Samsung suspends production of Galaxy Note 7, AT&T and T-Mobile stop offering replacements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    clemynx said:
    Charlie33 said:
    I just took back my replacement Note7 today and have the iPhone 7 Plus on order.  I left iPhones 3 years ago, I wanted more screen size, and I've had nearly every Android flagship since then.  I'm looking forward to Apple's vertical integration again and my phone having zero carrier bloat.  I still have my GS7 Edge so it will be fun to live with both.
    Shame on you. You don't need to change phones twice a year. Think about the environment!
    Unless the older ones are stuck in a drawer all he's doing is providing a good supply of phones to the resale market. 
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

The problem is Apple almost never acknowledges a problem until sued in court and forced to.  Three 2011 MacBook pro is one example.  

Other companies are not like that. I had an issue with a Garmin product that is well known and when I called customer service long after the year warranty was up they said they knew of the issue and replaced it for free with the newer more advanced model. No company can make perfect products but Apple's refusal to acknowledge issues thousands are having does then no credit. 

Utter bullshit. If you have a phone explode in your face, would you recall it? Did iPhone ever have any SAFETY recall? You need to learn how to distinguish the difference between SAFETY recall and FUNCTIONALITY/TECHNICAL recall.
    watto_cobrachiamrboba1netmagecalinolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 56

vukasika said:
    So basically the Apple reigns as the unopposed mobile boss of 2016. Ironic given the incremental improvements of the 7 series versus the 6s. If Apple comes out with major upgrades for the next gen, Samsung is totally screwed.

I continued to be confused by these "incremental" vs. "major" improvements viewpoints. The 7 series has received a brand new, faster, 4-core CPU; vastly improved camera, with telephoto on the Plus model; a screen that produces "perfect" colours, etc. What "major" upgrades are people expecting from a device that already sets the benchmark for the entire industry?

We all complain about how slowly Apple rolls out upgrades, but there's one good thing — clearly they do their due diligence in safety testing. Do they catch every flaw? No, but do they ensure the product is not going to blow up in someone's hands? Yes.
    For many people, if the phone doesn't look different from the old, they call it "incremental". If Apple keep mostly the same internal components but update the new chassis, these people would jump onto it thinking it's a new phone.
    watto_cobrachianetmagecali
  • Reply 24 of 56

blitz1 said:

levi said:
    Public relations nightmare is an understatement.

So where are all the class action lawsuits?
    Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    Well, do you think people should sue Apple if iPhone 7 takes longer to produce?
    European perspective here, but I guess this whole class action thing is overkill: you get refunded and buy something else. No real damage done (except for those whose Note have really burnt, exploded, ...)
    Americans love class action. I hate it. There's no benefit to end user. I just got a check from ATT for class action and the amount in the check is $3.57....yup, can't even buy a Macchiato with the shitty amount and what the lawyers get: millions of $. 
    watto_cobrachiadewme
  • Reply 25 of 56
    vukasika said:
    So basically the Apple reigns as the unopposed mobile boss of 2016. Ironic given the incremental improvements of the 7 series versus the 6s. If Apple comes out with major upgrades for the next gen, Samsung is totally screwed.
    The A10 and the camera on the Plus are not incremental imo
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichlongpathpscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 56

The problem is Apple almost never acknowledges a problem until sued in court and forced to.  Three 2011 MacBook pro is one example.  

Other companies are not like that. I had an issue with a Garmin product that is well known and when I called customer service long after the year warranty was up they said they knew of the issue and replaced it for free with the newer more advanced model. No company can make perfect products but Apple's refusal to acknowledge issues thousands are having does then no credit. 

Are you drunk? Out of your wits?

In some cases, he is correct. I had to replace my $2k+ 2012 Macbook Pro Retina screen @ 15 months (never had to do that with a Dell BTW). An issue that was scarily common on the initial shipments. I went to 3 bestbuys and tested 3 like models. All had LG screens, all had the issue. Our course, I had the LG panel too.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 27 of 56
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    ...Samsung is now said to have temporarily suspended production of the jumbo-sized handset entirely...
    Why only temporarily? Surely no-one is going to get a 2nd replacement, or buy a new Note 7 now?

