Samsung suspends production of Galaxy Note 7, AT&T and T-Mobile stop offering replacements

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    jbdragon said:

I do have to say that Apple seems to have a big problem with Touch Disease on the 6 & 6+ and are completely ignoring it.  Once again going to have to be sued to do something about it.  While my iPhone 6 works great, I've also kept it in a bulky case it's whole life.  While it's not blowing up, or burning you or something dangerous, people being forced to pay for a replacement iPhone over this is wrong.    Remember the Mac's with the Graphic display issues that Apple wouldn't acknowledge either and had to be sued over that to do something about it.  Apple is not perfect.
    It's quite probable that Apple isn't ignoring "it", whatever "it" is. Rather, I expect that Apple is analyzing many of the iPhones that have been replaced and returned to find what the fault is. Seems like due diligence and Apple's part to find out what the cause(s) of the failure are. 
    calinolamacguyration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 56
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    dewme said:
    This issue has nothing to do with Apple unless the failure mode turns out to be a component or technology that is shared between Apple and Samsung. This is Samsung's problem to fix and safety regulators should ensure that the fix prescribed by Samsung actually solves the root cause of the problem. There is no way that Apple would try to intentionally try to profit from Samsung's stumble. Problems happen all of the time and need to be fixed, not politicized. Apple is totally focused on their own products and their own problems. While I'm sure Apple is keeping a close eye on this Samsung issue because of potential common components, they will stay on the high road for sure.
    Agreed. Apple has not taken advantage of this situation in the public media space, but they are most definitely benefiting from it with increased sales. I don't think Apple has used Samsung-made batteries before - have they? And I doubt such a problem would survive their quality control measures to exhibit a problem so close to launch. Samsung, in their typical arrogance of "we are better", failed to do quality-control checks to the required degree.

The iPhone 6 "touch disease" problem is a red mark on Apple's report, but that problem only started happening months or years after the product was released, and is not a safety concern.

dewme said:
    If Samsung does the right thing their sales will recover. Step one is admitting that they didn't fix the root cause of the problem and pulling the cord to stop production until the problem is resolved. This is exactly what any quality driven organization does, so let's see what Samsung does next. They can't afford three strikes on this issue.
    Yes, people will forget about this — unless the problem continues with new devices by Samsung, or devices with Samsung-made batteries.
    ration aldewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Will the Verge ever update their review for the Note 7?
    Calling it the BEST PHONE on the Market?
    What kind of POS site is the Verge when it won't update its reviews when the product is literally threatening to kill people?

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review: the best big phone

Samsung out-designs the pack with its best phone ever

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12491196/samsung-galaxy-note-7-review

Seriously Verge? Out-design the pack?

Another clown show is Techno Buffalo

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/03/galaxy-note-7-is-miles-ahead-of-the-iphone/

The Galaxy Note 7 is miles ahead of the iPhone

BY TODD HASELTON | AUGUST 3, 2016

"I don’t mean to trash Apple or its iPhone products, I just mean to point out that it seems to be severely lagging in the smartphone market."

"Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 supports fast charging and wireless charging, and there’s still no indication Apple will add either of those features to the iPhone 7."

Every Apple fan should go on twitter and give this clown Todd Haselton the business. His anti-Apple stance is so obvious. He proclaimed the Note7 miles ahead of the iPhone7 a month before the release of the iPhone7.  How's that fast charging working for your Note7 Todd?

Make sure you hashtag #BombGate in your tweets also. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    spice-boy said:
    This could have happened to Apple, whatever is igniting these Sammy phones that component(s) could have included in an iPhone. I'm not a fan of that copy cat company but gloating for this hollow "victory" is childish.
    The chances are that they share similar components. The difference is that Apple looks more carefully at how these components work together. 

palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    spice-boy said:
    This could have happened to Apple, whatever is igniting these Sammy phones that component(s) could have included in an iPhone. I'm not a fan of that copy cat company but gloating for this hollow "victory" is childish.

It DIDN'T happen to Apple. Fact is Apple doesn't rush out shit products. So no it wouldn't have happened to Apple.

nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Now we know why Apple hasn’t come out with fast charging and wireless charging yet. Instead of lagging behind Apple is making sure the technology is safe and adds value.
    ration alBluntpalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Samsung Galaxy note 7. "The hottest phone you can get your hands on"
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt said:

blitz1 said:

levi said:
    Public relations nightmare is an understatement.

