Samsung cuts Q3 profit estimates by $2.3B on ending Note 7 production

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    thrang said:
    Another long term issue for Samsung this: how much of this technology was part of the foundation of their next Note 8? Obviously, manufacturers share a number of components amongst many devices, so its quite possible large portions of the Note 7 design are part of the Note 8 planning. So do they scrap it all? Wait and see if they really figure out all the contributing factors? Revert to older 6 Edge technology? This is one big pickle for them far beyond the pyrotechnics...
    It's still pretty easy to guess how Samsung will proceed. They have no principles other than profit. They'll still produce the Note8 regardless of what name they call it. 
    "Introducing the Samsung Note8 Hand-Grenade"
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Profits are now expected to come in at $4.63 billion

That's still PROFIT, not a loss! This whole fiasco is barely going to affect them in the long run, darn it!
    True dat... (sigh)... I'd actually thought them paying a billion to Apple would hurt. Guess this won't either.

Actually, I bet Samsung would prefer taking this 19 billion loss over paying Apple 1, come to think of it.  

I hope Apple makes them pay that pocket change in the Supreme Court... then invest the money to surround Samsung HQ with Apple billboards... with Jobs staring out at them, chin on cupped finger... just to rub it in. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 23 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

boredumb said:
    I think, almost 4 weeks in, that we'd normally be expecting projected ship times for iPhone orders to be reeling in.
    The fact that, for the most part - and especially for the 7 Plus - they haven't been reducing, might be one measure
    of just how much this is going to benefit iPhone.

It could also result in some airlines refusing to ship lithium-ion-powered devices entirely, meaning they need to come by ship, train and truck.

Which would be an exceptionally unfortunate development, if you are suggesting that such a restriction might, hysterically, be applied to any and all "lithium-ion-powered devices", because it wouldn't simply mean shipping them, it would mean that no one would be allowed to use any of those devices in flight.  
    It would also blur culpability, instead of keeping it specifically 
    where it belongs - squarely on Samsung's shoulders...
    watto_cobrachiacali
  • Reply 24 of 31
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Profits are now expected to come in at $4.63 billion

That's still PROFIT, not a loss! This whole fiasco is barely going to affect them in the long run, darn it!
    But that's the profit from Samsung Electronics, of which Samsung Mobile is part of. Samsung Mobile will not be contributing to Samsung Electronics bottom line this quarter. So it is a loss for the division that make Samsung mobile phones. I would hate to see Samsung Electronics in trouble as they do make a lot of components for Apple devices.   
  • Reply 25 of 31
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    thrang said:
    Another long term issue for Samsung this: how much of this technology was part of the foundation of their next Note 8? Obviously, manufacturers share a number of components amongst many devices, so its quite possible large portions of the Note 7 design are part of the Note 8 planning. So do they scrap it all? Wait and see if they really figure out all the contributing factors? Revert to older 6 Edge technology? This is one big pickle for them far beyond the pyrotechnics...
    the galaxy note brand is dead...there will not be a GN 8.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichcali
  • Reply 26 of 31
    thrang said:
    It's still pretty easy to guess how Samsung will proceed. They have no principles other than profit. They'll still produce the Note8 regardless of what name they call it. 
    Man... 25,000 posts spamsandwich. That's a lot of spam for one sandwich dude.

How many years have you been posting? How many posts per day on average?  

I'd noticed TallestSki's is up around 44,000 or so. Do you have any idea who's at the top of the Ai leaderboard & how many posts he has?

Last question... Do any women everpost in Ai? Doesn't seem to ever be any, but that's hard to tell

How does it matter if spam has 25k posts? AI forums have been readable only because of guys like Spam, Sol, Marvin, Melgross, etc. Without them, we'd only have drive-by trolls to look forward to here.

You can view Spam's profile, since you are so interested. I know you joined in October 2011, have 83 (as of now) posts, 92 Likes and 18 Dislikes. It really is simple to find out how long Spam's been posting.

Even extremely divisive guys like TS are needed here. How does it matter if he has 40k posts or 5?

As for your last question, @Rogifan (_new, _old) once claimed to be a girl. There is another relatively new poster who seems to be a girl. Why are you curious to know?

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    thrang said:

I'd noticed TallestSki's is up around 44,000 or so. Do you have any idea who's at the top of the Ai leaderboard & how many posts he has?

Last question... Do any women everpost in Ai? Doesn't seem to ever be any, but that's hard to tell

How does it matter if spam has 25k posts? AI forums have been readable only because of guys like Spam, Sol, Marvin, Melgross, etc. Without them, we'd only have drive-by trolls to look forward to here.

You can view Spam's profile, since you are so interested. I know you joined in October 2011, have 83 (as of now) posts, 92 Likes and 18 Dislikes. It really is simple to find out how long Spam's been posting.

Even extremely divisive guys like TS are needed here. How does it matter if he has 40k posts or 5?

As for your last question, @Rogifan (_new, _old) once claimed to be a girl. There is another relatively new poster who seems to be a girl. Why are you curious to know?

foggyhill is our leading female engineer. 
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 31

boredumb said:
    I think, almost 4 weeks in, that we'd normally be expecting projected ship times for iPhone orders to be reeling in.
    The fact that, for the most part - and especially for the 7 Plus - they haven't been reducing, might be one measure
    of just how much this is going to benefit iPhone.

It could also result in some airlines refusing to ship lithium-ion-powered devices entirely, meaning they need to come by ship, train and truck.

Royal Mail in the UK already refuse to send anything with a battery in it (this was before samsung started its bombing campaign), that includes delivery by land. I bought a wee battery on ebay for my kids Nintendo DSi and royal mail stopped the package.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    flaneur said:
    thrang said:

foggyhill is our leading female engineer. 
    Who's the girl who had Pinky from Pinky and the Brain cartoon as her avatar? I don't remember her name she stopped posting a long time ago.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Appleinsider said:

Oh, look!   They've made the battery removable!
    You just can't stop that Samsung from "innovating"...
     :D 
  • Reply 31 of 31
    thrang said:

I was curious, simply curious. No need to be furious.

Listen bestkeptsecret, I served with spamsandwich. I knew spamsandwich. spamsandwich was a friend of mine. bestkeptsecret, you're no spamsandwich...
    edited October 2016