And yet, having asked those seemingly sensible questions, I know there are still people recklessly using original Note 7's, (or replacements) knowing that they may catch fire at any moment - yet in denial of the dangers. I guess they rationalise it as a low probability and therefore very unlikely to happen to them. But, the fact is on-one knows how likely this is since there may be more instances to come. We only know how many have occurred, been reported and been confirmed. If the phones hadn't been recalled there may have been many more. Anyone who is continuing to use their original Note 7 is crazy - and the same goes for the replacement units too.

caliwatto_cobraration alchia
  • Reply 28 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    At last Samsung made decision before someone's Galaxy 7 on board plane catches fire in mid-air bring it down killing innocent people on board and destroying multi-million dollar plane.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Attack of the Apple fanboyz. Since when is exploding phones something to celebrate. It's the equivalent of Russia cheering every time a NASA astronaut dies. It's not cool, it's tragic. The competition AND cooperation with Samsung has kept innovation running and also carved the rules for doing business internationally. It makes both companies step up their game at a higher level while also keeping each other in check on a corporate level. This is good.

When a tragic flaw takes shape, all it does is hurt this spirit. Samsung tried to get a jump using new technology and fell on their face. This is not good for anybody. It gives Apple a small boost on their ESP for a minute, but the impact to progress takes a hit. Instead of spending 2 billion on new technology, Samsung now has to spend money on putting out this fire. (intended)

Someone also mentioned Tesla. This is another company trying to shape the future. Again, we should celebrate their accomplishments and not demonized their failures. It seems like as soon as anyone becomes a challenger to Apple, they immediately get tossed into the bad guy category. And Apple can do no wrong.
    dewme
  • Reply 30 of 56
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I have had plenty of Apple products replaced, no questions asked. Usually within the AppleCare timeframe. I had a screen replaced for free and multiple iPhones. Never had a problem.

Just because you had an issue with an out of warrantee product doesn't mean Apple "almost never acknowledges a problem". No customer service may not acknowledge a widespread problem because it isn't a widespread problem that is a safety concern. On the other hand, I expect Samsung to recall the Note 7 completely due to battery malfunction of a brand new device.
    pscooter63tmaycaliwatto_cobraanantksundaramchia
  • Reply 31 of 56
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Attack of the Apple fanboyz. Since when is exploding phones something to celebrate. It's the equivalent of Russia cheering every time a NASA astronaut dies. It's not cool, it's tragic. The competition AND cooperation with Samsung has kept innovation running and also carved the rules for doing business internationally. It makes both companies step up their game at a higher level while also keeping each other in check on a corporate level. This is good.

When a tragic flaw takes shape, all it does is hurt this spirit. Samsung tried to get a jump using new technology and fell on their face. This is not good for anybody. It gives Apple a small boost on their ESP for a minute, but the impact to progress takes a hit. Instead of spending 2 billion on new technology, Samsung now has to spend money on putting out this fire. (intended)

Someone also mentioned Tesla. This is another company trying to shape the future. Again, we should celebrate their accomplishments and not demonized their failures. It seems like as soon as anyone becomes a challenger to Apple, they immediately get tossed into the bad guy category. And Apple can do no wrong.
    Who died here? No - Samsung is a shit company and is the one that deserves to die. They shouldn't be the one to bring real competition to the market. All they do is throw shit on the wall and push out features (not just talking about phones here) that people don't want or won't work as advertised.

I hope Google's phone is a hit. I hope Microsoft can push out some good, solid products. I hope the HP laptops sell well. Those companies are at least trying to push the boundaries. Samsung is the worst type of company (see sog35 above) and the conglomerate should collapse in on itself.
    edited October 2016 mainyehcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    sog35 said:
    mobius said:
    ...Samsung is now said to have temporarily suspended production of the jumbo-sized handset entirely...
    Why only temporarily? Surely no-one is going to get a 2nd replacement, or buy a new Note 7 now?

And yet, having asked those seemingly sensible questions, I know there are still people recklessly using original Note 7's, (or replacements) knowing that they may catch fire at any moment - yet in denial of the dangers. I guess they rationalise it as a low probability and therefore very unlikely to happen to them. But, the fact is on-one knows how likely this is since there may be more instances to come. We only know how many have occurred, been reported and been confirmed. If the phones hadn't been recalled there may have been many more. Anyone who is continuing to use their original Note 7 is crazy - and the same goes for the replacement units too.

Samsung needs to do a full recall with full refund, no questions asked.
    No receipt? who cares, full refund.
    Did not buy from authorized seller? full refund.

