More Galaxy Note 7 fires reported as cryptic communications from Samsung complicate exchange proces

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 situation continues to worsen, as two more replacement phones have lit on fire -- and communications from Samsung to afflicted customers trying to return their devices and the general public about the issue is compounding the problem.

Two more replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones in the U.S. in addition to the pair reported on Sunday have burst into flames, with one on Sunday morning, in Virginia. Richmond resident Shawn Minter woke at 5:45 to flames from his bedside table.

"My Galaxy Note 7 replacement phone just burst into flames while on the night stand," Minter said in an email to The Verge. "It filled my bedroom with a smoke. The same as the Kentucky man. I woke up in complete panic."

Minter was offered another Galaxy Note 7 as a replacement by Sprint. He refused, and opted for the Galaxy S 7.

"Even though there are a limited number of reports, we want to reassure customers that we are taking every report seriously." -- Samsung, regarding the multiple replacement Galaxy Note 7 fire reports.

In Houston, Texas, Daniel Franks' phone burst into flames at lunch on Sunday. Franks' phone had been replaced in September at Best Buy.

Samsung's ineffective communication continues unabated

Samsung continues to downplay the five reported replaced Galaxy Note 7 phones, and several from overseas, in multiple statements over several separate incidents. Even though there have only been five fires reported by the media of the replacement devices, there are likely more, plus in all likelihood several hundred thousand unreturned devices.

"We are working diligently with authorities and third party experts and will share findings when we have completed the investigation," again said Samsung. "Even though there are a limited number of reports, we want to reassure customers that we are taking every report seriously. If we determine a product safety issue exists, Samsung will take immediate steps approved by the CPSC to resolve the situation."

During investigation of his Galaxy Note 7 fire, Michael Klering from Kentucky received a misdirected text message from Samsung support.

"I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter," a Samsung support representative said in the message that Klering received. "We just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it."

In emails to consumers requesting refunds, as well as the official statement made after reports circulated that Galaxy Note 7 production was stopping, the language has been consistently unclear.

The e-mails to customers seeking assistance point to a nebulous third party "that specializes in recalls" handling the returns and refunds, which appears to be causing confusion. Samsung support claims to have only "limited information on a lot of the process" for refund claims.

Customers are also reportedly receiving emails with a different order number than was originally submitted, and are being directed to refer to the original confirmation order number to sign up, or sign up again, for return or reimbursement.

News spread on Sunday night that Samsung was ceasing production of the Note 7, based on sources familiar with the matter. Samsung has not specifically said that it is stopping production of the phone, however.

The company's official statement on the reports is that it is "temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters."

The two newest fire reports add up to five reported issues in a week, in the U.S. alone. None of the five phones were being charged at the time of the fires, with one of them completely shut off.

The shut off phone was on a Southwest Airlines flight. After the device started smoking, the airline evacuated 75 passengers from a flight preparing to take off from Louisville Airport in Kentucky on Wednesday.

Samsung issued a voluntary recall worldwide for the device after wide-spread reports of battery fires during charging that it initially denied. The company drew criticism from the U.S. Consumer Protection and Safety Commission for how the matter was handled from the initial denial of problems, to the voluntary recall process.

All customers who have purchased a Galaxy Note 7 should now be able to swap the device for a new one or for a refund either online or at wireless carrier corporate-owned stores, but the confused communications revealed on Monday cast some doubt on the simplicity of the process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I laughed in disbelief at this slow motion train-crash - then realised people could be seriously hurt by this fiasco from this irresponsible company. So, part of me is horrified this this is continuing, and part of me is laughing. A bit ashamed by the latter emotion, but there it is.

And yet, I bet you they will continue to sell their shitty phones for years to come. I'm not sure what's more shocking - that depressing prediction or the explosive phones themselves.
    jahbladepatchythepiratealbegarclongpathbadmonkwatto_cobraVanillamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Now you know about their customer service, if you should to choose to buy Samsung phone in the future.
    iosfangirl6001baconstangSpamSandwichalbegarclongpathdws-2pscooter63badmonkwatto_cobramatrix077
  • Reply 3 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You'd want your head examined to not ask for your money back and run as far away from this company as humanly possibly after that happening. Waking up and your bedrooom is full of smoke? Feck me, that's scary. Samsung are negligent and totally irresponsible. This will forever tarnish their brand—mark these words. Samsung are not just demonstrating a lack of leadership, but a lack of care and respect. Their products nor their company can no longer be trusted. A real rain is coming.
    edited October 2016 mobiuschiapte appleiosfangirl6001anantksundaramSpamSandwichalbegarclongpathpscooter63badmonk
  • Reply 4 of 35
    mobius said:
    I laughed in disbelief at this slow motion train-crash - then realised people could be seriously hurt by this fiasco from this irresponsible company. So, part of me is horrified this this is continuing, and part of me is laughing.
    I'm way past laughing tbh.
    longpathbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ireland said:
    You'd want your head examined to not ask for your money back and run as far away from this company as humanly possibly after that happening. Waking up and your bedrooom is full of smoke? Feck me, that's scary. Samsung are negligent and totally irresponsible. This will forever tarnish their brand—mark these words. Samsung are not just demonstrating a lack of leadership, but a lack of care and respect. Their products nor their company can no longer be trusted. A real rain is coming.
    Unfortunately, it won't tarnish their brand at all as no major news agency is really yelling about it.  And fandroids don't care either.  They'll buy any piece of junk from Samsung anyway because of their unbelievable hatred for Apple.
    equality72521jahbladepatchythepirategilly33ppjjpp1albegarcnolamacguylongpathpscooter63indyfx
  • Reply 6 of 35
    In the course of my profession I have been dealing with recalls on a regular level across many industries. While my impression has always been that a safety culture and sensitivity as well as a professional handling of safety issues is usually higher in industries such as automotive compared to consumer products, just from the details gathered from the press this case is easily one for the books in terms of "if you screw up then screw up to the max". Failure culture appears to be something they forgot to copy...
    iosfangirl6001baconstanglongpathbadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 35
    This might have been posted, but it's worth reposting.

