Two more Galaxy Note 7 phones catch fire, Samsung allegedly stonewalling users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter."
  • Reply 22 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    Their brand is going to take a hammering from this. No leadership, no care, no respect.
    Not if no one is talking about it. And no one is talking about it. There’s even wild speculation from Samsung fanboys that Apple is somehow behind this. Read it on c|net this afternoon.
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    mobius said:
    wood1208 said:
    Nothing against Samsung but if these genuine exploding Galaxy 7 continues than(at least) better FAA restricts Galaxy 7 to carry on board of passenger plane. Airport Security can confiscate it like other materials not allowed on plane for the safety of passengers and millions dollar plane and if plane crashes over populated area than those innocent people.
    You do realise that would entail searching every person and bag and then identifying which phones were actually Note 7's rather than a similar looking phone. I'm not sure that is practical given everyone has a smartphone, and some carry more than one.
    I am saying at airport security checkpoint where they can easily differentiate Galazy 7 vs other phones like many questionable items taken away for safety on airplane. I am sure if you put in your checked-in baggage than God and luck is all they have for passenger's safety to not explode Galaxy 7 in mid-air.
    edited October 2016 calironn
  • Reply 24 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    lkrupp said:
    How is this any different from a toy recall?  In other words, why is this company being given a blind eye?
    Because they're not Apple.
    Yep. The so-called Touch Disease lawsuits are being trumpeted all over the world by the tech media, including 9TO5MAC.  Not a peep about the exploding Samsung phones. No reports of law firms seeking victims to join a class action. No class action filings being reported. C|net is completely mum on the subject but that twink Brian Tong is bashing Apple on all fronts.
    The "Touch Disease" has become a catchall for the consumer for any issue with the screen, but typically, it occurs at the top. It is likely an issue with bending, over time, but I doubt that the lack of shielding in the iPhone 6's is actually the cause. The overall numbers of claims appears to be in the low 10's of thousands, which is still a large number, but as it is an iPhone with an average of over a year's use, I don't see that this will have much of an impact on Apple. Apple should be able to come up with a solution, once they have narrowed down what the actual issue is.

I doubt that all of the plaintiffs will meet the requirements for replacement or for compensation for paid replacements, and paid repairs by third parties is going to be a sticker, but I would expect Apple to ultimately provide a satisfactory solution for most of the plaintiffs.

Obviously, "Touch Disease" is not a danger to the public, nor will it have anywhere close to the impact that Samsung's recall has had already. The issue with replacements failing, is a frickin disaster for Samsung, and I'm having trouble seeing how they are going to solve it. It has the potential for transportation regulators to throw a wide net, and ban all smartphones, which would be a fucking disaster for the traveling public.
    caliduervoDeelronpscooter63magman1979palomine
  • Reply 25 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    Their brand is going to take a hammering from this. No leadership, no care, no respect.
    Not if no one is talking about it. And no one is talking about it. There’s even wild speculation from Samsung fanboys that Apple is somehow behind this. Read it on c|net this afternoon.
    We seriously need to post #BombGate all over social media.

Parents should call schools sabout their concern of kids bringing Galaxy phones to school.

we need to spread the word not only because we hate this scumbag company but because these phones are dangerous and deadly.
    gilly017magman1979watto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Seems quite ridiculous.  Spent a few minutes on CPSC.gov and FAA.gov to submit report/question as to why they haven't done enough to stop these exploding Samsung devices.  I guess they're waiting for deaths or a million more complaints to do anything with substance.  I'm not sure but Samsung may be one of the worst companies ever.  Why anyone would trust their personal information on a device made by this company is beyond me.
    baconstanggilly017magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    A 13-year-old using a Note 7, with the knowledge of this situation? I think the parents should be held accountable in that case.
    Until this week there doesn't appear to have been any incidents. Why would they think -- after a widespread recall and approval by the CPSC and the four major carriers  -- that a certified "safe" version of the Note 7 would be dangerous. I could see if they had been holding on to the original version of the Note 7, not an updated version that they had been using for about a week.
    Deelronbaconstangnetmagestompygilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dewme said:
    This is a black eye on the CPSC. They should have insisted that Samsung provide sufficient peer reviewed evidence from the root cause failure mode analysis of the first round of defective exploding phones and the prescribed modifications before allowing the now possibly defective replacement phones to be imported. The speed at which Samsung was able to deliver the supposed "fixed" products into the sales channel leads me to believe that consumer safety is being short circuited for reasons known only to the CPSC and Samsung. Someone's not doing their job and consumer health and public safety is being compromised. Totally Unacceptable.

Sadly the only thing the CPSC people are doing is pushing a leftist agenda. Like many federal departments they have lost their way over the last decade or so. 
    macseekernetmagetallest skilh2p
  • Reply 29 of 53
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    The only company that treats customers worse than Samsung is Philips.
    Samsung and Philips are the two biggest Turds in technology.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philips-infineon-samsung-face-eu-antitrust-fines-050110597--finance.html?ref=gs

https://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/eu-tv-cartel-fine/

anton zuykovtallest skilperkedelgilly017brucemcstarwarswatto_cobrasmaffei
  • Reply 30 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This would actually be pretty funny except for the fact people are getting injured by these phones.

Apparently AT&T has confirmed they're halting sales.

