Three more lawfirms join class action over 'touch disease' affecting iPhone 6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Had this happen to 2 phones but was covered by AppleCare. The problem with the second one started almost immediately but it was frustrating as sometimes the phone would work just fine before starting again. It can take some time for Apple to acknowledge a problem but if and when they do, they will refund you the cost. Several years ago I had to pay $179 to get a new phone when something stopped working. About a year later, Apple acknowledged that it was their problem and a quick call got me a refund. 
    Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 22 of 37

sog35 said:
    This is total and utter BS.

Bottom line is these screens are 'failing' because these idiots have sat on their phones for years. Or course the internals will get damage.

AppleInsider needs to stop giving these baseless lawsuit press.

The REAL story is the Samsung phones killing people.
    People who have sat on their phones? Wtf are you talking about?
    Sog35 just makes up his own facts and bullies others on online forum. Poor Asian kid was probably molested and sodomised when he was in school. This is all due to adverse childhood experience. Poor thing
    What has 'Asian' to do with this?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    sog35 said:
    dklebedev said:
    Y'all can argue, but this ain't going anywhere except lawyers pockets. Apple sold 230 million iPhone 6, right? Take 10000 plaintiffs and multiply by 100. Highly exaggerated, but I'll give you that. Even a million faulty devices would make:
    1 000 000*100/230 000 000 = 0,4347%

That means there would be 99,5653% without IC problems. But in court you can't assume anything. They'll only count registered cases. Which would make for 0,004347%. That's not only insignificant, but actually is a really good fault rate.
    What defect is there for Apple to acknowledge? Let alone justify an out of warranty replacement. Just be glad Apple offers a discounted replacement instead of making you pay the full price.
    Yeah, yeah, numbers... When this happens consistently, albeit in a small batch, it still could point to a structural issue. And perhaps it just takes time to develop. If that is the case we will hear much more in due time. I still think Apple should do something more than just sit on their ass and deny all responsibility. Right now they behave like someone who closes his eyes and hopes it all blows over. Well, I think it won't. 
    Yawn.

If 99.999999% of phones don't have this defeat Apple should ignore it.

Apple does not have time to waste on such a small percentage of phones.

If phones were endangering the users then Apple would do something. But this is normal wear and tear from people sitting on their phones and bending it. I own a 6+ and it works PERFECTLY.  Just take care of your stuff and you won't have a problem.
    I own a 6 and it works better than my 6s. That does not say a thing.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    dklebedev said:
    Y'all can argue, but this ain't going anywhere except lawyers pockets. Apple sold 230 million iPhone 6, right? Take 10000 plaintiffs and multiply by 100. Highly exaggerated, but I'll give you that. Even a million faulty devices would make:
    1 000 000*100/230 000 000 = 0,4347%

That means there would be 99,5653% without IC problems. But in court you can't assume anything. They'll only count registered cases. Which would make for 0,004347%. That's not only insignificant, but actually is a really good fault rate.
    What defect is there for Apple to acknowledge? Let alone justify an out of warranty replacement. Just be glad Apple offers a discounted replacement instead of making you pay the full price.
    Yeah, yeah, numbers... When this happens consistently, albeit in a small batch, it still could point to a structural issue. And perhaps it just takes time to develop. If that is the case we will hear much more in due time. I still think Apple should do something more than just sit on their ass and deny all responsibility. Right now they behave like someone who closes his eyes and hopes it all blows over. Well, I think it won't. 
    Maybe Apple can follow Samsung's shining example, and totally fuck up the recall because Samsung doesn't really have an understanding of what the failure mode is.

I give Apple enough credit to to take the time to analyze any returned iPhones with this issue, figure out what the failure mode is, and come to a resolution for the customers that have the problem. The Class Action Lawsuit will certainly move this along faster.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Bottom line is these screens are 'failing' because these idiots have sat on their phones for years. Or course the internals will get damage.