mobiusjahbladeSpamSandwichalbegarcirelandlongpathbadmonkwatto_cobramagman1979lostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 35
    perkedel said:
    Now you know about their customer service, if you should to choose to buy Samsung phone in the future.

Whelp is Apple looking ANY better to Anroid or Samsung fans yet?

or are some seeing this spontaneous combustion as an expensive campfire alternative slash new feature?
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    "Meet my sister: Fire"
    badmonk
  • Reply 10 of 35
    It is version for WInter time. You should not be using it in warm conditions.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    ireland said:
    mobius said:
    I laughed in disbelief at this slow motion train-crash - then realised people could be seriously hurt by this fiasco from this irresponsible company. So, part of me is horrified this this is continuing, and part of me is laughing.
    I'm way past laughing tbh.
    Me too. This thing is getting to be a major cluster**ck.

Not in the least, I am also worried about whether and how it will have negative spillover effects on my ability to use an i-device during flights. We know that reactions from the government to these sorts of things end up being frustrating, bureaucratic, blunt-instrument solutions to the problem. 
    edited October 2016 chialongpathbadmonkwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Hottest phone on the market 
    zroger73ppjjpp1jcdinkinsalbegarc1stcoolfactorbadmonkwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 13 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    goofy1958 said:
    ireland said:
    Unfortunately, it won't tarnish their brand at all as no major news agency is really yelling about it.  And fandroids don't care either.  They'll buy any piece of junk from Samsung anyway because of their unbelievable hatred for Apple.

This is obviously a far more important issue.

Not only will I "lose" the adaptor, I'll lose the headphones too!
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 35
    goofy1958 said:
    ireland said:
    Maybe not.  But I know of 3 "regular" non-fandroid folks who bought Note 7s and returned them.  They are not buying another Samsung phone either.  There are a LOT of "regular" folks out there.
    irelandlongpathronnbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    subbies said:
    Hottest phone on the market 
    That was really good can´t stop laughing.

badmonkwatto_cobramagman1979lostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 35
    ireland said:
    And I can only imagine how toxic smoke is from an exploding/burning battery inside of a smart phone. Fire aside, that would be some nasty stuff to breath. I read one of the folks is having bronchitis from the smoke inhalation.
    netmagebadmonkwatto_cobramagman1979lostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 35
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmNf0v1zkTw

I found another one in Hawaii.

Go go Samsung...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 18 of 35
    goofy1958 said:
    ireland said:
    That's not entirely true. A few online with issues have already switched from Note 7 to iPhone. Many have switched away from Samsung. And it has been reported more than I think you'll admit. Clearly not nearly as much were it Apple, but that's probably Apple are the top-dog. I'm telling you this will have a long lasting affect on the Samsung brand. It's an argument anyone can use now to show evidence for how reckless a company they are. I never try to persuade anyone to use an iPhone, but I'd certainly advise an Android user to switch away from Samsung for their next phone. I can picture the scene in a store: "honey, which phone should we get, the Samsung or the Motorola etc."? "Well you can put that Samsung away anyway, they catch fire". The the staff member says, "no that was the Samsung Note 7, this is a different Samsung phone". "I don't care what you tell me, my baby girl isn't sleeping in the same house as any Samsung phone".

You'll get die-hard users of any company's phone, but they are never the majority of their customers. Most people just go for price and newness etc. Now it'll be, "no, I heard they catch fire".
    edited October 2016 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 19 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mobius said:
    I laughed in disbelief at this slow motion train-crash - then realised people could be seriously hurt by this fiasco from this irresponsible company. So, part of me is horrified this this is continuing, and part of me is laughing. A bit ashamed by the latter emotion, but there it is.

And yet, I bet you they will continue to sell their shitty phones for years to come. I'm not sure what's more shocking - that depressing prediction or the explosive phones themselves.
    Well, people are still buying Volkswagens so...
    magman1979
  • Reply 20 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

perkedel said:
    Even c|net info-babe Bridget Carey is urging people to ditch the Note 7 now. When c|net turns on you that’s a problem.
    irelandpatchythepiratepscooter63badmonkwatto_cobramagman1979lostkiwi