All carriers need to follow suit immediately. I also think this phone should have a full blown recall with customers getting a full refund, not just an exchange offered a different Samsung phone. Lastly, I think this phone should be banned from all flights and confiscated if found at the TSA security checkpoint. These phones are outright dangerous, not only to the user, but anyone around one. 

cali said:
    "Customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter."
    If this were true, they'd pull these phones immediately and give everyone a refund. 
    edited October 2016 Deelronronnmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 said:
    dewme said:
    This is a black eye on the CPSC. They should have insisted that Samsung provide sufficient peer reviewed evidence from the root cause failure mode analysis of the first round of defective exploding phones and the prescribed modifications before allowing the now possibly defective replacement phones to be imported. The speed at which Samsung was able to deliver the supposed "fixed" products into the sales channel leads me to believe that consumer safety is being short circuited for reasons known only to the CPSC and Samsung. Someone's not doing their job and consumer health and public safety is being compromised. Totally Unacceptable.

Sadly the only thing the CPSC people are doing is pushing a leftist agenda. Like many federal departments they have lost their way over the last decade or so. 
    well that certainly sounds like unsupported right-winger nonsense. 
    Deelronronnbaconstangmnbob1tmaypalominemrboba1
  • Reply 32 of 53
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    wizard69 said:

well that certainly sounds like unsupported right-winger nonsense. 
    It certainly does. If anything, the CPSC is following the Right Wing Rule book: let companies handle their own problems without governmental interference. They were overly hands-off, allowing Samsung to institute their own recall before insisting they make it official once the fires started piling up like crazy. How they could have 90+ incidents before being made to do the right thing sounds very, very Right Wing/Republican laissez-faire SOP.
    edited October 2016 baconstangmnbob1tmaypalomine
  • Reply 33 of 53
    They're not phones, they're munitions.
    quadra 610baconstangtallest skilmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    They're not phones, they're munitions.
    It’s a shame South Korea has an embargo with the North. They could’ve taken care of Kim quite handily by now…

Oh, wait, even he uses Apple products.
    magman1979watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 53
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    wizard69 said:
    dewme said:

Right wing nonsense! Don't blame the CPSC for SAMSUNG's mess! Most likely the CPSC has a budget that has continually been decreased by the Republican controlled house of representatives and the filibustering senate. Neither of them have been able to agree on a true budget in the last decade and see no problem with across the board cuts that make no sense. I'm hoping the next eight years could be better but based on our choices for candidates I'm going to think the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when it's not that bad. (I can think up some pretty bad stuff.)

ronnbaconstangtmaypalominemrboba1
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Has anyone - including Same-Suhg ever stated exactly why/how this is happening?  I mean it must be more than just a lithium battery issue. Otherwise they could just ship thousands of battery's to carriers and have them swap them out. 

I mean is it software not stopping the charge cycle once it hits 100%? Because the explosions are happening even when the phone is NOT charging. 

Its very concerning.  But more from an "air bag recall" type standpoint. In other words the sir bags recalled were in different models different car companies. So if this is "battery type" Specific and Google, HTC, others were using the same battery the public should be warned: "it's happening to these batteries specifically". Something like that. 

But it sounds like the way they're connected or maybe the "fast charging" issue (full charge in 15 minutes). Id just be interested in knowing what they know. Obviously they know something or there wouldn't be a "replacement". If they are just putting in different batteries and these replacements are also exploding/ catching fire - what's different about this model than their other models?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    esoom said:
    The sun came up this morning, the sky is blue and Samsung is still treating customers like crap.
    Have to say I agree with you. Halt the sale of these phones, issue a recall of the whole line and get busy fixing this problem. The fact that replacement devices are going up in smoke as well makes you wonder why the rush again (seems like they rush the original phones to market) to replace these phones without enough testing. Something is fundamentally wrong with their thinking. 'Customer safety our first priority' then recall the damn things.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53

lkrupp said:
    How is this any different from a toy recall?  In other words, why is this company being given a blind eye?
    Because they're not Apple.
    Yep. The so-called Touch Disease lawsuits are being trumpeted all over the world by the tech media, including 9TO5MAC.  Not a peep about the exploding Samsung phones. No reports of law firms seeking victims to join a class action. No class action filings being reported. C|net is completely mum on the subject but that twink Brian Tong is bashing Apple on all fronts.
    Brian Tong is an a**hole. It's par for the course to bash Apple on that site. I scoured it a few days ago barely an article about 'exploding' Note 7s. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53

dewme said:

Please this is Samsung who apparently can do no wrong in America. The Note 7 'numero uno' smartphone the one to get. iPhone meh. Now it looks like no. 1 was rushed to market without due diligence with regard to safety. We will see how long they stay on the sidelines till these thing cause a fatal crash or something. if it was Apple in this unfortunate situation the lawsuits would be flying, the media would be in a frenzy, the stock would be down and Apple would be cast as insensitive to customers by all. Sammy continues to get a pass imho.
    baconstangmagman1979watto_cobrasuddenly newton
  • Reply 40 of 53
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Apple is a US company. Samsung is a Korean company with a US presence. Not much money here (maybe not much is SK either, but that is a different issue).
    Any law firm undertaking a class action suit such as this has to look at the not the likelihood of winning, but instead the likelihood of being paid. Since Samsung is predominantly a SK company, most of the money is there. Not much chance of being paid, is there :(
    edited October 2016