People who have sat on their phones? Wtf are you talking about?
    Sog35 just makes up his own facts and bullies others on online forum. Poor Asian kid was probably molested and sodomised when he was in school. This is all due to adverse childhood experience. Poor thing
    Did. Not. Read.

People with 2 posts don't deserve the light of day.
    Yea. That's why you replied. Insecurities are showing. Must have been tough growing up
    Did.Not.Read.Again. 

LOL.

You can't just walk in this forum and expect to get any type of respect newbie. Nice try though.
    Come to me when you have at least 1000 posts.

Till then, go practice your 'skills' in the Verge forums. 
    You are not ready for the big boys, son.

I gotta say. With this comment of yours, you made me laugh more than last night's presidential debate. 
    I didn't know that entry to respectability was 1000 posts. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple needs to take a lesson from IB(f___n)M...
    IBM became dominant in the business machines market not by having the best product -- but by producing the best customer experience.  Their emphasis has always been on the customer.

Yes, Steve Jobs hated IBM.   He hated everything that they stood for...   But yet, by putting product before profit and driving that product towards the very best customer experience, he essentially adopted the same philosophy.

When IBM puts out a product that their customers perceive does not meet their needs or expectations, they do whatever is necessary to make that customer happy and satisfied.  When Apple puts out a top of the line product and fails to stand behind it, they are meeting neither the needs nor the expectations of the vast majority of their customers.
    ....  That is neither the IBM nor the Steve Jobs philosophy.   That is a loser's philosophy.

The question here is not whether the problem exists or who caused the problem.  It is:  is Apple meeting its customer's needs and expectations?
    I have a 2 year old near $1,000 IPhone 6+ that has been well cared for and is (knock on wood) working well.  But if it starts to fail after only 2 years and Apple blows me off, I will NOT be happy with Apple.   I will be extremely disappointed that I put my trust in them.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 28 of 37
    sog35 said:

electronics don't last forever, dude.

Sorry, Apple is founded and based on selling quality.   Disposable, throw-aways are not quality.   If Apple won't then others will...
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 29 of 37
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    My iPhone developed touch disease a few weeks ago and Apple gave me a new phone for free because I recently paid for a new screen to fix the upper speaker that mysteriously failed. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 37
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

electronics don't last forever, dude.

Sorry, Apple is founded and based on selling quality.   Disposable, throw-aways are not quality.   If Apple won't then others will...
    So previous iPhone's last forever?

As long as you don't sit on your phone for hundreds of hours you will be okay.

But regardless there will still be a small percentage of phones that will face some problems when they are 2+ years old. Its basic wear and tear. Stuff break down. Especially stuff you use 12+ hours a day 365 days a year.
    If this problem was clearly due to normal wear and tear, the article would not have been written.   Yes, there is dispute over whether this is a design / manufacturing defect or just wear and tear.   But simply claiming that it is, does not make it so.  There is obviously an issue and by Apple simply denying its truth will not make it go away...

Rather, if Apple wants to claim the quality title (and the premium price to go with it), it has to earn it with every product they make on a day by day basis customer by customer.  50 years ago American auto manufacturers tried to tell us they were making quality cars -- but the Japanese stepped in and proved they were selling junk that lasted 4 years before falling apart.  

You see, it doesn't really matter whether if it is wear and tear or a defect.  If Apple customers perceive that Apple sold them expensive junk and then refuses to stand behind their product, then Apple then DID sell them junk and refuse to stand behind their product because:  IT AIN'T WHAT APPLE SAYS, IT's WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS BELIEVE.

IBM found that out in the PC market too:   although they had the highest quality product on the market, people thought it was junk.   The PS/2 and OS2 are no more...   
  • Reply 31 of 37
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    sog35 said:

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

I had this issue on my phone which I got replaced for free thanks to Vodafone NZ carrying my warranty.

