Samsung suspends production of Galaxy Note 7, AT&T and T-Mobile stop offering replacements

Posted:
in iPhone
Following a recall and efforts to fix dangerous flaws with its flagship phablet Galaxy Note 7, Samsung is now said to have temporarily suspended production of the jumbo-sized handset entirely, while U.S. carriers AT&T and T-Mobile have announced they will no longer offer replacement units.

An unnamed source said to the Yonhap News Agency in South Korea that the suspension of production of the Note 7 was done in cooperation with authorities in the U.S. and China, according to CNBC.

In addition, AT&T and T-Mobile announced on Sunday they will no longer offer replacement Note 7 units to users who have potentially affected devices, according to CNN. The changes occur as reports suggest the new replacement models continue to present dangerous issues.

Earlier Sunday, reports indicated that two more Galaxy Note 7 phones had caught fire, one of the incidents sending a Kentucky man to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Word first began to surface on Friday that AT&T was considering halting Samsung Galaxy Note 7 sales due to safety risks. Previously, replacement offers were in place from all four major U.S. carriers, under the assumption that newer models had properly addressed the flaws.

Reports have indicated that Samsung rushed the Galaxy Note 7 to market in an attempt to capitalize on what officials at the company believed was Apple's "boring" iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus update. Among the new features in the Galaxy Note 7 is a high capacity, quick-charge battery 16 percent larger than last year's Galaxy Note.

The issue has been a full-blown public relations nightmare for Samsung, forcing the company to issue a global recall for the Galaxy Note 7 just before the release of its primary competitor, the iPhone 7 Plus. Among launch units, batteries were found to potentially catch fire or even explode while charging --?an issue that may continue to exist with newly revised models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Off to pop champagne.
    lollivercornchipcanadiandudewatto_cobraireland[Deleted User]lordjohnwhorfinlongpathjbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Public relations nightmare is an understatement.

So where are all the class action lawsuits?
    lollivercalicanadiandudejfc1138watto_cobra[Deleted User]lordjohnwhorfinSpamSandwichlongpathjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 56
    So basically the Apple reigns as the unopposed mobile boss of 2016. Ironic given the incremental improvements of the 7 series versus the 6s. If Apple comes out with major upgrades for the next gen, Samsung is totally screwed.
    clemynx[Deleted User]lordjohnwhorfinSpamSandwichlongpath
  • Reply 4 of 56
    fafotfafot Posts: 19member
    Thank you Samsung for this great free advertisement for the iPhone 7! Hope you will do the same next year and rushing release of your new phone just before iPhone 8.

lollivermejsriccanadiandudewatto_cobrauraharalongpathjbdragonmagman1979Deelronjony0
  • Reply 5 of 56

The problem is Apple almost never acknowledges a problem until sued in court and forced to.  Three 2011 MacBook pro is one example.  

Other companies are not like that. I had an issue with a Garmin product that is well known and when I called customer service long after the year warranty was up they said they knew of the issue and replaced it for free with the newer more advanced model. No company can make perfect products but Apple's refusal to acknowledge issues thousands are having does then no credit. 

cornchipThe_Watchersingularityspice-boysirlance99
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I just took back my replacement Note7 today and have the iPhone 7 Plus on order.  I left iPhones 3 years ago, I wanted more screen size, and I've had nearly every Android flagship since then.  I'm looking forward to Apple's vertical integration again and my phone having zero carrier bloat.  I still have my GS7 Edge so it will be fun to live with both.
    gilly017lolliverpatchythepiratecalicanadiandudewatto_cobraredgeminipapscooter63icoco3magman1979
  • Reply 7 of 56

The problem is Apple almost never acknowledges a problem until sued in court and forced to.  Three 2011 MacBook pro is one example.  

Other companies are not like that. I had an issue with a Garmin product that is well known and when I called customer service long after the year warranty was up they said they knew of the issue and replaced it for free with the newer more advanced model. No company can make perfect products but Apple's refusal to acknowledge issues thousands are having does then no credit. 

Are you drunk? Out of your wits?
    lolliverbaconstangmejsriccaliperkedelequality72521canadianduderonnwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 8 of 56
    I hate to say it, but karma bites and Samsung is getting everything they deserved. To Steve Jobs, it's a damn shame you could not be alive today to see the implosion of Samsung. But I know full well you are smiling and laughing above the clouds because those damn copycats are getting EXACTLY what they deserved. You reap what you sow people. And Samsung is losing the thermonuclear war, which is especially ironic since the bombs are coming from their own factories. 
    edited October 2016 lollivermejsriccaliperkedeldreyfus2canadiandudewatto_cobraredgeminipaSpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This issue has nothing to do with Apple unless the failure mode turns out to be a component or technology that is shared between Apple and Samsung. This is Samsung's problem to fix and safety regulators should ensure that the fix prescribed by Samsung actually solves the root cause of the problem. There is no way that Apple would try to intentionally try to profit from Samsung's stumble. Problems happen all of the time and need to be fixed, not politicized. Apple is totally focused on their own products and their own problems. While I'm sure Apple is keeping a close eye on this Samsung issue because of potential common components, they will stay on the high road for sure. There's no value in unnecessarily mixing Apple and Samsung concerns together on this issue.

