Workers at Australian Apple store accused of stealing, sharing photos of female shoppers & staff

Posted:
in General Discussion
A number of Apple store workers in Australia have been implicated in a scandal involving photos of female customers and staff -- including ones allegedly stolen directly from customers' iPhones.

The workers additionally took over 100 "close-up and explicit" photos on their own, and shared all of the images with other shops in the state of Queensland, the Courier-Mail said on Wednesday. Victims were ranked on a scale of 1 to 10.

The photo-sharing ring is said to have first come to light at Apple Carindale in Brisbane, where one worker noticed a technician going through a customer's phone contents in the repair room. This reportedly resulted in four people being fired at the store, and "an overseas HR executive" flying in to control the situation.

"One person would take a photo and add it to the chat and others would give the person or their butt or their boobs a rating out of 10 and they would add their own side commentary," an Apple staffer told the Courier-Mail. "Everyone feels uncomfortable and the female staff don't know how to feel because the leadership won't tell staff who is involved."

Apple leaders have allegedly refused to answer any staff questions or inform affected customers that their privacy was violated.

In an official statement, the company confirmed only an investigation into Apple Carindale, along with "several" firings there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Perverts are everywhere. 
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hate to say it, but Australian workers ain't doing themselves any favours here. As a nation they already have enough of a rep for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism. I'm not implying all Australians are like this, but I have known people who lived there who said it's noticeable. And when I personally attended the world youth Olympics the Australian athletes were by far the most obnoxious. I'm serious. The Japanese were by far the nicest, but then they commit suicide more than other nations, so perhaps a balance of factors should be the ultimate goal?

Not the most PC comment in the world, I know. But that is not my objective. Just some observations I've encountered. YMMV
    edited October 2016 jagnutanton zuykovstanhopeh2plolliverlostkiwimatrix077jony0
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ireland said:
    Hate to say it, but Australian workers ain't doing themselves any favours here. As a nation they already have enough of a rep for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism. I'm not implying all Australians are like this, but I have known people who lived there who said it's noticeable. And when I personally was at the world youth Olympics the Australian athletes were by far the most obnoxious. I'm serious. The Japanese were by far the nicest, but then they commit suicide more than other nations, so perhaps a balance of factors should be the ultimate goal?

Not the most PC comment in the world, I know. But that is not my objective. Just some observations I've encountered. YMMV
    I would have to agree, sadly true. 
    irelandstanhopelolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Often local culture cross common sense boundary. Apple always take hard stand against any such stupid behavior. and anyone who believes in this is idiot. "Apple leaders have allegedly refused to answer any staff questions or inform affected customers that their privacy was violated." On subject of privacy, there is no privacy as far as someone takes pictures of someone without their knowledge because everyone has phone with camera and they can and will take pictures at will. Unfortunately, not ethical or right but no law can prohibit such act(Unless such pictures are misused).. . 2nd, Google already knows more about you than you, your spouse and your children.So,privacy as we like doesn't exists any more.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 28
    wood1208 said:

Apple always take hard stand against any such stupid behavior. and anyone who believes in this is idiot. "Apple leaders have allegedly refused to answer any staff questions or inform affected customers that their privacy was violated."
    Newspaper is probably owned by low-life Murdoch.
    lolliverlostkiwihill60
  • Reply 6 of 28
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Thank God I can actually get laid.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

In all probability Apple don't know whose privacy has been violated. At least not all of them. Sleazebag employee takes a covert photo of someone in the store, there's not really any way to track them down and inform them.

The photos taken from equipment in the repair shop is a different matter, but they may not have any way of knowing where some of them came from. Especially not if the sleazebags deleted them before they got caught.

Apple should probably issue a general warning that the Carindale store had this problem. Which they kind of have done. No doubt any proper investigation will identify people who may have been subject to the problem, although I wouldn't trust the Queensland police to know what they're doing, or to not just take copies of the really good photos for their own purposes.

As for those who see Australia as a xenophobic and misogynist society, Queensland is on a whole other level. It's kind of like Florida in that regard.

lolliverlostkiwidysamoriahill60steveau
  • Reply 8 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So turn it up...

Just Trump it

ha ha ha
    dasanman69lostkiwifreshmaker
  • Reply 9 of 28
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    ireland said:
    Hate to say it, but Australian workers ain't doing themselves any favours here. As a nation they already have enough of a rep for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism. etc etc etc
    How dare you put down the people of a country such as Australia.  In my  extensive travels all over the world for many years, Australians are the nicest, most generous, most welcoming, kindest, friendliest, fairest, happy and free folk I have ever met !!  Look to your own backyard "ireland".
    edited October 2016 stevehclexmansirlance99freshmakerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    ireland said:
    Hate to say it, but Australian workers ain't doing themselves any favours here. As a nation they already have enough of a rep for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism. I'm not implying all Australians are like this, but I have known people who lived there who said it's noticeable. And when I personally attended the world youth Olympics the Australian athletes were by far the most obnoxious. I'm serious. The Japanese were by far the nicest, but then they commit suicide more than other nations, so perhaps a balance of factors should be the ultimate goal?

