Apple issues third developer beta of watchOS 3.1 for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Wednesday provided registered developers with a third pre-release beta of watchOS 3.1 for Apple Watch, as testers say the forthcoming update seems to improve battery life.

watchOS 3.1 beta 3 is identified as build 14S471. It's now available through the Apple Watch app on a connected iPhone.

Unlike with iOS and macOS, there is no public beta for watchOS. Only members of the Apple developer program can install and test watchOS betas.

Release notes accompanying previous watchOS 3.1 betas have not detailed any new features. But some commenters on Reddit have indicated they have seen improvements in battery life after installing the update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

I'm on beta 2 on a Series 2, and have already been able to go two full days between charges, which to me is quite incredible (I've had it on for 6 hours so far today and still have 90% battery life left)

If beta 3 is eeking out more, I'd really be impressed. But as it stands now, much better then I anticipated

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Can a dev please post the release notes for this beta? I'm hoping it addresses the catastrophic battery drain that has crippled my AW. (battery life of 4-5 hours from 100% under usage the same as before watchOS3.)

• Reply 3 of 6
    WatchOS 3 is probably the single best release update this year.  It has literally transformed my original Watch into a workhorse that lasts me all day (and some of my days are 18+ hours).  Just wish some of the apps would step up to the plate and provide more functionality (but I suspect that is coming).
    r00fus1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    emoeller said:
    WatchOS 3 is probably the single best release update this year.  It has literally transformed my original Watch into a workhorse that lasts me all day (and some of my days are 18+ hours).  Just wish some of the apps would step up to the plate and provide more functionality (but I suspect that is coming).
    Just out of curiosity, are you pairing your AW with an iPhone 7?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Will the up grade is allow swimming pool pools of different lengths? 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Will the up grade is allow swimming pool pools of different lengths? 
    Version 3.0 seems to allow for that.