Apple Mac shipments slide 13% in Q3 amid PC market slowdown

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    According to Ben Bajarin premium Windows PCs are starting to take share from Mac. Rumors are Microsoft is going to introduce an iMac competitor at their windows event in NYC later this month. I don't think Apple can go too much longer without a Mac update. Why cede any of the premium space to Windows?
    "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it’s worth – and get busy on the next great thing." - Steve Jobs
  • Reply 62 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    ...Why cede any of the premium space to Windows?
    Not trying to judge, but that made me chuckle. One usually doesn't think of "Windows" and "Premium" together. However, you're point is taken, they have to start somewhere if they're going to try to get into that space.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    It's pretty obvious the slide is due to an old lineup that needs to be refreshed. If Apple releases new MacBook Pro models later this month that'll reverse the slide for the 4th quarter.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    According to Ben Bajarin premium Windows PCs are starting to take share from Mac. Rumors are Microsoft is going to introduce an iMac competitor at their windows event in NYC later this month. I don't think Apple can go too much longer without a Mac update. Why cede any of the premium space to Windows?
    I don't want to go through this thread again, but I think only one person acknowledged that Intel might be holding up the introduction of new MacBooks and/or iMacs.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 65 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    flaneur said:
    I don't want to go through this thread again, but I think only one person acknowledged that Intel might be holding up the introduction of new MacBooks and/or iMacs.
    Intel & AMD
    fastasleep
  • Reply 66 of 70
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Not surprising that shipments are down, since most Mac models are unchanged and remain at premium prices. I suspect a lot of people with older machines are holding what they have until new inventory with better features appears. I had been waiting for a new Mac Mini, but ended up buying the older, more expandable one rather than the new one that is hobbled and sealed shut. Of course, Apple will try to spin this as reason to further slow Mac development in favor of iOS devices; "See? Nobody's buying Macs because the iPad Pro is so great!"
  • Reply 67 of 70
    altivec88 said:
    I know Apple missed two upgrade cycles from our company.  We typically upgrade our MacPro's every two years.  We skipped the 2013 MacPro's because there was no improvement in cpu over our now 6 year old MacPro's.   We keep waiting....  If MacPro's are not part if this "stay tuned" refresh, Dell or HP will get our market share numbers for next quarter.  

I just wonder if this amazing pipeline Tim keeps talking about is clogged or something.   Seems like every other company is nimble enough to keep their computers refreshed, but the thousand day old MacPro that innovates out of Phil's ass is 2 generations behind on cpu, 3 generations behind on gpu, ports are outdated, low on ram and storage and is still priced as if it were new tech.   Man, I wonder why nobody is buying them.  As the article states, computer sales are trending away from consumers and more towards businesses and creative pros.  It would be nice if they showed some effort towards this market, otherwise don't be surprised to see their computer share continue to slide.
    "As the article states, computer sales are trending away from consumers and more towards businesses and creative pros."

So what you're saying is the PC (and Mac) market is witnessing declining market share due to negative sales growth and is thus being relegated to being a specialized device.  If so, why participate in such a market?
    Because it's basis of your phone and tablet market.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    ireland said:

I also hope they add Lightning to all Macs for wired Lightning headphone and EarPod consistency without need for a dongle. Otherwise if we don't want wireless headphones we need to use an adapter on our Mac to use the headphones that ship with our iPhone? That would be quite strange and it's something that would really annoy me.

Frankly I'd go a step further and change iPhone charging cables and plugs to Lightning to Lightning. Either go USBc across the board or do Lightning properly with Lightning, Lightning, Lightning and Lightning. And USBc for everything else.
    Agree entirely.   Both lightning (for audio) and USBc should be on every new Mac now. Including freshed IMacs, MBPs, and Mac Pros.    The MB, MacMini, and MB Air should also be refreshed in the next 6 months.

But I fear it just won't play out this way.    I know Steve Jobs was a computer guy.   I'm just not sure who at the top of Apple really cares passionately about computers.     I think Cook uses the iPad (that's probably all he needs for email and viewing spreadsheet).    Its for that reason why I think Siri development has been slow.   
    AI has always been the "Fountain of Youth" for programming - the ultimate goal.  Its just not urgent to Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    altivec88 said:
    I know Apple missed two upgrade cycles from our company.  We typically upgrade our MacPro's every two years.  We skipped the 2013 MacPro's because there was no improvement in cpu over our now 6 year old MacPro's.   We keep waiting....  If MacPro's are not part if this "stay tuned" refresh, Dell or HP will get our market share numbers for next quarter.  

I just wonder if this amazing pipeline Tim keeps talking about is clogged or something.   Seems like every other company is nimble enough to keep their computers refreshed, but the thousand day old MacPro that innovates out of Phil's ass is 2 generations behind on cpu, 3 generations behind on gpu, ports are outdated, low on ram and storage and is still priced as if it were new tech.   Man, I wonder why nobody is buying them.  As the article states, computer sales are trending away from consumers and more towards businesses and creative pros.  It would be nice if they showed some effort towards this market, otherwise don't be surprised to see their computer share continue to slide.
    To be fair the Mac Pros fell out of favor over half a decade ago, it is a shame they don't support it and keep it refreshed every year.  But from initial reports it never sold well anyway, definitely price has something to do with it.

Apple's top management seems to use or want to use the iPad as their "daily driver' PC, again unfortunate.

Let's hope Apple management realizes the Mac line provides more than just $$ but a foundation upon where their high margin products can sit.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    MacBAir said:
    Who in their right mind you:
    • Buy a mac with a TN panel;
    • Buy a Mac without a SSD;
    • Buy a Mac that has components from 2 or 3 years ago?
    That basically addresses all Macs on the market besides the rMB and the upgraded riMacs, that are expensive. Clearly this is the cause: Most Macs are crap.

However, Apple can easily mac the best personal computers. Are they waiting for something in particular? They have to be waiting for some special component, otherwise there's no excuse at all, besides milking uninformed users.