steve Jobs died.

lkrupp
  • Reply 31 of 58
    jdiamond said:

Dude the lightning headset sounds even better than 3.5mm one...a step down? WRONG!
  • Reply 32 of 58
    fallenjt said:
    jdiamond said:

Dude the lightning headset sounds even better than 3.5mm one...a step down? WRONG!
    If that's true, can it 1) be discernible out of a laboratory test, and 2) the result of better headphones, not because of the Lightning port?

I've seen one article that shows the DAC/AMP/ADC in the 3.5mm adapter is ever so slightly less capable than the DAC/AMP/ADC for the 3.5mm headphone jack in the iPhone 6S, but not enough that it could be discernible—just on paper.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 58
    charlesn said:
    It's not the use of Apple's adapter that bothers me with the iPhone 7 and high-quality IEC earphones from Shure--it's the degradation in sound quality, and I wonder why this isn't getting more press coverage. The degradation is hardly surprising when you consider that D to A conversion is now being handled by a microchip in the adapter, which probably has a manufacturing cost of $2, in total, for the whole thing. So uncompressed music files on the way to your audiophile earphones are now being D to A processed by a chip that costs X cents to make. 
    Fucking bullshit. I used both and I can tell that Lightning headset sounds better on my 6+. A step down? Pure troll.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Soli said:
    This is what the iPhone would look like if Woz had taken over after Steve Jobs died.

Don't forget to add a physical keyboard to it.
    Solinolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 58
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We can beat 3.5mm subject to the death but at the end, it's the nature of Tech to evolve. Every phone, tablet and laptops in 2018 announcements will be without 3.5mm headphone jack. Inevitable.
    pscooter63nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    wood1208 said:
    We can beat 3.5mm subject to the death but at the end, it's the nature of Tech to evolve. Every phone, tablet and laptops in 2018 announcements will be without 3.5mm headphone jack. Inevitable.
    True That.  The debate is actually over, some just don't know that yet.  I completely believe that now that the wire is gone, Apple will push quality higher.  It'll just take a few years to get there.  Somewhere at one Infinite Loop, the roadmap already has an endpoint on it.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    TomSawyerTomSawyer Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    It took me a while to figure out what a "headphone pick" is — recommendation.
  • Reply 38 of 58
  • Reply 39 of 58
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    thedba said:
    badmonk said:
    I use my old earpods with the included adapter and everything works as before. I think the article's wrong on this. 
    It does mention THIRD party, so we'll have to wait for someone to chime in who can share their experience, as I don't have any 3rd party to test.
    My Shute SE535 with the Shure iPhone adapter work perfectly fine with the Apple lightning-to-audio-jack adapter. 
    And that includes the microphone and the 3 control buttons. 
  • Reply 40 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:

Well that’s the problem with all techies like Wozniak. They design things with other techies in mind and have no clue how to design something the average person can use. Wozniak may have cobbled together the original Apple I and Apple II but it was Jobs who knew what it needed to look like and and how it needed to function for the general public to accept it. That’s why the Apple II is credited for being the first “successful” mass market personal computer. There were numerous wannabes floating around, some for years before the Apple II, but they were without exception hobbyist experiments, difficult to program and use. None of them sold well even to the hobbyist crowd. Once the Apple II was out and successful the flood gates opened because others saw how it was done. You know, just like after the iPhone made its debut.
    Solinolamacguywatto_cobra