If Samsung does the right thing their sales will recover. Step one is admitting that they didn't fix the root cause of the problem and pulling the cord to stop production until the problem is resolved. This is exactly what any quality driven organization does, so let's see what Samsung does next. They can't afford three strikes on this issue.
    baconstangRayz2016canadiandudewatto_cobrachiapscooter63kudu
  • Reply 10 of 56
    misamisa Posts: 827member

That's not true. 

Most, if not all companies will not acknowledge a problem unless it's coming from multiple independent sources. Take the Tesla battery fires, and the earlier Sony Battery recall as examples where the product might work for a long period of time before a problem caused by how it's used creates the dangerous situation.

Compare that with Ford's Pinto gas tank, the car industry on the whole's airbag replacement (which spans more than 10 years worth of vehicles from nearly every manufacturer), the Whirlpool dishwasher fires, where the companies simply refused to acknowledge there was a problem and had to be sued. These were products known the be faulty, but continued to be sold.

You're unlikely to see the recalls for non-dangerous defects because the Apple iphone 6 touch disease and the 2011 Macbook GPU failures, the problems only start to show up at the mid-point of the product's expected life cycle of 3 years (for the phone) or (7 for the laptop.) Apple is not the only company that waits until there are repeated reports.

Various Chinese (Taiwan) brands like MSI have a really poor record of product reliability, and that is because reliability tends to scale inversely with popularity. Korean brands are no better. LG and Samsung have never recalled their flip phone products, despite nearly every single one of them failing to work on AT&T's original GSM rollout. Many US brands simply license white-label versions of the very same products and when that happens to be a popular brand, customers aren't aware that the same device is being sold under 30 some brands in the US.

Just imagine if toy and costume-jewelry companies recalled products every time they found lead or cadmium in their china-produced goods, they'd go out of business.

It's not defensible to just go "it's just business" and pay for any potential lawsuits, but to basically go "Apple is the only company..." is a fat out lie. You're not going to see a company recall an entire line of products if the defects aren't a safety issue, because sometimes those defects only affect products on X day of the week when Y had a shift, and Y sucked at doing their job.

It would be great if there was just a universal database that people could plug serial numbers into and find out of their product is still safe to use.
    perkedellolliverbaconstangcoolfactormatt2netmageronnwatto_cobrachiaredgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 56
    levilevi Posts: 344member

Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 
  • Reply 12 of 56

Wow!  Back to the drawing board  with that irreparable POS.

lolliverbaconstangclemynxwatto_cobralongpathcali
  • Reply 13 of 56
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    A professional and responsible company recalls a dangerous product, Samsung has really managed to let others make that decision for them after weeks of agony. I hope every consumer on the planet has these scumbags on the shitlist now. #aWallHuggerYesButAtLeastNotOnFire
    watto_cobrachialongpathcali
  • Reply 14 of 56
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Charlie33 said:
    I just took back my replacement Note7 today and have the iPhone 7 Plus on order.  I left iPhones 3 years ago, I wanted more screen size, and I've had nearly every Android flagship since then.  I'm looking forward to Apple's vertical integration again and my phone having zero carrier bloat.  I still have my GS7 Edge so it will be fun to live with both.
    Shame on you. You don't need to change phones twice a year. Think about the environment!
    coolfactor
  • Reply 15 of 56
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    vukasika said:
    So basically the Apple reigns as the unopposed mobile boss of 2016. Ironic given the incremental improvements of the 7 series versus the 6s. If Apple comes out with major upgrades for the next gen, Samsung is totally screwed.

I continued to be confused by these "incremental" vs. "major" improvements viewpoints. The 7 series has received a brand new, faster, 4-core CPU; vastly improved camera, with telephoto on the Plus model; a screen that produces "perfect" colours, etc. What "major" upgrades are people expecting from a device that already sets the benchmark for the entire industry?

We all complain about how slowly Apple rolls out upgrades, but there's one good thing — clearly they do their due diligence in safety testing. Do they catch every flaw? No, but do they ensure the product is not going to blow up in someone's hands? Yes.
    edited October 2016 matt2netmageronnwatto_cobrachiauraharatmayiqatedoidreylongpath
  • Reply 16 of 56
    levi said:

Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    ronnwatto_cobrachialongpathigorskycalinolamacguymainyehc
  • Reply 17 of 56
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Samsung deserves all of this, especially how they are treating customers who bought the Galaxy Note 7. This text message was inadvertently sent by a Samsung representative to the Kentucky man who was hospitalized:

"Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it"
    perkedelwatto_cobraSpamSandwichlongpathigorskycaliration al
  • Reply 18 of 56
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    Maybe they should ask Boeing for some advise
    :smile: 
    longpath
  • Reply 19 of 56
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

levi said:

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    Well, do you think people should sue Apple if iPhone 7 takes longer to produce?
    European perspective here, but I guess this whole class action thing is overkill: you get refunded and buy something else. No real damage done (except for those whose Note have really burnt, exploded, ...)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    What kind of shamelessness takes THIS FREAKING LONG to stop making by something that's KNOWN to be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

its sickening. 

watto_cobralongpathigorskycalipalomine