You're spot on, there is certainly a higher percentage of racist and sexists here than in many other countries. After living in Canada for a few years I was on a holiday in Cambodia with some of my friends from Australia. We were on a tour bus that had a few other Aussies that we didn't know. They were so rude and racist that we actually had to tell them to behave or go back to Australia. Really stood out to me how bad there behaviour was. But even my other Aussie friends were outraged and they hadn't been living overseas.

It's an embarsement to have people like that traveling the world and giving Aussies a bad reputation. Unfortunatly there are enough of them like it that it's not an unjust reputation...
    irelandlostkiwidysamoriabrakkenargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 28
    This behaviour is abhorrent. But isn't this a bit like how Facebook started?
    lolliverSpamSandwichwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 28
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    prokip said:
    ireland said:
    Hate to say it, but Australian workers ain't doing themselves any favours here. As a nation they already have enough of a rep for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism. etc etc etc
    How dare you put down the people of a country such as Australia.  In my  extensive travels all over the world for many years, Australians are the nicest, most generous, most welcoming, kindest, friendliest, fairest, happy and free folk I have ever met !!  Look to your own backyard "ireland".
    Nah, we can be a fairly racist lot at times, even if we don't want to admit it.
    edited October 2016 irelandlolliverdysamoriaargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    So long as there are humans involved in a segment of a service, there exists the possibility of wretched behavior.  It's simple fact.  Unless one removes humans from it entirely, there will always be the possibility of things like these happening again in the future.

What shocks me is that management in the store seemed to be aware of this problem and didn't do anything about it.  Why is always more then norm than the exception?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    prokip said:
    ireland said:
    Not just Oz though. Wherever you are from I'm sure there's a few too. I personally didn't give Australia this reputation btw.
    edited October 2016 entropysjagnut
  • Reply 15 of 28

The workers additionally took over 100 "close-up and explicit" photos on their own, and shared all of the images with other shops in the state of Queensland, the Courier-Mail said on Wednesday. Victims were ranked on a scale of 1 to 10.

Editors of AppleInsider;

If you supply a link to a news article, please make sure the article is in the clear.  I don't wish to pay for reading the article.

If such article is behind a paywall, attach a screenshot of the article.  f you can't, don't post a link.  You're doing a disservice to your readers.
    lolliverdysamoriaSpamSandwichanantksundaramnolamacguykuduargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 28
    prokip said:
    ireland said:

He didn't say we are all like that. Just that there is a reputation for a bigger than normal share of racism and sexism than other countries which is unfortunately true. We are not all racist/sexist and like you said those that aren't are usually very welcoming, friendly, happy etc... It's usually a very polarising difference. I have people in my extended family who are unfortuatly very racist. The rest of the family is the complete opposite and wouldn't have a racist bone in their body.

edited October 2016 dysamoriastompyargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Re the above comments about Australia... This is how I feel about my own country. Embarrassed at the racism and sexism (that seems to be getting worse lately), yet I know there are plenty of decent and ethical people here in the USA too. I think both cultures have a lot of brazen people willing to blurt out whatever they think and feel. That's good if it's to defend people from assholes (rare but increasing in certain contexts). It's bad if it's asshole behavior being blurted out (currently increasing because, it seems, the scumbag running for president has emboldened such people).
    lolliverargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 28
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Wow that is pretty fucked up. When I have had to take my rMBP in for repair, which has been many times over the past 3 years, (they finally installed a new screen assbly and logic board a couple of weeks ago) I also always wipe the entire hard drive. Last time as it has my life's work on it an a lot of confidential info I felt I needed to not only wipe the drive but overwrite it completely, just in case they replaced the mbp which they should have done instead of replacing the logic board the first time a few months after I bought it. This article no doubt makes me feel better about what may have seemed like extreme actions. This is in Brisbane.
    edited October 2016 Habi_tweetwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Hope one of the dudes sacked was the chap who didn't replace the battery in my wife's iPhone the other day "82% is still good"
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Hello all;

Just some of my opinions.

Yeah, the Apple Store techs at Apple Carbondale in Brisbane needs (if they haven't been) to be fired.  Their employment records should show that they are not to be trusted.  I had some of Macs repaired by the Apple Store here in the US.  The times that i've taken my Macs to them, I removed the hard drives first.  Security and my needs to use them while the Macs was at the Apple Store took priority first.  The techs had no problem with me taking out the hard drives.

But tell all of you one thing about Australians in general, I would trust them.  Over the last 5 to 6 years I've become great friends with 6 of them.  Personally one of them if the conditions was right I would marry her.  But the 6 friends I made are true ambassadors of Australia.  I have a unique opportunity of viewing their TV shows via satellite.  They have the same dreams and desires like us in the United States.  I've watched some of their AFL games and found them to be more family friendly than the NFL here.  

Yeah, each country has their bogans and rednecks.  I kinda regard both nations as sister countries.  Each unique but together makes a better world.
    lolliver