So where are all the class action lawsuits?
    Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    Well, do you think people should sue Apple if iPhone 7 takes longer to produce?
    European perspective here, but I guess this whole class action thing is overkill: you get refunded and buy something else. No real damage done (except for those whose Note have really burnt, exploded, ...)
    Americans love class action. I hate it. There's no benefit to end user. I just got a check from ATT for class action and the amount in the check is $3.57....yup, can't even buy a Macchiato with the shitty amount and what the lawyers get: millions of $. 
    the point isn't to reward you, it's to penalize them. no corp wants a multi multi million dollar judgement against them. 
  • Reply 49 of 56
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    They had a news story on TV over the weekend about an iPhone catching on fire. At first I thought this was some BS story put out by Samsung to divert attention away from their PR disaster. Then I Googled "iPhone catches fire" and surprisingly there are numerous reports, photos, and injuries associated with burning iPhones. 
    singularity
  • Reply 50 of 56
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    volcan said:
    They had a news story on TV over the weekend about an iPhone catching on fire. At first I thought this was some BS story put out by Samsung to divert attention away from their PR disaster. Then I Googled "iPhone catches fire" and surprisingly there are numerous reports, photos, and injuries associated with burning iPhones. 
    Which is expected given the numbers of iPhones in the wild and that fact that many have sustained damage.

Here's a recent example damaged in transit:

http://imgur.com/a/LrhYz

Then there was the one a few months ago where a bicyclist in England fell and punctured his iPhone, catching fire and causing a severe burn on his thigh.

"Numerous" reports and "injuries" is pretty vague when you are speaking of shipping 200 million iPhones a year. Based in the reports I have seen, iPhones spontaneously combusting in the last year is easily under a dozen, but maybe you have actual links.

edited October 2016 Deelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 56
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    levi said:
    Public relations nightmare is an understatement.

So where are all the class action lawsuits?
    Why class action? Those directly effected can sue and will likely receive a settlement. All others will get a refund or comparable replacement. The issues effecting iPhone 6 if real and in significant numbers, are justifiably class action worthy. And I'm a shareholder. 

First off, what does you being an Apple shareholder have to do with anything?

Second, its more than just getting a replacement. People were told to power down and not use their devices. You think everyone has a spare phone lying around they can use while waiting for that replacement? Not all carriers were offering loaner phones while waiting, and people who ordered from Samsung online (direct) had no way to arrange for a loaner. Further, people who ordered online were inconvenienced even more since couriers (like FedEx) wouldn't allow old Note 7's to be shipped back by air. This caused additional delays.

You think people are going to individually sue Samsung for their inconvenience? Why don't Apple users with so-called touch disease individually sue Apple? Simple. It would cost far more to go to court than the few hundred dollars they would get. This has class action written all over it.
    1) I point out I am shareholder as any kind of mass litigation against Apple is against my interests. That said, if I bought a $700+ device from Apple that quit working for no fault of my due a design defect (yet to be confirmed) I would expect a replacement or refund - especially if it is less than 2 yrs old. It's called implied warranty - If I buy a new phone my reasonable expectation is for it to last several years.

2) Asking users to power down and exchange a device isnt imo does not meet the bar for class action - it's a logical safety measure. I don't expect users to individually sue for said inconvenience - it just strikes me as utter nonsense. Based on your initial comment I'd expect you'd agree. Seems you feel as I do that many of the class action suits brought against Apple are frivolous. Having to return a defective phone is the system working the way it should. 
  • Reply 52 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    volcan said:
    Spontaneously? Bs! These are probably using third party chargers and Apple addressed that long ago!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    There are 600000000 active iPhone out there and many of this fires happened when someone broke the phone
    the one trotted out iften is the guy on his bike who crashed and  something punctured the battrry
    in 9 years, iPhone who burned in normal usage are very rare despite hundreds of millions of phones out there most much older than Samsung phones

in this case you got several fires in a few weeks from less than a million phone in normal use; a catastrophic rate of failure 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    Apple has sold over 1.5 BILLION devices in its history.

And it has NEVER had a exploding device problem. EVER. EVER.
    PowerBook 5300.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Rayz2016 said:
    spice-boy said:
    The chances are that they share similar components. The difference is that Apple looks more carefully at how these components work together. 

I just don't understand the hate towards copy cat Samsung. If anything competition from them has kept Apple on their toes and we iPhone buyers have benefited. I bought a new HDLED tv recently and I purposely did not consider Samsung (bought an LG) but I would never gloat over this disaster.