Then after 30 days they need to remotely BRICK every single Note7 that is still in the wild.

These phones are literally fire hazards and hazmat devices. They need to be eradicated.

Anyone using these phones after the 30 day grace period should face criminal charges.
    I guess for once I'll say to you "right".
  • Reply 34 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Are you kidding? Only Apple gets sued. Just look at AI’s front page article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This could have happened to Apple, whatever is igniting these Sammy phones that component(s) could have included in an iPhone. I'm not a fan of that copy cat company but gloating for this hollow "victory" is childish.
    singularitydewme
  • Reply 36 of 56
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    spice-boy said:
    This could have happened to Apple, whatever is igniting these Sammy phones that component(s) could have included in an iPhone.
    Component-level failures do not excuse the product manufacturer (Samsung) from performing adequate Quality Assurance on the finished product.

When financial belts are being tightened, QA is one of the first corners to be cut.  This says more about Samsung than most folks are willing to extrapolate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member

Are you drunk? Out of your wits?
    He's clearly out of his wits. In a story where Samsung is selling a dangerous and defective product, that it didn't officially recall until the US government forced it to, this self-hating Apple user tries to draw parrarles to Apple.  Smh. 
    calinolamacguyanantksundaramDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56

levi said:

Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    Please stop trying to draw parralels to Apple...there are none. "Touch disease" is a problem with tiny percentage of phones that Apple immediately replaces in-store. Your life is not in danger because of "touch disease". 

This has class-action written all over over it because it's a legit case with potentially massive legal liabilities to Samsung, with a high probability of victory for plaintiffs. 
    calipatchythepiratepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    vukasika said:

I continued to be confused by these "incremental" vs. "major" improvements viewpoints. The 7 series has received a brand new, faster, 4-core CPU; vastly improved camera, with telephoto on the Plus model; a screen that produces "perfect" colours, etc. What "major" upgrades are people expecting from a device that already sets the benchmark for the entire industry?

We all complain about how slowly Apple rolls out upgrades, but there's one good thing — clearly they do their due diligence in safety testing. Do they catch every flaw? No, but do they ensure the product is not going to blow up in someone's hands? Yes.
    As an owner of the 6S and now the 7 Plus, I assure you that there is nothing incremental about this update. The only people complaining about "incremental updates" are simple-minded folks who associate exterior changes with major updates...it's so much more than that.  
    edited October 2016 brucemccalipatchythepiratenolamacguyanantksundaramchiaBluntDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    clemynx said:
    Charlie33 said:
    I just took back my replacement Note7 today and have the iPhone 7 Plus on order.  I left iPhones 3 years ago, I wanted more screen size, and I've had nearly every Android flagship since then.  I'm looking forward to Apple's vertical integration again and my phone having zero carrier bloat.  I still have my GS7 Edge so it will be fun to live with both.
    Shame on you. You don't need to change phones twice a year. Think about the environment!
    That's really pretty typical of a Android user!!! The long list of Android phones they've owned in such a short period of time.  Is it a way to keep getting a newer version of the OS.  Is it never being happy with the Android phone they get?  I see this all the time of Android users bragging about all these Android phones they've owned.  I just don't see it as a good thing at all.  I'm on my 2nd iPhone.  I had my iPhone 4 for 4+ years which was my first Apple Product ever, and then I upgraded to the iPhone 6 and am now on my 3rd year with it.  Next year I'll see if the next iPhone if the phone to get or just go ahead and go a 4th year.  I sold that 32 gig iPhone 4 to T-Mobile for $202 after being 4+ years old.  Try that with Android!!!  I figured I'd be lucky to get $50 for it at that point.    That is now you get your moneys worth with a iPhone.  Keep it for 4+ years and then sell it for $202.  The phone is paid off in 2 and after that your monthly payments drop to just the service cost.

I do have to say that Apple seems to have a big problem with Touch Disease on the 6 & 6+ and are completely ignoring it.  Once again going to have to be sued to do something about it.  While my iPhone 6 works great, I've also kept it in a bulky case it's whole life.  While it's not blowing up, or burning you or something dangerous, people being forced to pay for a replacement iPhone over this is wrong.    Remember the Mac's with the Graphic display issues that Apple wouldn't acknowledge either and had to be sued over that to do something about it.  Apple is not perfect.

ration al