I've had it sitting in an Otterbox case (I chose specifically because the work I was doing at the time exposed my device to bangs and the Otterbox is a great rugged case), and the only pocket that it sat in was my front pants pocket which has more than enough room for the device and movement, although if I was going to do any real bending down I would take it out of my pocket.

The idea that this is SOLELY because people are not careful with their phones is both ludicrous and offensive to those of us who try to look after our gear.

I don't agree with a class action lawsuit however. It's greedy lawyers trying to get in on something and reducing the payouts to a point where the clients will not get anything that could repair/replace the device anyway.

What I REALLY want is Apple to bring the iPhone Upgrade program to New Zealand and then I won't have this problem. :-)
  • Reply 33 of 37
    MichaelJTimkoMichaelJTimko Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Has anyone heard of or seen this error in the 6s series?

On my 6s Plus, I see a one inch vertical grey band just underneath the clock on the lock screen (because I keep that screen dark).  Otherwise, if the screen is white or brightly lit, you don't see the grey band.

My wife, who has the regular 6s, complains of a lack of sensitivity in apps such as Pokémon Go when she plays with our kids.
  • Reply 34 of 37

There have been many articles of dubious claims of iPhone defects, like Bendgate. That in no way proves the claims are true.  Show me real proof that touch disease is a real problem and is caused by defective design by Apple. I have seen ZERO data that shows that. The only data I saw was people who bent their phones with misuse. Those phones get touch disease. Proof is that touch disease is non existent on the 6s, cause its much harder to bend. 

Apple is still the standard of quality. Every year we see this crap. Antenna gate, bendgate, now touchgate. And each year it turns out to be bull.

Again show me real DATA and FACTS that show that touch disease is caused by a manufactering defect by Apple.
    Sorry, you'll have to ask Apple for that data.   They're the only ones who have it.
    But, as I pointed out, the data is mostly irrelevant.   If customers perceive that Apple sold them a bad product -- and far worse, not backed it up -- that is all that matters.  You can spout your statistics all you want, it won't change anything.....

BTW, less than 0.0001% of Samsung's phones have ever caught fire -- and, after months of dilly-dallying, they have finally stopped production but still not clarified how they will make their customers whole.   Does that make you want to buy one?  What does the data tell you?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,043member
    My iPhone 6+ developed the IC touch problem starting when about 18 months in service and gradually became worse until it completely failed at the 20 month point.  The Genius Bar tech diagnosed, and acknowledged, the problem.  Apple replaced the phone for $347.

Folks, it's not BS and it's not a matter of sitting on it or being an idiot.   As a 81 year old retired telecom executive, my phone receives good care and is not carried in my rear pocket.  Believe me, the "touch disease" is real.   IMO the argument is whether or not Apple has a design weakness and knowingly sold defective phones.   The warranty is what it is -- one year unless extended.  That was known when we bought.  

Regardless, I've been an Apple product user for 34 years and am not about to jump over to Samsung!  
    Interesting first ever AI post...

...riiiiiight...
    I believe the guy. So what if it's his first post, it's reasonable.  To me the question is not whether some people have an issue.  Clearly they do.  They have a right to be unhappy that an expensive thing stopped working. If Apple wants to do something more than they're required to do - well that's the Apple we know and love. The question is whether you have a cause to sue.  I think not.

I think there's something the owners are doing that ruins the phones. If not sitting on it, maybe high heat, moisture, who knows. It doesn't really matter if they did something or Apple has a design that just doesn't last that long. After the warranty is up, they fulfilled their promise to the customer. If you're not happy and Apple won't try to make you happy ,  buy a Samsung. 
  • Reply 36 of 37
    The issue is real as my 6+ AND its warranty replacement both suffered from it. Apple then gave me a discount on an iPhone 7 that still had me out of pocket for over $150 dollars. Every company makes mistakes and can release defective product. What separates the good companies from the not so good ones is how they handle said mistakes and Apple gets an "F" on this one and deserves to be sued.